IGNORED

"Damn immigrants need to learn proper english!"

xReems

Yeah, they have (or had at one point) similar things with Ebonics in the United States. It was pretty cool.

I did my CEGEP studies (CEGEP is 2 or 3 yrs of college pre-university that we have, it's unique to QC) in French litterature and one class I had to take was "Littérature du joual" (joual lit.). "Joual" is a Québécois french dialect spoken in working class neighbourhoods and in some agricultural villages. It has its own idioms, and a person from Paris or Bruxelles would have troubles understanding it. The first play written in joual was in the 1960s and it made a big "scandal" at first. This class for one of the most interesting in all my CEGEP years!

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You lose. I actually do have gay friends.[/quote]

Ugh, it's like you enjoy digging yourself into a hole. You realize that this is, like, the prototypical thing for a racist, homophobe, etc. to say to prove they're not racist, homophobic, etc.?

Guest Anonymous

I think you said something like this in the sexiest thread too. Except with a lot more cussing.

What makes it a racist issue is that you are picking certain countries and saying those people's accents are bad and they need to change.

I never said they were bad, I said I have a hard time understanding them. Big difference there. If I recall correctly, my answer was in response to which languages I have have a hard time understanding.

This isn't a race issue it's a language barrier issue. You're assuming I hate someone who doesn't speak English very well, and that is not at all what I'm trying to say. You're also assuming I expect people to be able to speak English fluently. Again, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that since English is the majority language in the U.S., people should be able to speak English in an understandable way. I also believe that if I move to non-English speaking country, I should be able to speak that language in an understandable way.

Now it seems you not only think I'm sexist and racist, but you also think homophobic and biased against people with Down's Syndrome or any other impairment. That is laughable. But you know what, the people who compared the tolerance of extreme Gothardism and FJ may actually have a point....attitude wise that is. Buy, oh well, this is a snark board, and at the end of the day, I don't waste my time worrying about what random people on message board think.

Oh, and FYI....there will be no lengthy apologies, because on this issue, I don't feel that I'm wrong.

As I have said numerous times, Fiance IS American and DOES speak English, albeit with a rather heavy accent. (He is a native Puerto Rican who moved to the mainland U.S. at age 18.) So, because YOU may not be able to understand everything he says, that is a problem?

Sounds racist to me.

I never said they were bad, I said I have a hard time understanding them. Big difference there. If I recall correctly, my answer was in response to which languages I have have a hard time understanding.

Do you even want to open that can of worms? I was letting that go because I though it would just blow your mind too much. Bt since you bring it up, I am particularly interested how you find eastern European accents difficult to understand, but western European ones easy. Stop and really think about that. So before the berlin wall came down, you are seriously telling us that you could understand the accents of west Germany fine, but all those living in east Germany were too difficult for you? Because east Germany was considered part of eastern Europe. "western Europe" and " eastern Europe" are socio-political constructs just as much, if not more so, than geographical constructs.

Edited for riffles bc I'm typing on an iPad.

Guest Anonymous

Bottom line, and this is the last post I'll make. If you come to America learn English and learn to speak it in such a way that people can understand you. If that makes me an ignorant, racist, elitist bitch then so be it. I don't care.

Bottom line, and this is the last post I'll make. If you come to America learn English and learn to speak it in such a way that people can understand you. If that makes me an ignorant, racist, elitist bitch then so be it. I don't care.

Quoted for truth? She really is racist and ignorant and doesn't care. Bizarre. We need a "holding tank" for newbies that act like trolls right off the bat.

Guest Anonymous

It does. And the fact that you don't care makes you a horrible person.

**ETA: As does refusing to acknowledge the fact that there are lots of people who are born in the U.S. who do not speak English as their first language. One more time - English is not the official language of the U.S. because we do not have one. People who do not speak a word of English can be American just as well as people who don't speak anything else.

Guest Anonymous

scaled.php?server=196&filename=bullshity.jpg&res=medium

YES, it sounds racist to say that my AMERICAN fiance should learn to "speak in a way that people can understand you".

Why is that difficult to understand?

