IGNORED

Can we step any further backwards?

Swamptribe

Never ask whether we can take another step backward. Oh, noes.

At least it's GOP voters and not all voters, and it's in the deep south. We're know there are a slew of racists and evangelicals and racist evangelicals down here.

Just when you think people can't get any dumber...

As a mixed-race Southerner, I'm ashamed!

As a human being, I am appalled.

As someone in a mixed-race marriage (of sorts), I am personally offended.

Don't ask, because the answer is always yes.

Here's what's wrong with this country - the individuals that believe "interracial marriage should be illegal" get to vote same as me. In fact, if they have money to give to politicians, their vote counts more than mine. The system doesn't need to be changed, the users do. And eventually, they'll be bred out (as more and more people of different races have children, eventually there won't be anyone "racially pure" left to be racist). George Carlin had a good line about that, but I can't find it in teh google.

I did find it encouraging that according to the study (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/02/ ... ermarriage) that was linked in the article, the attitudes among younger people are far more accepting than those of older people. Only 5% of 18-29 year-olds and 7% of 30-49 year-olds think that higher rates of interracial marriages are a change for the worse, compared to 13% for 50-64 year-olds and 19% for 65+ year-olds.

I just saw a documentary on HBO about the supreme court case that finally lifted the ban on interracial marriages. The case was Loving v. State of Virginia. It was very very interesting and they documented the whole process very well b/c they knew they had a game changer. I think the movie was called "The Loving Story" I'd recommend watching it. I'll admit, when I saw and heard Richard Loving, I thought OMG, seriously? He looks and sounds like a hard-core, good ol' boy, redneck. I would've figured him for the other side of the debate. Making assumptions of any kind is wrong-lesson learned!

At the end of the movie they said that AL had only in 2000 finally gotten rid of the last miscegenation laws. I don't understand the whole "racial purity" thing. So bizarre. Mixed race marriages/relationships are really common around here, but I would worry if I moved back to TX how my hubs (who is Korean) would be received and moreover, how my daughter, who is half-Korean (and is currently refusing to leave my ute), would do.

I wouldn't worry too much, Chasingthedog. According to the study, 18.2% of married couples in Texas are in interracial or interethnic marriages. My husband and I are in an interethnic marriage and we haven't experienced any negativity due to it.

The ban or lack of acceptance of inter-racial marriage seems limited to black/white.

I used to attend chruch with a white woman married to a Hispanic man and their marriage was well accepted. I know a retired military man married to an Asian lady, again-well accepted. Yet, if either of these Christian couples were black/white, I wonder if they'd have the same acceptance?

There's a high school in MS that just had its first integrated prom in 2008. It took a donation from Morgan Freeman to make it happen. Several white families wouldn't let their kids attend and held their own private prom.

Overt racism is alive and well in many places.

Archived