IGNORED

Engaging Proselytizers - Part II

Soldier of the One

No ideological point really, just that for fairness' sake I thought I'd actually follow through part of my 'marketplace of ideas' argument.

I guess it's just not grokking for me because you seem to want an "atta girl!" or pat on the back. The phrasing (like "I took one for the team, guys!") implies that the proselytizing was something we were required to be subjected to, so you did us a favor by using yourself as a human preaching shield. Except it's not something that's required. I could go my whole life without being proselytized to and you subjecting yourself to proselytizing isn't going to do anything for me if it does happen.

Valsa, it was a half-silly, half-serious post and the 'take one for the team' remark was meant as a good-natured joke, not a pat on the back. I don't come to FJ for pats on the back but for engaging discussions. Because the previous thread evoked so much response, I figured I'd follow through with my own principles and report back. It was more about sharing my own thought-processes.

I don't know if it is something that is not required. In this instant, I sought out myself but there are plenty of instances where one is approached as a religious minority/non-religious minority by proselytizers.

Anyway, it was a silly post so I deleted it :) I am sure it makes no difference either way.

All the best.

Archived