IGNORED

Modern Family

QAF_Rocks

Does anyone else watch Modern Family?

I have to admit, while I like the show, I've been increasingly disenchanted by their portrayal of women and girls. The last episode (with the stereotypical depiction of menstruation) really struck a sour note with me.

Of the female characters on the show, Haley is portrayed as a brainless ditz. Alex is intelligent, but in previous seasons has been pressured to conform to gender and relationship stereotypes (wearing a dress, going to a dance) and her first kiss was forced on her. Gloria and Claire apparently do not have jobs or careers, even though their children are teenagers.

I know the humor tends toward broad stereotypes, and I see no reason for them to be uber-PC, but these things bother me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny and the writing is great.

I thought the last episode was over-exaggerated - but laughed anyway. It got my hubby freaked out, which made me laugh even more.

I didn't think it was one of their better episodes, but I did chuckle at some of the scenes.

When the show first started, I found it funnier than I do now. They do still have some very good episodes, but others are not quite as amusing. I was also slightly bothered by the virginity episode a few weeks ago.

Aaron and I watch nearly every week, he is especially devoted to the show. We find it amusing most of the time and Aaron always says I remind him of Cam. LOL

Modern Family makes me die with nearly every episode.

That said, the period one did bug me a little too.

• 1 year later...

I liked the earlier episodes better, and then the whole one spouse not working / dizzy dame thing got to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For some reason I find Lily's bitchiness hilarious.

Also "I've seen their Manny. You look nothing like him." was a great line.

Aubrey Anderson-Emmons, who plays Lily, is the daughter of comedian Amy Anderson, so there's that. I think she comes by it naturally. And her mom is Korean, BTW.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/re ... 99283.html

Agreed, both Lilys have been hysterically funny. The baby had this wonderful deadpan look on her face in the midst of comedic chaos, while Aubrey Anderson-Emmons is hilariously snarky.

Archived