IGNORED

Seven Sisters friends make me angry

tankgirl

Well I'm not feeling very compassionate towards the grieving parents tonight. Meredith suffered an agonizing death because her parents, Scott and Susan, choose to live out some backwards, pious existance.

RIP Meredith. You deserved a better life and death than the one you endured.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realise she had passed away.

RIP Meredith. I hope that you're at peace wherever you may be.

This is from the Seven Sisters Blog:

"When I think of where she is right now and what she is seeing and hearing and feeling, oh my! I’m jealous!"

See you next tuesday, I'll pray for you.

I know the girls have done and said some remarkably idiotic/insensitive (at best, naive) things in the past, but this tops them all in my opinion. You're jealous of a person who spent 6 weeks dying in agony? Bless your heart.

Dilaudid, but it's stronger than morphine and may cause you the same problem. Did you get an IV dose or a shot, or orally? It may have been dose related or the method by which given. There's also demerol but it's not nearly as effective as morphine, and it too causes nausea. Sometimes they can give you phenergan with an opiate and you might not get the vomiting. I think there are some newer combinations being used also. Maybe someone working in hospice would know.

I've had it as a shot and through the IV when I had a cesarean.

I'm really glad to hear there are other options, although hopefully I won't need them. In addition to making me sick, the shot at least didn't really do anything for my pain.

NurseNell I'm sorry your son had to deal with pancreatitis. That's what nearly killed my husband. One of the doctors told us it's one of the most painful conditions.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I just mean that it's unlikely that they actually think she had cancer because she sinned.

There's definitely a lot of pressure in Christian, especially fundie, circles to not be sad when people die. It sucks.

Which is ridiculous considering Jesus wept at Lazarus' death, and Rachel weeps for her children.

I'm glad Meredith is no longer in pain and suffering her parents' "care", but that doesn't mean I'm glad she died - I wish she could have grown up and not died so young from a horrible illness.

Cancer is a horrible thing. It was swift for her, I have friends whose mom had brain cancer I think that for a year she was incapacitated/not really there most of the time. It's a very horrible way to die, and at 17, having had no life previously, it's just cruel.

Such a sad situation. I'm just appalled that they didn't give her pain relief. I guess in that case it's a good thing it was fast, she didn't have to suffer her family's "care" for very long.

Somewhat OT, but I notice everyone mentioning morphine for pain relief. Hopefully I never need it, but does anyone know if there are other drugs for comfort care besides morphine? I can not take the stuff, a single dose causes me to spend the next 24+ hours throwing up. After how often my husband was given it in hospital and this thread, I'm really wondering if there is anything else besides morphine.

Yes, there are LOTS of options, including adding something to control the nausea.

Many of them are opiates, and the only issue we run into is that folks on long-term opiates (morphine/opium-derivatives) need super high doses.

I agree with everyone else who say this is exceptionally cruel to deny the child palliative care. I have seen a number of deaths from brain cancers or brain mets, and it is a very painful death.

I remember, back in the day when I was still on the Kool-Aid, reading a book by Billy Graham where he laments the fact that folks are so doped up when they die these days, then cites a few stories where folks near death claimed they could see angels and heaven. Guess this must be a pretty prevalent idea. Deny somebody comfort care so s/he can tell you what s/he sees at death's door. Very generous.

NurseNell I'm sorry your son had to deal with pancreatitis. That's what nearly killed my husband. One of the doctors told us it's one of the most painful conditions.

The sad thing is for a week the doctor kept saying it was just a stomach bug. My son is a former defensive football player, and he was on the floor in a fetal position crying. It turned out that at age 28 my son had gall bladder disease, which caused the pancreatitis. Once the pancreatitis improved he had his gall bladder out and hopefully won't get pancreatitis again. Has your husband ever had a recurrence?

What happened to Meredith was nothing short of a heartbreaking tragedy. No dying person should have to suffer like that, especially when they have a large brain tumor.

Living with cancer is tragic and painful enough....but your own parents, who you expect to protect you, are denying proper care as you're dying? Is there a worse death? Not talking just physically but mentally. How betrayed she must have felt!

The sad thing is for a week the doctor kept saying it was just a stomach bug. My son is a former defensive football player, and he was on the floor in a fetal position crying. It turned out that at age 28 my son had gall bladder disease, which caused the pancreatitis. Once the pancreatitis improved he had his gall bladder out and hopefully won't get pancreatitis again. Has your husband ever had a recurrence?

Yeah, the hospital kicked him to the curb after a couple of hours and some pain meds, but no testing. Treated him like he was scamming meds, since at first he thought it was a back injury.

His was caused by a gall stone, too. And pretty much can't recur. Thanks to the delay in treatment he lost his 97% of his pancreas and his gall bladder. He also had multiple organ failure from the massive internal bleeding as his pancreas died. Sad it seems like most doctors don't even recognise it.

Archived