IGNORED

Why be a femanist. Great Essay

Swamptribe

I am reading the essay now and really enjoying it.

This struck a chord with me

The following day, I attended a workshop about preventing gender violence, facilitated by Katz. There, he posed a question to all of the men in the room: "Men, what things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?"

Not one man, including myself, could quickly answer the question. Finally, one man raised his hand and said, "Nothing." Then Katz asked the women, "What things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?" Nearly all of the women in the room raised their hand. One by one, each woman testified:

"I don't make eye contact with men when I walk down the street," said one.

"I don't put my drink down at parties," said another.

"I use the buddy system when I go to parties."

"I cross the street when I see a group of guys walking in my direction."

"I use my keys as a potential weapon."

"I carry mace or pepper spray."

"I watch what I wear."

The writer makes lots of good points

Feminists did not hate men. In fact, they loved men. But just as my father had silenced my mother during their arguments to avoid hearing her gripes, men silenced feminists by belittling them in order to dodge hearing the truth about who we are.

That quote made me think about Sandra Fluke

After reading this thread, it reminded me a list my friend posted to her FB on tips of how men can help stop sexual assault (apologies to those who have seen it before):

sexual%20assault%20prev%20tips.jpg

I wish I could send this to my boyfriend, but I know he wouldn't read it. He doesn't care and finds discussions about women and women's rights "boring."

I read it though. Made me want to cry.

Archived