IGNORED

Gothard/ATI Books and Materials

helloemi

I have been dying to get my hands on some Gothard books/Wisdom booklets/anything that would state the rules to live by. I am aware that ATI families have a strict code of conduct and everything I am finding online is a secondary account. Being the librarian nerd that I am, I have a "thing" for primary documents. The books don't seem to be available to libraries because a world wide interlibrary loan search pulled up nothing.

Amazon has them for sale used, which I am loving because the only way you are supposed to be able to buy them is if you are a member or attend a workshop.

http://www.amazon.com/Institute-Basic-L ... 50&sr=8-10

This book seemed like it would be interesting.

Has anyone had any luck finding this information online? There are a few good websites out there with stories of former members, but I am looking for information from the organization.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe a former ATIer posted awhile back that she had some materials and would scan them for us, but I don't think she ever did. I'd love to see anything that the uninitiated aren't allowed to see.

That was me and I kind of forgot. My scanner was broken then, but it is now fixed, I will try and get it done soon. I just have to figure out how to black out personal info.

I still have an IBLP text book. It's at my parents, but I can get it and scan it if formergothardite doesn't have one.

Ohhh, I am looking forward to seeing some of those!

I have always wondered in curiosity how fundies interpreted evolution and history when actually teaching their kids...

Good news for any other nosy people out there who weren't previously immersed in ATI/IBLP- you can now buy the books directly off the ATI website (no membership number required).

I just purchased a new copy of the Basic Life Workbook for $5. If formergothardite (or anyone else who lived in ATI) has any recommendations for which books/workbooks have the most intriguing/wtf stuff written in them, please do feel free to share with me so I know what to order next time! :)

I still have an IBLP text book. It's at my parents, but I can get it and scan it if formergothardite doesn't have one.

I do not have that. All I have is some EXCEL material and I'm sad because I just realized I tossed all the stupid tests they made us take (and I barely passed) along with the map of NC I was forced to draw from memory. I have no idea what the point of drawing a state map from memory was, but I actually did a pretty damn good job at it.

Thanks for the tips on where to track these down. $5 seems like a steal, and it isn't enough money that I feel guilty giving it to ATI because I assume that just covers the cost of the book.

I admit that I am nosey. Every since I was a kid I had an interest in cults and secret societies... I was an odd one.

I have no idea what the point of drawing a state map from memory was

To fill your head with geography, instead of critical thinking?

They show up on Ebay from time-to-time. You might be able to find some of the children's materials--the Character Sketches thru Interlibrary Loan.

I did look on ebay, but the prices were actually cheaper to buy them direct from gothardism. But if someone was really morally against giving gothardism even $5, then I could see ebay might be the alternative.

The meaning of names is very important to Gothard! Here's an excerpt from Gothard's Medical Training Institute of America.

Basic Care Bulletin 1: How to Make Wise Medical Decisions

Step 1 - Use the meaning of your name to motivate good health

The meaning of my name is ____________.

My name related to good health would be ___________.

Example:

My name is Bill. My name means "protector."

My name, related to good health, would mean: "I am to protect my own health and the health of others."

For further information on the meaning of names, see:

Life Notebook, pages 5-18

ATIA Wisdom Booklet 17, pages 719-730

Gothard twists scripture to manipulate an adult into thinking that he or she has to do whatsoever his or her parents say, even if he or she absolutely believes it is wrong for them to do.

Here's an example of such brainwashing from the Basic Seminar Textbook.

How to Make Wise Decisions

One day a group of Christian students was given the following situation: A certain fellow met a girl whom he loved very much. They decided to get married and set the wedding date. As the time approached, he began to have various doubts about this being God's will. How could he be certain that it was God's will?

Those students quickly named six of the following eight means which God uses to reveal His will to us. Not one student guessed the other two.

Their response was a significant indication of why so many youth today are drifting without clear direction and are continually making wrong decisions.

1. Scriptures - A person may be able to read the Bible, but may miss or not understand the principles that apply directly to his situation.

2. Government - A person may fulfill the regulations of age and citizenship which government requires and still have doubts about marriage.

3. Ministers - A minister may give encouragement on the basis that each person is a fine Christian, but the doubts may still remain.

4. Circumstances - A person, in trying to reassure himself, may try to translate circumstances as God's approval.

5. Friends - A person's friends may give encouragement because they think that will make him happy, and they wouldn't want him to miss out on marriage.

6. Prayer - A person's prayers must be based on discerning what God intends to do - not on "twisting God's arm" to do what he wants to do.

7. FATHER - ESSENTIAL MEANS OF FINDING GOD'S WILL [caps and bolds are Gothard's]

8. MOTHER - ESSENTIAL MEANS OF FINDING GOD'S WILL [caps and bolds are Gothard's]

"My son, keep thy Father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: when thou goest, it shall lead thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee." Proverbs 6:20, 22

Step 1 - Use the meaning of your name to motivate good health

The meaning of my name is ____________.

My name related to good health would be ___________.

Example:

My name is Bill. My name means "protector."

My name, related to good health, would mean: "I am to protect my own health and the health of others."

My name means princess, how the hell does that relate to good health? I'm a princess of God so He'll bless me with good health or something like that? What if your named Olivia, does that mean that to have good health you must eat a lot of olives?

I own "Institute in Basic Life Principles" Basic and Advanced Seminary Textbook, so if someone wants something out of that, I will cater. Bought them over ebay.

But I was mainly interested in the real crazyness about the rules about dressing, headcovering and make up for women, and they are not in there, or I overlooked it.

My name means princess, how the hell does that relate to good health? I'm a princess of God so He'll bless me with good health or something like that? What if your named Olivia, does that mean that to have good health you must eat a lot of olives?

Nope. You're a princess so everyone around you must worship at your altar and bring you yummy/healthy treats!

My name means harvester. So I'm supposed to harvest my own good fruits and vegetables, yet I can't keep house plants alive. :D Hee!

Nope. You're a princess so everyone around you must worship at your altar and bring you yummy/healthy treats!

My name means harvester. So I'm supposed to harvest my own good fruits and vegetables, yet I can't keep house plants alive. :D Hee!

Probably because you listen to music with a beat. That kills house plants according to Gothard.

Probably because you listen to music with a beat. That kills house plants according to Gothard.

Then what's Michelle Duggar's excuse? Does her name mean "black thumb?"

My name is Michael. My name means "Who is like God?."

My name, related to good health, would mean: "Obey my god-like commands and you will have good health."

It's fun being a man in the patriarchy!

I had wondered why the Bates made a big deal over their stupid made-up "meaning" for baby Jeb's name. Now I get it. Sort of. But not really. Why not incorporate numerology or tarot cards into the "religion?" No difference. Is there really a meaning for a made up name like Jinger or Addallee? I guess those kids are destined to Hell (or at least bad health.)

And this was my first experience seeing what's in the Gothard materials. I'm...underwhelmed. THIS is what has such a hold on so many? I REALLY don't get it. (Scratches head in confusion.)

My God, Gothard talks a load of old shite.

I've got a relative named Chardonnay. I wonder what this says about her health. *headdesk*

I've got a relative named Chardonnay. I wonder what this says about her health. *headdesk*

In massive quantities she is a painkiller. She can also aid you in getting pregnant.

Would parents giving their child a "less than holy" name (I'm thinking of you, women I met named Tequila and Jezebel) count as parents passing their sin down to their children then?

I know that I can't go around trying to make sense of this, or my head may just explode :? You know, as a woman that is thinking and all.

Archived