IGNORED

Selling God

figuring it out

I am watching this great and funny documentary called Selling God. It touches briefly on how Catholicism, Mormonism and Jevhovah Witnesses grow their churches. But it mainly discusses evangelism in the US and how they are MASTER marketers. One of my favorite moments is when an evangelical church proudly said they can save a soul in Korea for 47 cents. That is cheaper than a candy bar. Anyone out there with experience in marketing see it? I don't know much about marketing but I'd be interested in knowing what your experiences with with Christian marketing.

Is it on Netflix instant? I seem to remember putting it on my "watch at some point" list (I have to be in the fight mood to watch documentaries).

I have heard so, too. Guess many members are born into the Watchtower Society these days and do not join from outside, they have such a bad reputation.

I am watching this great and funny documentary called Selling God. It touches briefly on how Catholicism, Mormonism and Jevhovah Witnesses grow their churches. But it mainly discusses evangelism in the US and how they are MASTER marketers. One of my favorite moments is when an evangelical church proudly said they can save a soul in Korea for 47 cents. That is cheaper than a candy bar. Anyone out there with experience in marketing see it? I don't know much about marketing but I'd be interested in knowing what your experiences with with Christian marketing.

My neighbor used to wear a metallic nail to represent the nails that were driven into Jesus' hands and feet. Mel Gibson's Passion inspired him to buy that religious amulet.

We had a friend who sold Premiere Jewelry(I think that was the name) One of the selling points was that the owners were Christian. It was a pyramid scheme. She had to get sellers under her, who had to get sellers under them. There are other such companies that are promoted by Christian women

My neighbor used to wear a metallic nail to represent the nails that were driven into Jesus' hands and feet. Mel Gibson's Passion inspired him to buy that religious amulet.

I knew people who put nails on their Christmas trees after that movie came out. I also got a Christmas card (same people) that was crimson red and had a giant nail on the front. Cause you know, nothing say Christmas like bloody nails :shock:

One of the selling points was that the owners were Christian.

In any business transaction, that's my cue that I'm about to be scammed. The "you can trust me, I'm a Christian" thing is so overused, yet people still fall for it.

I do not do business with any entity that displays any Christian symbolism in their literature. Not because I think they are liars and cheats. But because I believe they are betraying their own tenets and if they'll do that, they may very well be liars and cheats.

I have a ready response in case I find out too late and have to defend it, even though I am an atheist (I live in a very Christian town). "I will not do business with anyone who trades on the name of God." How can they defend that? I know their mindset. It will strike to the core of their being (unless they are not sincere and just trying to scam other Christians, and in that case, fuck them).

There are plenty of businesses in my town whom I know for a fact are owned by devout evangelical Christians, and I don't mind doing business with them because they don't expect their Christianity to put them in "the Club".

We have an auto repair here that has all of the "t's" in their sign done with crosses. They also put a new Bible verse on their sign each week.

I do not do business with any entity that displays any Christian symbolism in their literature. Not because I think they are liars and cheats. But because I believe they are betraying their own tenets and if they'll do that, they may very well be liars and cheats.

I have a ready response in case I find out too late and have to defend it, even though I am an atheist (I live in a very Christian town). "I will not do business with anyone who trades on the name of God." How can they defend that? I know their mindset. It will strike to the core of their being (unless they are not sincere and just trying to scam other Christians, and in that case, fuck them).

There are plenty of businesses in my town whom I know for a fact are owned by devout evangelical Christians, and I don't mind doing business with them because they don't expect their Christianity to put them in "the Club".

Can you explain how it goes against the tenet of their faith?

Can you explain how it goes against the tenet of their faith?

Rather than praising/worshipping/kissing the ass of god, they are USING the name of god and symbols of Christianity to give themselves a leg up to make money. Rather than being a tool for god to use to perpetrate the demotion of others to second-class servants, they're using god as a tool to make themselves money.

Archived