Seriously what a subjective way to judge people's language ability. My husband speaks English, but he has an accent. I personally don't find it hard to understand and neither do most people he talks to. But when we get to talk to someone who has a really strong New England accent, they frequently have difficulty understanding him and he might have difficulty understanding them.

Or there's the time I was in London and ordering lunch and the person at the counter had a super thick (English) accent. "what?" I said. He repeated it and I still didn't understand. So I said, "I don't understand you." Then he said, "What?" and I think at that point, we just gave up. Our respective accents made communication IMPOSSIBLE.

People in Appalachia should speak English I can goddamned understand. I don't care if they are native speakers or that their accent supposedly preserves what most early Americans sounded like. They sound weird and they shouldn't.

Are you in agreement, geniebelle?

You don't care if you are racist?

You don't care if you are racist?

Bottom line, she will return to posting as she has in the past and ignore the fact that she's been proven to be a racist and sexist.

Guest Anonymous

People in Appalachia should speak English I can goddamned understand. I don't care if they are native speakers or that their accent supposedly preserves what most early Americans sounded like. They sound weird and they shouldn't.

Are you in agreement, geniebelle?

I take it you don't understand the Bates family when they speak...they're from E TN, which is in Appalachia. But to answer your question. If you're planning a trip to Appalachia then you need to learn their accent. If people from Appalachia are coming to you then they should learn your accent. On a side note, I had a hard time understanding certain Creole/Cajun accents. But, I did learn thanks to help from my cousin's wife who is from southern LA.

I take it you don't understand the Bates family when they speak...they're from E TN, which is in Appalachia. But to answer your question. If you're planning a trip to Appalachia then you need to learn their accent. If people from Appalachia are coming to you then they should learn your accent. On a side note, I had a hard time understanding certain Creole/Cajun accents. But, I did learn thanks to help from my cousin's wife who is from southern LA.

>.> No.. see the Bates are from Tennessee... when people think of Appalachia with the accents think of Paintsville KY or Whitesburg or Greenlick or Sandy... come to KY appalachia and listen to their accents. It is amazing!

Why should I change my accent cause you are closed minded?

Oh gee, it must really inconvenience you that refugees who seek asylum in the US weren't able to squeeze in enough English lessons in between torture sessions and dodging death squads.

Guest Anonymous

Bottom line, she will return to posting as she has in the past and ignore the fact that she's been proven to be a racist and sexist.

And ignore the fact that you are no better and more judgmental than the fundies or whoever else you snark on.

Guest Anonymous
No.. see the Bates are from Tennessee

LOL! Now this is too funny! East Tennessee is in Appalachia. Do you need a history/geography leson?

And ignore the fact that you are no better and more judgmental than the fundies or whoever else you snark on.

Yes, we went over this in the sexism thread where you said basically the exact same things you are saying here, except it was about being called sexist. Supposedly us hounding you on it made you change your mind about that.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard a troll throw out THAT lie! :roll:

Yes, we went over this in the sexism thread where you said basically the exact same things you are saying here, except it was about being called sexist. Supposedly us hounding you on it made you change your mind about that.

Geniebelle is like a TV sitcom. Status quo is God.

I am a born a raised Southerner and there is a person that works at a local restaurant who is Northern and I swear to god I can't understand a word she says sometimes. So yeah, it is a totally legitimate comparison.

I'm fine with most US accents, and can speak in either Midwestern or Californian dialects due to where I lived before I was 20, but there are some from back east that I have to listen very carefully to figure out what they are saying- Boston and New York can be tricky on occasion.

And I do explain to my students that there are a lot of languages that are very similar, but different. "Just like somebody in Texas or England sounds different than somebody here, but it's still English...." It came in handy when their text had something in Ladino for Channukah. "This is Spanish, but it's not quite right..." But then they also say the same thing about my Spanish- my teacher was from Venezuela, and had attended high school in Spain, so of course what I learned is not going to be the same as their Mexican Spanish.

Today's English lesson for a couple of my immigrant students was what "sweet tooth" meant. (I'm not an English teacher, but I said it and they asked what it meant.)

Guest Anonymous

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard a troll throw out THAT lie! :roll:

Bottom line; there's going to be a bridge missing a troll for a little while longer yet.... :)

Archived