IGNORED

23 year olds cannot be in the same car with the opposite sex

SpeakNow

There's this as well. Or maybe she would be afraid that a family friend would see her and tell her parents?

Why do some fundies think if people of the opposite sex are alone they'll have sex? You can be alone with someone and not have sex with them. Its pretty easy.

These behaviors are a testimony in support of the parents ignorance regarding human sexuality. That poor girl has had far too much kool aid, someone needs to teach her how to question authority.

It's especially funny because it's TWO girls and a guy. I mean, even the Duggars would presumably be OK with this if there was a chaperone. Well, okay, maybe not the Duggars. But you know what I mean. Both women are basically chaperoned.

Not that it's not ridiculous either way, but still.

Didn't the Duggars have sometimes just one of the kids chaperone Josh and Anna?

Uhm, but then what do her parents think of her working in the ueber sinful worldly world of extra-ing? I guess it's not just Bible-story-re-enactment films?

Uhm, but then what do her parents think of her working in the ueber sinful worldly world of extra-ing? I guess it's not just Bible-story-re-enactment films?

She writes short Christian films, and she does extra work to network with other film makers. Her parents let her just so long as the film does not contain "objectionable content." Most of the stuff we work on is music videos or Christian films produced by Lifeway Christian ministries.

Not to get off topic, but Effie and FIMF, I feel for you both. Been there. I all too well remember being 23, graduated college, had worked my way through it, had been an honor student, never in trouble, etc. and my parents STILL couldn't trust me. I had lived at home during college (home was near school) but after I graduated, I was making serious moves to get out. Curfew, rules because it was "their home" and the whole bit; stuff that I didn't have to deal with when I was 18!. I wouldn't allow it but it caused serious disruption until I left at 24. Love my folks, but they seriously offended me when they did this.

This exactly! Thank you for your sympathy! :)

My parents did that to me after my first year of college. I stayed at home over the summer to take summer courses. I fought with my parents for days just to go visit a friend who lived half an hour away just because they didn't trust me to drive there. I'm not very good with directions - which is why I asked my mom to practice with me and teach me how to get there. I am also a good student and goody-goody and we had an argument about me going to a Harry Potter movie premier because I had class the next day. I flat out told my parents I would sneak out of the house and they couldn't stop me, which is probably why I ended up going with their permission (if I said something like that it meant I was serious and desperate). I don't know what got into them. I had so much more freedom in high school and it was really disrespectful. They don't understand why I told them I absolutely would not move back in for med school. I am still waiting on a school close to my house, which is my top choice. It's my loan money, and I will take out the extra just to have peace of mind and freedom. My mom is still anal about me driving whenever I am home, and that's probably the top reason. I have a car, but she would try to convince me to let her drive me everywhere and then I would be chained to her schedule, which is okay when I'm only home for a week (my car is at school anyway) but not when I have to get to class/clinicals/maybe I might want to do something spontaneous with my classmates? LOL I did stay home the next summer because I had a full-time research job and they were much better about it. I was worried because it was at the same hospital as my dad and I thought he would be naggy and controlling about it. Instead, he started treating me more as an equal and would teach me things if we both had free time (I had HIPAA clearance to shadow any doctor, I just wouldn't see patients with him because we thought that would be weird - but he would do things like show me MRIs of his patients and how to read them; he was my ride so I would just go hang out with him until he was done). And my parents seem better in general since then too, like I thought they were going to fight me about having a car at school and they ended up having no problem with it. I just wouldn't want to risk the controlling situation happening again when it seems like there would be more of an opportunity for that to happen (this med school has less of a structured day than a full-time job, so more free time for them to control). Even if it's just them being naggy about homework/studying, I don't need that. Maybe it's fear that their kid is growing up and can make his/her own choices now? IDK.

Years ago I remember reading some fundie thing about how married women shouldn't be friends with men, and one of the things was not being alone with a man or it might look bad. Obsession with sex much?

Someone told me that before. I went one afternoon after church to the park with my daughter and a friend and his two children. Apparently that "looked bad". I told them to get their minds out of the gutter because males and females CAN be friends. LOL! People are insane sometimes.

What I don't get is that they allow same-sex interaction all the time. But they believe being gay is a choice, and something you just do if you're tempted strong enough or are really horny or something. Obviously, though, they think kids are sex-starved to the point that opposite genders can't ride in cars together because they might just have an orgy or something.

So which is it: being gay is not something hetero kids are ever tempted to do? Or kids really are capable of keeping it in their pants if they want to?

I know people like that! Isn't that scary? Though not all of the reasons are fundie, some parents are just that paranoid (I believe my aunt is like that with my cousin... weird).

It boggles my mind. I am 23. I am married with a kid! She was an oops baby, though.. but not from riding in cars with a guy or anything. Well, not that I know of... maybe there's some sort of telepathic (ETA - this is not the right word. My brain is not working so well right now... maybe I'm thinking of telekinesis?) sex these days.

Why doesn't she just, you know, not tell her parents? I'm 22, and if I wanted to do something that I knew my parents wouldn't really approve of (but wasn't illegal or anything), I would just not tell them about it. I'm all for young adults respecting and staying on good terms with parents who are supporting/housing them, but seriously, mom and dad don't need to know everything.

True story. My father is totally liberal, doesn't really care what I do. We're not at all religious, not too many boundaries. But he still thinks I think boys are icky. Over the summer when I slept over at a male friend's, there's no way I was going to tell him that. He doesn't need to know about my sexual activity and it would just lead to awkward conversations I do not want to have. So I just told him I was staying with a 'friend'. ;]

My mother was convinced if I was with a boy 'in the dark' or at night I would be overcome with lust and have sex. In the daytime however it was cool I'm like mom seriously people can have sex during the day you're going to have to chill.

Not being allowed alone with a man in your 20s when he's just a guy from work\friend etc reminds me of those Victorian novels.

What I don't get is that they allow same-sex interaction all the time. But they believe being gay is a choice, and something you just do if you're tempted strong enough or are really horny or something. Obviously, though, they think kids are sex-starved to the point that opposite genders can't ride in cars together because they might just have an orgy or something.

So which is it: being gay is not something hetero kids are ever tempted to do? Or kids really are capable of keeping it in their pants if they want to?

I know, this seems a bit hypocritical. But maybe fundies are just never gay? If it is a temptation though surely same-sex interaction should be prevented. Maybe just all interaction outside of your family. Heck, you can even defraud your family. Maybe you should just stay hidden until your father finds you a suitable mate.

My (Catholic) university has a no-opposite-sex-sleepovers policy (no opposite sex guests after a certain hour) but nothing for same-sex which I view similarly. (Also, we're in college... we can handle it.) My roommate is a lesbian and I can tell you she totally took advantage of this when living in the dorms :lol:

Guest Anonymous
Why doesn't she just, you know, not tell her parents? I'm 22, and if I wanted to do something that I knew my parents wouldn't really approve of (but wasn't illegal or anything), I would just not tell them about it. I'm all for young adults respecting and staying on good terms with parents who are supporting/housing them, but seriously, mom and dad don't need to know everything.

At 23 my parents had absolutely no say in my life...PERIOD. I was out of school, working and making my own decisions. If I did something they didn't approve of, then that was just too bad. And they pretty much felt the same way.

Archived