IGNORED

Why are Christian Headcoverings so ugly?

polabear

Sunnichick31, I was wondering when you'd show up to join this discussion! :) Thanks for the compliment. I can't tell you how many times my friends have seen my 'hijabi photos' and told me, "MashaAllah!" :D

I wear tichels sometimes, too, but you're right: They do have a harder time staying on. When the ears and neck aren't covered, it's easier for fabric to just slip right off your head.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm...And some of these don't look half-bad:

http://www.christiancoverings.com/category_7/Veils.html

The veils remind me of some of the modern veils of nuns. Funny to think that while most nuns today wear short veils or choose not to wear a habit at all, fundamentalist christian women might someday start to look like these ladies :P

http://www.nunsandsisters.com

The veils remind me of some of the modern veils of nuns. Funny to think that while most nuns today wear short veils or choose not to wear a habit at all, fundamentalist christian women might someday start to look like these ladies :P

http://www.nunsandsisters.com

You're right! I find that funny, especially since so many fundies do not like Catholics.

RR88, you are beautiful! What style of hijab are you wearing? Or how did you create that style? I live in a super windy area and I have allergies--it just makes sense to me to cover up my hair so I can shake that dust off. Plus I think hair coverings are just pretty.

RR88, you are beautiful! What style of hijab are you wearing? Or how did you create that style? I live in a super windy area and I have allergies--it just makes sense to me to cover up my hair so I can shake that dust off. Plus I think hair coverings are just pretty.

Thank you, SheWoreLemon! You're too kind. I have no idea if the way I wear hijab is a specific "style", but it's pretty easy to do. (I'm including an up-close photo so you can see the different layers.) To achieve the look in the picture, I've got 3 things on: a black umtah (underscarf/cap), a green pashmina, and a teal pashmina. I put my hair up into a high bun, then pulled the umtah over my head so it completely covered my hair and ears. Then I laid the green pashmina on top of the umtah, letting it hang down on either side of my head. I placed the teal pashmina on top of the green one and slightly behind it so that both colors would be visible at the crown of my head...

Then I took the right-hand ends of both scarves and pulled them under my chin and then up, over where my bun was. I pinned them on the side with a pearlized pin (which you can see in the photo), and then tucked the fringes in. The remaining long scarves, which were hanging down on the left-hand side, I wrapped over my right shoulder. Then I tugged/adjusted the scarves until both green and teal were visible. On a windy day, I would recommend more pins, or perhaps tying/knotting the scarf somewhere while wrapping it.

...How do you wear hijab, Sunnichick31?

[attachment=0]2.jpg[/attachment]

Oh, and I should also mention that I live a short drive away from an enormous Muslim community (Dearborn, as showcased in "All-American Muslim"), so I have access to special shops that sell scarves and accessories used specifically for hijab. But any of this stuff is available through the internet...eBay in particular has an incredible selection of reasonably-priced pashminas and shawls.

I have no religious reason to cover my hair but I've always wanted to wear a hijab. They are gorgeous and most women look nice in them.

I have no religious reason to cover my hair but I've always wanted to wear a hijab. They are gorgeous and most women look nice in them.

This. So much this.

I've admired hijab for a long time (since before I even knew what it was called).

How do you wear hijab, Sunnichick31?

I don't like having things very tight around my neck (especially in the summertime) so lately I've been using square scarves folded into a triangle a lot, kind of like how she does it in this video (but i don't tie it behind my neck)

Lovely (not) anti-Catholic post from the Garlands of Grace girls... "In response to several ladies who have wondered and many others who have presumed, I am compelled to share: Garlands of Grace in NOT a Catholic run business. I am burdened for all who stand with the Catholic Church and would plead with you to come out and believe the Word of God." Wish I would've seen that the other day before I spent money at their store!

Lovely (not) anti-Catholic post from the Garlands of Grace girls... "In response to several ladies who have wondered and many others who have presumed, I am compelled to share: Garlands of Grace in NOT a Catholic run business. I am burdened for all who stand with the Catholic Church and would plead with you to come out and believe the Word of God." Wish I would've seen that the other day before I spent money at their store!

I just made a post about that (should I delete?). I hope they realise how many customers they will lose, because a lot of Catholics buy their headcoverings.

I just made a post about that (should I delete?). I hope they realise how many customers they will lose, because a lot of Catholics buy their headcoverings.

