IGNORED

Another Bates picture I'd like to discuss

tkr322

Has anyone ever seen this picture in their album on their website?:

bates_misc-154.jpg

I see cheese whiz, crackers, pickles, lots of paper plates and cups (yay for the environment :doh: ), soda, chips and donuts.

:think::confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Is this what these people eat every week?!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmmmm.... sodium.

I will say those croutons are pretty good. It says on the back that they're great for snacking. Best. Croutons. EVER.

Considering I'm sitting here with a box of cheeze its I cant snark too much. Considering the size of the family they probably need massive amounts of snacks.

I was going to say, this looks not-too-dissimilar from any family with teens in the house... just times two or three. Which makes sense.

What is up with the plastic cups and paper plates? You would think that would be incredibly expensive with so many people eating off of them. Are they only for certain occasions like picnics or an everyday thing? Does anyone here eat all their meals off of disposable dishes?

Looks like a bunch of junk. What is Faygo?? Is that soda? I think that's pie crusts and cookies on the top shelf and chips on the bottom.

Fresh fruit = a great snack. That looks like a bunch of empty calories.

Well, this is the dry goods. If they did have fresh produce, it wouldn't be there because it would be in the fridge. The treats like chips and cookies look like they would be a reasonable amount for so many people, but if it were just one or the other. Instead it's chips, cookies, and donuts. The saltines and bread are just a cheap way to feed a bunch of kids. It looks like they have some canned tomatoes, and the pickles aren't so bad as far as snack go, but I would like to see a lot more preserved fruits and vegetables. Why not a couple giant boxes of raisins instead of the other types of snacks? I'm also surprised that they don't buy bulk staples like pasta, rice, and oatmeal. I'm more concerned by what's not there than what is there.

In my own pantry for just one person, there are cans, jars, and boxes of pears, mixed fruit, applesauce, pineapple, raisins, green beans, diced tomatoes, peanut butter, pickles (technically a vegetable, I swear!), peas, rice, lentils, oatmeal, kidney beans, and pasta. I have some snacks too because I really love my snacks. I don't begrudge anyone their junk food treats, but you can't make a meal out of cookies and chips (at least not very frequently). I don't consider myself a healthy eater, but I do try to get fruits and vegetables and I keep the preserved kind around for when I don't have any fresh. And a lot of the other stuff is just because I'm cheap and lazy and it's so easy to just boil something on the stove that only costs a few pennies.

Looks like a bunch of junk. What is Faygo?? Is that soda? I think that's pie crusts and cookies on the top shelf and chips on the bottom.

Fresh fruit = a great snack. That looks like a bunch of empty calories.

I'm going with graham cracker crusts.

Yes, Faygo is soda. Cheap soda. Looks like they are still shopping at Aldi. That's what they Lawson can afford.

Yes, Faygo is soda. Cheap soda. Looks like they are still shopping at Aldi. That's what they Lawson can afford.

That still just makes me furious :angry-cussingblack: I have never in all my born days heard of a couple actively trying to reproduce, while having their older children pay for their groceries :angry-cussingblack:

Someone pass Kelly an asprin. Isn't that the new fundie endorsed birth control? :roll:

Even the lack of pasta or oats or other reasonably healthy non-perishables wouldn't be a concern except that you have to remember this is probably the best picture they have of their pantry... so they posted up the picture that looks like nothing but junk food?

If I were going to post a picture of my weekly shopping list or something, that'd be the week I didn't buy any ice cream! If I were going to post a picture of my dinner, I wouldn't post my dinner from last Monday (four hours at the doctor's office after school = McDonald's for dinner), I'd pick a day I actually cooked! And if I were going to post a picture of my pantry, I'd be sure to get an angle that made me look awesome, not one that made me look like I eat nothing but chips. Even if that meant cleaning the darn thing and re-organizing altogether.

So it's not just a picture of a bunch of junk food and none of what most of us would consider staples, it's all that PLUS they apparently see nothing wrong with having this representative sample of their eating habits posted to the entire world. I'd be embarrassed!

I have never in all my born days heard of a couple actively trying to reproduce, while having their older children pay for their groceries

Well, there's a first time for everything!

Looks like my pantry....to include the paper plates. If I am doing a quick meal, we use paper plates. I also use plastic cups when I am lazy.

Yep, Faygo is a soda. A regional brand.

Faygo is made in Detroit. It is cheaper than Coke and Pepsi and it comes in a variety of flavors. If you go to an Insane Clown Posse concert, they might spray you with it. Good stuff.

I seriously doubt that is a picture of their entire pantry. Think about the size of the rebuilt house. Think about the space the Duggars allotted for dry goods. That pantry is hardly anything.

EDIT: Yep - by regional, I don't mean Southern, more.... the central chunk of the US. It's very closely-associated with ICP and juggalos... if you actually know anything about them, which most people, even the ones buying Faygo, don't.

What is up with the plastic cups and paper plates? You would think that would be incredibly expensive with so many people eating off of them. Are they only for certain occasions like picnics or an everyday thing? Does anyone here eat all their meals off of disposable dishes?

Don't own any disposable dishes, but if 19 children were living under my roof you can be damn sure we would all be eating on disposable dishes 24/7. I would also be looking into the idea of disposable clothing.... Perhaps a good reason for me to avoid having 19 children- I am way too lazy!!

I wanna know how much all that garbage cost? That money could have gone to better purposes.

Eh, like many here I shop at Aldi, not because it's all I can afford, but because I like what I can get there. I shop at Aldi and Wegman's, which is a regular (maybe even higher-end) grocery store. There are certain things that we get at Aldi that I either cannot get at other stores, or it's the same or better quality than I can get elsewhere. Plus, I like their business practices.

I love Cheese-Its. The picture was taken prior to a Duggar family visit, hence the big jars of dill pickles. Looks about right for snacks for 35 kids, which was the total at that time, or for a weekend when my six kids and their friends were teenagers. The two boys would come home from school, scarf down 3 PBJs each and then have 3 helpings at dinner 2 hours later. Maybe that's the reason they both grew to 6' 3"? That was back when sodium was called salt and nobody knew it was poison, it just made food taste better, that and butter. Disposable dinnerware was considered smart for large, casual groups.

We've got 2 teenaged boys in the house and that doesn't look like an unreasonable amount of junk food for my household (my kids can devour a ton of junk while still eating regular healthy meals). Obviously it's not their entire pantry (I'm assuming they've got shelves full of cream soup and veggies somewhere, maybe next to the freezer full of tater tots).

ETA - Faygo is regional? We used to be able to get it here in Ontario when I was a little kid.

With three little ones, I use paper plates for Saturday lunch and one or two other times a week. Just makes it a bit easier for me.

Archived