IGNORED

Alberta (Canada) Survey: Male Views On Domestic Violence

Terrasola

I was disheartened to read this news article on a recent Alberta survey of men's views towards violence against women and domestic violence. For those not in the know, Alberta has the reputation of being a rather conservative province and is said to have a higher percentage of Christians, particularly of the evangelical and fundamentalist varieties.

I am not breaking the link as it's to a news site:

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/surve ... Q.facebook

Yikes! I'm right next door in BC and I've always considered the Albertans to be a little backward (full disclosure: my mother was born there and one of the branches of the family all live out there). This is still a little hard to hear though. Sigh.

I had no ideas that Canadians could be so violent. ;)

That kind of explains those over-the-top domestic violence PSAs out of Canada years ago. NSFW:

I have read the news article a couple of times (will have to find the study) and I still think someone will have to explain this to me.

The study found that 99% of men felt they could personally make a difference to promote healthy, non-violent relationships. However, it appears that a significant percentage of this same group (i.e. the men surveyed) don't know what healthy, non-violent relationships look like. Sixty-one percent of those respondents don't think slapping their kid's face is domestic violence. Over 10% think that domestic violence isn't "as serious" if they were provoked and lose control (a common excuse of abusers) and over 10% also think that domestic violence is a private family matter. Can anyone explain this dichotomy to me?

I cannot even comment on the "she was asking for it by wearing that" statistic.

As well, a whopping 40 per cent of respondents agreed with the statement: "If a woman wears provocative clothing, she's putting herself at risk for rape

I wonder how this compares with more conservative states in America

I wonder how this compares with more conservative states in America

She shouldn't be putting herself at risk of rape, but she is. A woman should be able to walk down the street naked if she damn well wants to and not be putting herself at risk of rape. But sadly there are some people who still think that wearing a short skirt and low cut top means that the woman must want sex. It's going to take a huge mindset change to change that. I can't see it happening any time soon.

Yikes! I'm right next door in BC and I've always considered the Albertans to be a little backward (full disclosure: my mother was born there and one of the branches of the family all live out there). This is still a little hard to hear though. Sigh.

In full defence of my province (one of the few times) I doubt you'd find statistically significant differences anywhere else. People just don't talk about it. The "Well... she could've protected herself better" defence of rape is worldwide.

In full defence of my province (one of the few times) I doubt you'd find statistically significant differences anywhere else. People just don't talk about it. The "Well... she could've protected herself better" defence of rape is worldwide.

My province, too. We're not all bad. 8-)

My province, too. We're not all bad. 8-)

We're both living here, it can't be all that bad. ;)

(as much as I complain... the money is good...)

We're both living here, it can't be all that bad. ;)

(as much as I complain... the money is good...)

Yep. Now if we could only do something about the embarrassment that is the creation museum in Big Valley...

52 per cent of respondents agree with the statement that women could leave a violent relationship if they really wanted to.

Uh...52%??? How generous!

She shouldn't be putting herself at risk of rape, but she is. A woman should be able to walk down the street naked if she damn well wants to and not be putting herself at risk of rape. But sadly there are some people who still think that wearing a short skirt and low cut top means that the woman must want sex. It's going to take a huge mindset change to change that. I can't see it happening any time soon.

It actually doesn't work that way. Rapists rape. They frequently choose their victims based on how easy it will be to get away with it, and they know that women in certain situations will be easier to blame so they do target them, but it's not because they feel entitled to one specific type of woman over another. They choose the victim based on what society will condone. If we focus on victims' behavior and manage to change that behavior, then rapists will find other ways to pick victims. This is why rape prevention can only be successful when telling potential offenders how to behave, not the potential victims.

It actually doesn't work that way. Rapists rape. They frequently choose their victims based on how easy it will be to get away with it, and they know that women in certain situations will be easier to blame so they do target them, but it's not because they feel entitled to one specific type of woman over another. They choose the victim based on what society will condone. If we focus on victims' behavior and manage to change that behavior, then rapists will find other ways to pick victims. This is why rape prevention can only be successful when telling potential offenders how to behave, not the potential victims.

This is so true. My uncle had a neighbor years ago, who was in her 80s, and someone broke into her house, raped her, and robbed her. The rapist was convicted, and he was 19 years old. Rapists rape. It has nothing to do with the victim.

Edited to change "woman" to "victim".

I wish I could say things were better in Ontario, but I gave some workshops to teens here and they had the exact same "it's her fault if she doesn't leave him" attitude. They didn't by the end of the workshop, though.

Archived