IGNORED

Gothard/ATI Books and Materials

helloemi

Your name is supposed to help you discover your "life purpose" too... he doesn't just use..um.. creative interpretations for health. I don't think he thought through it very well, considering that most people who come into ATI after they're born don't have what Doug calls "epistemologically self-conscious" names.

I always had a terrible time with my name as a Gothardite because I'm still not sure what it means. I've seen it defined as a feminine form of Daniel (which I don't think it is, actually; it just has some of the same letters), or as "from Denmark" which is ever so inspiring. One Christian name book gave a valiant effort and defined it as "industrious" because supposedly, people from Scandinavian countries are particularly hard-working. Given that I was always pretty low-energy and easily distracted, I found this definition ironic.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first name means crowned one, my middle names mean consecrated to God and protector or Valkyrie, which I didn't know but LOVE.

Anyway, I just decided that related to my health, this means I'll be crowned with good health if I listen to lots of Wagner.

http://www.pfo.org/evol-fad.htm

this Anti-Gothard site has a few jems.

Scroll down to 'DISCIPLESHIP OR SHEPHERDING?'

In the publication, Gothard dogmatizes on many personal and peripheral issues. On pages 78-101 he teaches that under no circumstances are we to borrow money or buy on credit. In his use of Romans 13:7, Gothard ignores the context, which has to do with paying taxes and not withholding the “love debt†we owe others. The best that can be said about the verse is that we should pay debts on time. Anything further is misinterpretation.

Then on pages 103-115, Gothard devotes considerable space teaching on how to become sales-resistant. This is ironic, considering all that the Gothard organization sells.

In the Advanced Seminar Textbook, he provides on pages 276-281 information on how women are to select makeup and choose colors that enhance skin tone, how to choose a hair style, how to wear accessories and the place of accents on the clothing as well as how to stand (with illustrations) and why to avoid any slits in the skirt.

Beyond these materials is a large set of notes called Advanced Training Institute of America. In it he teaches on: self image, responsibility, conscience, rights, freedom, success, purpose, friends, engagement, finances, gratefulness and prayer. With material this extensive one can only wonder when there would be time to read the Bible.

THIS is the question Gothardites need to ask themselves. Aren't you supposed to study ONLY the bible (basically)?

Some of the material borders on silly. Proverbs 6:6-8 advises us to think ahead like an ant and to make proper provision for the future. The simple illustration and context are very clear. But why leave it so simple and so easy? From the biblical illustration, Gothard develops an elaborate 20-point system (with drawings and illustrations) around ants.28

Equally serious is Gothard’s misunderstanding of key doctrines. The Advanced Seminar Textbook offers “operational definitions.â€30 They are misleading and wrong. “The Grace of God,†which is God’s unmerited favor, is defined as: “The desire and power to reproduce ourselves spiritually.†In this redefining and recasting of grace, Gothard does not even come close. The source of grace is God, not ourselves. It is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8-9).

ETA: Ants are sexless drones worship a queen (FEMINISM!). Males are birthed only to impregnate the queen, and quickly die. Bill may want to rethink his ant analogies after watching a little Animal Planet.

Mine would be "pure" for first name, "hardy or brave" for middle, and then "law" for the last.

If this is to help me find my "purpose in life," should I be a lawyer? But wait, I'm a woman, and Gothard/ATI-ers don't really let their girls do that, so what to do???

And don't parents name their children? They would then have some control over their child's future profession and health. :?:

At his Advanced Seminars in 1983, Gothard introduced sex regulations based upon Old Testament commands. Under the session titled “Six Purposes, Principles, and Keys To Fulfillment In The Marriage Relationship,†he told married couples to abstain from physical relations: 1. During the wife’s menstrual cycle; 2. Seven days after the cycles; 3. 40 days after the birth of a son; 4. 80 days after the birth of a daughter; and 5. The evening prior to worship.14

5. Don't they worship every day? :lol:

On pages 170-171, Gothard suggests that a man keep track of his wife’s menstrual cycle and use it as a reminder of the sufferings and death of Jesus, then quotes Isaiah 53:4-5. This is unnecessary as Jesus already gave us the reminder of his suffering and death by the ordinance of The Lord’s Supper (1 Corinthians 11:26).

I missed this one!