No, it is probably a different subject and would do better on its own thread

I wear scarves to hide my aging neckline, and in the winter they are draped over my head, to keep my hair out of my face. My collection is vast Indian, Kazakh, Pakistani. I love them all.

About a year ago I got hooked on hajib tutorials on the You Tube. I started to practice, and realized they hid the flaws of aging skin. I've worn a hajib in public a few times. Not locally, I couldn't imagine walking into my pub and ordering a martini while wearing a hajib. But I love them they are graceful and cheaper than cosmetic surgery for me.

YouTube hijab tutorials are addicting! ;) I find that hijab makes my neck itch; maybe I'll get used to it?

You might get used to it, or you might need to try a looser style that isn't constricting around the neck.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to "resurrect" an old thread, but I was wondering if 2xx1xy1JD could tell us what type of headcovering she uses. A friend of mine who got married last year wears scarves but has problems with them slipping, so I'm going to buy her some Jordanian underscarves.

I wear scarves to hide my aging neckline, and in the winter they are draped over my head, to keep my hair out of my face. My collection is vast Indian, Kazakh, Pakistani. I love them all.

About a year ago I got hooked on hajib tutorials on the You Tube. I started to practice, and realized they hid the flaws of aging skin. I've worn a hajib in public a few times. Not locally, I couldn't imagine walking into my pub and ordering a martini while wearing a hajib. But I love them they are graceful and cheaper than cosmetic surgery for me.

experiencedd, By all means, wear what you prefer.

But I just want to say (like in the "beautiful" thread on chatter), I just know that you are beautiful, just the way you are. You don't have to hide anything. :-)

Sorry to "resurrect" an old thread, but I was wondering if 2xx1xy1JD could tell us what type of headcovering she uses. A friend of mine who got married last year wears scarves but has problems with them slipping, so I'm going to buy her some Jordanian underscarves.

Depends where I am, the weather, my mood, etc.

I went through a wig phase - loved it at first, then it got a bit ratty and I really didn't like it in the summer.

I've got a formal hat that I love.

For summer, I've got some big bandanas for swimming, hiking, etc.

Still haven't found my ideal.

With scarves, the material makes a big difference. I have some that are sort of a coarser woven cotton that stay in place on their own, and some of the ones with a little stretch will as well, but the more slippery materials tend to slide back. A lot of people to the whole pins/clips in front thing, but I don't like that at all. What works best, for me, with those scarves is to wear a headband that will stay in place or a hijab underscarf and either pin the top scarf to it or double it over it, if it's a big square that I'm wearing triangle style.

I'm not Jewish and don't always cover all my hair, so I wear the veil type coverings more often and a piece of velvet ribbon or the hook side of a velcro strip sewn to the underside will also help it grab your hair. I wouldn't do this with a regular scarf, because it would limit how you wear it, but it would probably work with a pre-tied scarf or snood where it is worn the same way all the time.

I find that silk scarves are terrible to keep in my hair. Cotton? they'll stay put. I also use those flippy barrettes, to hold it at my hairline.

I cover haphazardly. That is to say, when my roots and greys start showing? the scarves get hauled out of the closet. When i'm freshly dyed ? not as often unless i'm mucking around in the garden.

I cover haphazardly. That is to say, when my roots and greys start showing? the scarves get hauled out of the closet. When i'm freshly dyed ? not as often unless i'm mucking around in the garden.

lol, now I don't feel so bad. I don't dye, but I henna which gives the same result by turning my hair from brown with a hint of red to very red/burgundy. I don't normally cover around my husband, because he's not a big fan of it, but I wear a scarf or bandana most of the time I'm home alone or out and about with my son during the day and, if my roots start showing, then I'll do it when I go out even with hubby. Luckily, the wide headbands work for hiding most of that and he's OK with them moreso than a veil or full-sized scarf.

518aWU7b%2BTL._SL500_AA300_.jpgEta - I have one of these scarves and it stays on great by itself and is sort of a "Sticky" cotton. The downside is it is sort of cheap looking/feeling up close, but a lot of sites sell them either plain or printed if you look for tichels w/ lurex. The only really soft scarves ones I've found that I can made stay when tied more like a tichel are some that Roses (local discount store) sells for about $6 - I love them and bought a few colors because their inventory is sort of hit or miss but there's no brand - they just say "Fashion Scarf - Made in China" on the tag.

Archived