IGNORED

MS GOP have gone off the deep end.

muffynbear

Okay, thanks for answering my question, AmyP. I think things are so polarized right now that if you don't vote pro-choice, you are effectively voting to end reproductive freedom for women. That is your decision, of course, but I think you need to be realistic about the results of your decision. As you say, you don't have to worry about it. I don't either, as it would take a miracle to get me pregnant at this point. But I have daughters and friends, and I care deeply about their health and well-being. I hope that you would too.

I agree with this, by not voting pro-choice, you are by default voting to ban abortion and right now it doesn't seem like you have thought through all of the ramifications of doing that. Like what would happen to women who do have abortions if it is illegal? So wouldn't it be better to vote pro-choice until you have thought out those these and either come to peace with the idea that a raped 12 year old should be forced to carry her baby or a desperate woman who had an illegal abortion should be put in jail for breaking the law or become pro-choice?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the fetus is a potential person. I just have issues when it is given some magical status, like it is more important than the needs and preferences of a real live already-developed person. Forcing a pregnancy is like forcing someone to donate an organ.

When you come here with arguments that are already overused by pro-lifers and use the exact same incorrect phrasing, it really triggers the trolldar. I am not saying you are a troll, just explaining the negative reaction.

I don't think that abortion rights are always going to be the deciding factor in who to vote for. I almost always vote for pro-choice candidates, but it isn't because of their position on that issue

( which I am middle of the road on - if there were such a thing anymore ).

The pro-choice candidates are just always the ones who reflect my other political opinions regarding social justice, the economy, social services, immigration, foreign policy etc. etc. which are usually extremely far to the left end of the spectrum.

I can see how if you were generally right wing you might tend to vote for candidates who were also pro-life, even if that wasn't your primary concern - or even if you disagreed with them on that one issue.

But with how polarized and extreme the right wing has become concerning reproductive rights it would seem, to me, that many generally conservative women might want to go for the more pro-choice candidate at this time. I think it is the moderates, independents and right-wing voters who are going to need to make this one of their primary issues in picking a candidate at this time in order to stop the extreme agenda being put forth.

Archived