Elaborating on the benefits of abstinence, Gothard includes the strangest testimonial about abstinence even after a woman’s cycle stopped following a hysterectomy.16

Yet another vivid illustration of Gothard’s authoritarianism is found in his Men’s Institute Curriculum, where a set of notes contains a page titled, “How to Make Your Worship Service a Source of Scriptural Power.†Under the subheading, “God’s Order†is found:

“1. Enter with praise

2. Give sermon first

3. Confirm message with singing and testimonies

4. Examine self with Communion

5. Unite in righteous prayer

6. Conclude with the offering.â€20

thank you visionoyahweh for sharing all the crazy with us!

My name means wildflower or something, but I am named after a weed. Also the name is tied to a nice place to roll around, and get busy in many a bodice ripper novel. Also a name of a kick ass teen dark comedy. So for health, I can be connected to weed(s), sex and getting a good laugh at the dark side of life.

I think we might have the same name.... if the kick ass teen dark comedy also included a girl named Veronica.

The name Jinger is very obvious! :whistle:

The key to health with Jinger is to brew into a tea and sip to cure nausea. (especially the nausea that results after reading Gothardite teaching materials!)

My first name means "pure", my middle "princess" (ick) and my last name "son of a gun"... So... Princess Vespa from Spaceballs...?

Crap, I just looked up my name, in Greek it means harbinger of death. Shit, I'm hoping to start med school next year. Guess I won't be revealing the meaning of my name to anyone. Perhaps this is a sign I ought to specialize in palliative care.

"On pages 170-171, Gothard suggests that a man keep track of his wife’s menstrual cycle and use it as a reminder of the sufferings and death of Jesus, then quotes Isaiah 53:4-5."

Is this why the Duggars do the ATI version of niddah?

My name's better than I thought. My first name means "beloved" in Hebrew & my middle name has a Spanish origin and means "pretty one". Not bad ... So, everybody should love me as much as my puppies do & see that I *am* the fairest of them all! LOL

My first name means daughter of man. My middle name means God like :dance:. Since I am God like, I demand that you all bow dow to me. :bow-yellow:

This is actually a pretty cool thread, if for no other reason that it inspired me to look up what my name really means. My first name means... well, not really anything. It comes from the name of an old Celtic tribe. The tribe's name somehow later became the name of a fairly large geographical region in Europe. As for what that old tribe's name meant originally - well, we don't know. We'd have to go back at least 2000 years to find out. The name apparently was shorthand for "warlike" to the Romans and other Europeans. (An old stereotype, presumably) So as to medicine, I'm going to declare war on any diseases?

My middle name is more straightforward. It means "free man" (as opposed to a nobleman or serf). In reality it is my middle name because it is my dad's first name. I guess I can be free of diseases and general illnesses.

Well, this exercise has been most illuminating. I'm gonna declare war on y'all and not be enslaved by the hivemind here. Or something.

"On pages 170-171, Gothard suggests that a man keep track of his wife’s menstrual cycle and use it as a reminder of the sufferings and death of Jesus, then quotes Isaiah 53:4-5."

Of course if a husband reminds her of the sufferings while she's on the rag he may get to experience them first hand!

• 1 year later...

Have you tried paperbackswap for ATI/Gothard books? That's one way to get your hands on this stuff without paying him a penny. Here's what's available right now: http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/browser.php?s_type=a&k=gothard%2C+bill&ti=&a=&g1=&g2=&g3=&g4=&g5=&b%5B%5D=Paperback&b%5B%5D=Hardcover&b%5B%5D=Audio+CD&b%5B%5D=Audio+Cassette&pd_type=e&pd=&r=n&sby=&oby=ASC&ts=

I have a membership to the site and could get a book. Right now I'm going through 'Every Man's Battle' for snark purposes, and eventually get another copy of Not Even A Hint, but maybe I could add a Gothard book to the queue. Whaddya think?

My name is a female name meaning, apparently, "manly". Or "free man". Or, possibly, "strong" and/or "song of happiness", depending on which name meanings website I'm browsing. I am a manly, strong, free woman and therefore in order to be healthy and sing a song of happiness, I must tell the patriarchy, and indeed Gothard himself, to suck it.

My name is Jihad,and it means Holy war! No,seriously...

I wonder if that would make a good Duggar name? It does start with a J,after all. :P

And it's better than Jezebel,Jehovah or Judas,no?

My name is a female name meaning, apparently, "manly". Or "free man". Or, possibly, "strong" and/or "song of happiness", depending on which name meanings website I'm browsing. I am a manly, strong, free woman and therefore in order to be healthy and sing a song of happiness, I must tell the patriarchy, and indeed Gothard himself, to suck it.

dramallama,

I think we must have the same first name! :D

What the hell? So they take the practice in the Old Testament and manage to make it worse.

Archived