IGNORED

Why are Christian Headcoverings so ugly?

polabear

I can't really see the point of the Amish/Mennonite head coverings at all. If you are going by what the bible says, then surely you should be wearing something more substantial than that.

I have quite a few scarves that I wear in Jewish type styles mainly, I have a few shawl types that I sometimes wear in the winter draped around my head a bit like a loose hijab. Sometimes I wear knitted/crochet berets too but I do prefer scarves - you can leave them on indoors and nobody bats an eyelid, perfect for crappy, greasy, sticky-uppy hair days!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a reason Christian headcover-wearers don't make their scraps of fabric with headbands or laces? Seems like it would make their lives easier.

Some do. Most of the ones I wear have laces that tie under your hair in the back and the ones I prefer have a band of velvet sewn into the inside front to stop it from slipping back or down. There are several options that don't require a bazillion clips or pins, but I guess it all depends on what the people around you wear.

The whole argument over coverings being too small goes back to at least 150-200 AD (male writers then were condemning women for wearing veils that were too small or too sheer). I think most people are OK with smaller ones now because they are seen as more symbolic. Also, because the many husbands who grudgingly put up with bandanas and scarfs would probably put their foot down at really large, long veils.

It’s not such a mystery if you think about it.

Hijabs are traditionally a symbol of Islam, not Christianity. (ah, if only Roman Catholic nuns still wore the veils and caps and wimples! ;) )

Mesh kapps a la the Amish and Mennonite traditions already exist as examples of Christian modesty [sic].

!

I always thought the evolution of headgear in the West was fascinating. In the middle ages, the dress of nuns was not that different from that of most women. And lots of people thought these types of coverings were hot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_hood

When I was a child, I always wanted one of those pointy princess hats with the long veil hanging from the top! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennin

Honestly, I rather like the headscarf-type coverings and snoods. I like the simplicity and they can be pretty in a Vermeer sort of way. Garlands Of Grace do some beautiful ones.

The ones from Garlands of Grace and Sewers of Hope are pretty.

edited to fix my repetitions in my repetitions in my sentence ;)

I do not cover for religious reasons, but I have long hair that I sometimes would just prefer not to have hanging down (e.g., when painting). I bought a couple of snoods from Sowers of Hope that I like a lot for that reason. They're also of nice workmanship.

(Yes, even super liberal agnostics with long hair can buy "coverings"!)

I always thought the evolution of headgear in the West was fascinating. In the middle ages, the dress of nuns was not that different from that of most women. And lots of people thought these types of coverings were hot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_hood

When I was a child, I always wanted one of those pointy princess hats with the long veil hanging from the top! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennin

I had a hennin as a child and I am not kidding when I say I would put it on the second I came in the door and just hang out wearing it for the rest of the day. :lol: I love fashion history, too.

I just checked out Sowers of Hope on Etsy. Apparently, they're Messianics.

They take down their shop on Saturdays and put it back up on Sundays. As I learned a few weeks ago.

Honestly, I rather like the headscarf-type coverings and snoods. I like the simplicity and they can be pretty in a Vermeer sort of way. Garlands Of Grace do some beautiful ones.

I cover for medical reasons and have a bunch of scarves from Garlands of Grace.

They take down their shop on Saturdays and put it back up on Sundays. As I learned a few weeks ago.

I've seen a couple websites do that. I just think it's silly. (Also, yay South Park! I've been rewatching it recently.)

I have to admit I have an obsession with bonnets. I think its because I watched too much little house on the prarie as a child. I want a bonnet. I would wear it while gardening.

I didn't realize the range of head coverings available at all!

I happen to have a black French hood that I made for a Tudor themed party. I participate in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) so I frequently wear snoods and other types of covering. One thing that is nice about a coif is that it does provide some sun protection.

I don't headcover, don't know anyone who does, other than pre-VII types who use a mantilla or chapel veil for worship services, but how do the delicate headbands with flowers on them (Coverings of Grace) constitute "Christian head covering"? They are just headbands--pretty ones, but they don't cover hair, they ornament it, which seems contrary to the point. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

The bandanas and skimpy scarves (seppi family/seven sisters) are just ugly. If you are going to cover, do a full-on veil. That at least makes a statement.

Head-covering was massively argued about in the early church. Initially, Christians basically just followed pagan customs of having married women cover. It's only later that you start getting the church fathers having arguments about whether unmarried adult women need to wear veils. And even then, they definitely aren't talking about lacy doilies. The church father Tertullian, writing in the 2nd century AD, said:

To us the Lord has, even by revelations, measured the space for the veil to extend over. For a certain sister of ours was thus addressed by an angel, beating her neck, as if in applause: "Elegant neck, and deservedly bare! it is well for thee to unveil thyself from the head right down to the loins, lest withal this freedom of thy neck profit thee not!" And, of course, what you have said to one you have said to all. But how severe a chastisement will they likewise deserve, who, amid (the recital of) the Psalms, and at any mention of (the name of) God, continue uncovered; (who) even when about to spend time in prayer itself, with the utmost readiness place a fringe, or a tuft, or any thread whatever, on the crown of their heads, and suppose themselves to be covered? Of so small extent do they falsely imagine their head to be! Others, who think the palm of their hand plainly greater than any fringe or thread, misuse their head no less; like a certain (creature), more beast than bird, albeit winged, with small head, long legs, and moreover of erect carriage. She, they say, when she has to hide, thrusts away into a thicket her head alone----plainly the whole of it, (though)----leaving all the rest of herself exposed. Thus, while she is secure in head, (but) bare in her larger pans, she is taken wholly, head and all. Such will be their plight withal, covered as they are less than is useful.

