IGNORED

proof abstinance only teaching does not work.

doggie

I found this on fml and about died laughing.

Today, I was sitting in my school's crowded auditorium. When our single, abstinence-only ballsack of a Sex Ed teacher was announced to be stepping down due to being pregnant, I burst into uncontrollable laughter. My reward was aching sides and a week of detention. FML

Well, the "abstinance only" thing is often not the choice of the teacher. It really is often mandated by the government/district/whatever. Teachers have so little say in their curriculum anymore.

And if she was being told she had to step down, I see a BIG lawsuit.

I really doubt it is true.

Well, the "abstinance only" thing is often not the choice of the teacher. It really is often mandated by the government/district/whatever. Teachers have so little say in their curriculm anymore.

And if she was being told she had to step down, I see a BIG lawsuit.

I really doubt it is true.

If it was a religious school with a moral code, it could very well be true.

If it was a religious school with a moral code, it could very well be true.

I can't see a religious school making an assembly to announce it- they'd likely just quietly get rid of her. And the lawsuit thing, yep, there is a teacher in Florida in the process of suing her former employer for firing her after she got pregnant a few weeks before her marriage. Moral codes are there, but aren't always legally enforcable.

ETA- I am trying to find an updated article on the Florida case, but can only find one where the judge said that she was allowed to sue because no moral clause was enforcable. It also stated that part of her lawsuit was that letters were sent home to parents that said she was fired for "Fornication."

I can't see a religious school making an assembly to announce it- they'd likely just quietly get rid of her. And the lawsuit thing, yep, there is a teacher in Florida in the process of suing her former employer for firing her after she got pregnant a few weeks before her marriage. Moral codes are there, but aren't always legally enforcable.

Do sex ed teachers only teach sex ed? could she have a lawsuit if she would be not teaching sex ed anymore, but still teaching her regular classes?

In any case, lawsuits take time, so we might not here about anything before a while. If some stpid asshole took a 15 y-o in front of everyone and announced she was pregnant I don't find it hard to believe another asshole thought it was ok to fire someone over being pregnant. Hey in France, where they're much more macho, someone had testified her employer got her in his office a week after she was back from her maternal leave and told her well I could not fire you before because you were pregnant but now I can. She sued him (you can't fire someone coming from maternal leave for 2 months or something).

Laws are there to protect but it means some people have to use them to protect their rights.

who knows but it really shows the irony of the worthless abstinence only education. Hey because if you don't teach kids about sex they won't even think about it till married don't ya know.

Do sex ed teachers only teach sex ed? could she have a lawsuit if she would be not teaching sex ed anymore, but still teaching her regular classes?

It would depend on the contract (if it was a union school) if it was okay to just relase her from the one assignment and move her to another. In CA, most contracts state that you can only be removed if they have followed the proper channels. (being pregnant out of wedlock would not be an acceptable reason to move somebody from sex ed.) OR the position was eliminated. If the position is eliminated, the teacher will bump other teachers with less tenure for a position in another area. It could be that she was teaching only sex ed, but it could have been a combination position.

Laws are there to protect but it means some people have to use them to protect their rights.

Yep, but usually if there is a well publicized lawsuit going on someplace else, it does make people wait to see what the outcome of the first lawsuit is going to be.

In a lot of schools there are no sex ed teachers per se; the PE teachers teach sex ed. At my middle school the sex ed teachers (who of course taught only abstinence) worked with a local clinic or something. They didn't actually work for the school.

I don't know why it would be publicly announced though; unless it's a private Christian school where slut-shaming is considered A-OK. Or if the teacher figured everyone thought she was married-- happens to a lot of unmarried female teachers, I hear.

Or she could be stepping down because she is moving, high risk pregnancy, has a new job, wants to focus on the pregnancy only or any number of reasons.

Like so many internet stories, I am not sure if it is true. If it is, I am not sure about the legality of it.

All I know is that the story was HILARIOUS! I laughed!

Or she could be stepping down because she is moving, high risk pregnancy, has a new job, wants to focus on the pregnancy only or any number of reasons.

That's what I was thinking since it doesn't say the word fired. Regardless of occupation I think pregnancy is a time when a lot of people step down, change jobs or other things. Also while it says single we don't know how much the students know about their teacher. It could be an unmarried woman in a commited relationship that due to the pregnancy will be joining her boyfriend who lives elsewhere.

Archived