IGNORED

Oh that crazy Pat Robertson!

helloemi

I had been under the uninformed impression that Pat Robertson's wacky remarks only happened from time to time. I was proven wrong a few nights ago my husband turned on the 700 Club as a joke and we watched Pat's "Bring it on!" segment where he answers questions.

My favorite:

Caller: How do I know if my family is cursed?

Pat: You need to start by looking at your family tree, look at your mother, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother and see if they were involved with the occult or were witches.

This lead to a string of profanity being hurled at the T.V. :?

Oh Pat! My MIL is a big 700 Club fan and when ever my husband or I say anything against his wacky statements her response is "But he does humanitarian work so you have to overlook these things!"

We are considering starting a website featuring every offensive Pat moment, I just don't know if I can stand seeing his face that often. I did get bored and photoshop his face onto Bat Boys of Weekly World News fame, in honor of his love of the occult.

What is your favorite "Bat Robertson" moment?

*edit = riffles

I saw on Colbert that Robertson thought pot should be legal. That shocked me because I agree with him. No. I do NOT want to agree with him on any issue.

I saw on Colbert that Robertson thought pot should be legal. That shocked me because I agree with him. No. I do NOT want to agree with him on any issue.

I saw that clip as well. what was the context? the only thing I can imagine is that Pat has a medical condition that would be alleviated by smoking pot. there are several - glaucoma, MS, chemo therapy. AIDS? which is it? cause I can't belive that he suddenly is in favour of pot without some back story,

I saw that clip as well. what was the context? the only thing I can imagine is that Pat has a medical condition that would be alleviated by smoking pot. there are several - glaucoma, MS, chemo therapy. AIDS? which is it? cause I can't belive that he suddenly is in favour of pot without some back story,

Pat is elderly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had glaucoma (I believe that he is in his mid 70's, but I could be wrong).

As for the "witch" thing, I remember when I was a kid and the 700Club was on in our house they had lots of stories and guests on that were former witches or practiced the occult or voodoo or had been Pagans, so this doesn't surprise me. He's been pretty cracked for a long time!

I suppose the Witch example wasn't the most shocking for him ;)

The next question a woman asked if it was o.k. if her husband leared at other women even though he knew this upset her. Pat's answer was not so shockingly "You can stop and admire the sunset, so I don't see why not. We all know how men are" The same old men are visual creatures b.s.

I was suggesting that he is senile myself. Much of what he says doesn't make sense. He goes on and on against the occult, but much of what he preaches about talking to God and knowing the future is unbiblical and sounds more like divinination.

I was suggesting that he is senile myself. Much of what he says doesn't make sense. He goes on and on against the occult, but much of what he preaches about talking to God and knowing the future is unbiblical and sounds more like divinination.

When he prays, does he still say things like "I see a man with a burning pain when he pees, God is taking that from you now!" etc? I've read just about everything in the Bible, and that isn't there. Puritans burned people for that!

I occasionally watch the 700 Club to snark. Pat has said some batshit crazy stuff on that show for a long time regarding the occult, entertainment, and non Christian religions. The first time I saw the show, I was around 11 or 12 and Pat did a segment on things parents shouldn't buy their kids and he mentioned Goosebumps books. I remember my parents laughing at that because they bought me several Goosebumps books and they knew that Goosebumps was pretty harmless.

I think Pat is just incredibly self-centered. He is "progressive" on issues that affect older, middle class, white men. He may have experimented with pot in his youth so he wants that to be legal. He says it's ok for husbands to leer at other women because he can see himself in that position. But he is simply completely unable to relate to anything outside of that narrow frame, so in those cases it's always bad or always the devil working. One time some progressives wanted to pat him on the back for being sympathetic to an older man who had a very ill wife and was considering looking for a woman to date. But Pat was only sympathetic because he could see himself in a situation like that. If it had been the wife in the same position, his answer would have been very different. If it had been a black person, a young person, or a poor person, he would have answered differently. It's easy to empathize with people exactly like you, so I'm not giving Pat any credit.

Of course, Robertson only mentioned "mother, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother" as possible sources of a lingering curse. What about the menfolk in one's ancestry, huh? (Or, better yet, the concept that curses don't exist... nah.... that would be silly)

A woman that I used to work with was employed by the 700 Club at one time. Apparently you can call a number and there will be someone to answer and pray with you. She was one of those people. If you knew her, you would know how scary that would be....

Guest Anonymous

Pat: You need to start by looking at your family tree, look at your mother, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother and see if they were involved with the occult or were witches.

I bet he would love to take a look at my family tree, many of my female ancestors were accused of being witches, but not tried and killed like Salem witch trials. If it weren't for the fact that Pat has been spouting this stuff for years and years, I would call him senile. Now, time for me to go dust off my broomstick and find my book of spells and potions. :lol:

I bet he would love to take a look at my family tree, many of my female ancestors were accused of being witches, but not tried and killed like Salem witch trials. If it weren't for the fact that Pat has been spouting this stuff for years and years, I would call him senile. Now, time for me to go dust off my broomstick and find my book of spells and potions. :lol:

Haha, my family tree is full of women who were accused, convicted (1), or claimed to be witches! Pat would just die over it!

I had been under the uninformed impression that Pat Robertson's wacky remarks only happened from time to time. I was proven wrong a few nights ago my husband turned on the 700 Club as a joke and we watched Pat's "Bring it on!" segment where he answers questions.

My favorite:

This lead to a string of profanity being hurled at the T.V. :?

Oh Pat! My MIL is a big 700 Club fan and when ever my husband or I say anything against his wacky statements her response is "But he does humanitarian work so you have to overlook these things!"

We are considering starting a website featuring every offensive Pat moment, I just don't know if I can stand seeing his face that often. I did get bored and photoshop his face onto Bat Boys of Weekly World News fame, in honor of his love of the occult.

What is your favorite "Bat Robertson" moment?

*edit = riffles

Next time she says that, point out that both Hitler and Saddam Hussein both did remarkable work to increase good healthcare for all and set up an excellent schools system which dramatically raised literacy rates in their respective countries.

Is he the one who blamed 9/11 on lesbians and single mothers, or was that Jerry Falwell?

I think that was Pat!

Archived