He also mentions the head-covering traditions in the Middle East that later became part of Islamic tradition:

Arabia's heathen females will be your judges, who cover not only the head, but the face also, so entirely, that they are content, with one eye free, to enjoy rather half the light than to prostitute the entire face.

I do not cover for religious reasons, but I have long hair that I sometimes would just prefer not to have hanging down (e.g., when painting). I bought a couple of snoods from Sowers of Hope that I like a lot for that reason. They're also of nice workmanship.

(Yes, even super liberal agnostics with long hair can buy "coverings"!)

My hair is not super long, but there are times I'll wear it tied up in a bandanna. I might try a snood one day, I break pony tail holders, and will... *eep* wear SCRUNCHIES around the house so fashion is not so big when I'm lounging. ROFL (My hair is thick. LOL! I live where it's hot already... so... it's hot most of the year and I'm CRAZY and trying to grow my hair back out. So. Gotta find some way of taming it! LOL!)

I don't think that one religion's head coverings are any less ugly than the other one's. The actual style preferences are just that, preferences. What is ugly is the control or implications of inferiority that the head coverings symbolizes.

One thing I will say about the headcoverings of Muslim women: they stay on despite the buffeting and high speeds of Test Track at Disney World. I lost a ponytail holder and some hairpins on the same ride.

I wear a headcovering, and I am currently trying to find "my style" I normally just wear bandannas BECAUSE they are cheap and easy to get. (and they tend to stay on.), but I also like the gypsy/pirate look. ;) If I didn't think it would be insulting to Muslim women I would definitely go for Hijab at times. I think they are beautiful. But, I wouldn't because I don't want to portray that I am Muslim when I am not? (like, I don't think Islamic women would appreciate it.)

I am currently looking for some silky scarves to try some cool stuff with. :)

I wear a headcovering, and I am currently trying to find "my style" I normally just wear bandannas BECAUSE they are cheap and easy to get. (and they tend to stay on.), but I also like the gypsy/pirate look. ;) If I didn't think it would be insulting to Muslim women I would definitely go for Hijab at times. I think they are beautiful. But, I wouldn't because I don't want to portray that I am Muslim when I am not? (like, I don't think Islamic women would appreciate it.)

Aside from some Muslim women mistaking you as Muslim and salaaming you, I seriously doubt any would care if they found out you are not Muslim. There was a Christian woman I knew previously who wore a hijab style hair covering (she felt convicted after reading the writings of Paul) and felt the hijabs were more functional than the smaller head coverings requiring pins and clips.

You can order hijabs on Ebay for dirt cheap and in soooo many colors and styles. My favorite is the Amirah style because it doesn't require any pins or clips and you can put on in less than 10 seconds.

Aside from some Muslim women mistaking you as Muslim and salaaming you, I seriously doubt any would care if they found out you are not Muslim. There was a Christian woman I knew previously who wore a hijab style hair covering (she felt convicted after reading the writings of Paul) and felt the hijabs were more functional than the smaller head coverings requiring pins and clips.

You can order hijabs on Ebay for dirt cheap and in soooo many colors and styles. My favorite is the Amirah style because it doesn't require any pins or clips and you can put on in less than 10 seconds.

I love hijabs but I wouldn't want to wear one because as a non-Muslim I'm going to be doing some pretty un-Islamic things (eg eating pork, drinking alcohol etc). To me that's as offensive as doing the Fake Jew thing.

American Protestant women haven't been covering their hair nearly as long as women from other religious groups have, I think. As time goes on, Christian head-coverings may become more attractive.

There's also possibly a desire to look "different" than Muslims and Jews, eliminating fashionable head scarves as an option for fundie women. I'm thinking this might be the case because I've experienced that attitude personally. As a Jew who wears hijab for fashion/comfort reasons, I've been scolded by my neighbors for "looking like someone from another religion".

...Or maybe they just prefer to look frumpy and unattractive so as not to "cause men to stumble"?

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum, where some women wear head coverings ($5000 custom-made wigs, et cetera) that look so good they seem to defeat the purpose of modesty. (I'm always told, however, that it doesn't matter if the head covering is sexy or beautiful...as long as the woman's head is covered. :roll: )

[attachment=0]1.jpg[/attachment]

This is only my experience, but all of my Muslim girlfriends think I look beautiful wearing hijab. They've been trying to convince me to wear it out in public.

There is a young woman on youtube who is non-muslim (maybe even Christian) but wears Hijab, don't know her pseudonym any more, but i think she looks really good in it.

I have to admit, I like some of the snoods on coveryourhair.com. I even bought one of the longer ones. In my husbands culture, women typically cover their hair even when they are inside (even though it's not required) and although sunnidude doesn't care if I have my hair/body uncovered on a daily basis, he'd prefer that I follow his culture if we go visit his family. Traditionally, they will just tie a scarf similar to a tichel, which I don't care for (they look nice, but I always feel like it's going to slip off my head.) I love my snood. It's awesome. haha

@RR88-you look so nice in a hijab! :D

Archived