IGNORED

Fetus Dies in Your Womb in GA? Too Bad, Carry to Term.

0KidsAndHappy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 35976.html

“Life gives us many experiences,†England explained. “I’ve had the experience of delivering calves, dead and alive — delivering pigs, dead and alive. … It breaks our hearts to see those animals not make it.â€

England went on to tell the story of a man who expressed his concern about abortion with his own animal metaphor.

"[The man] said, ‘Mr. Terry, I want to tell you something. You tell those folks down there when they quit killing babies, they can have every chicken I’ve got,'" England said.

Oh my god...they know that can KILL a woman, right? Or do they just not care?

Seriously, this movement stopped being about "life" decades ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/terry-england-farm-animals_n_1335976.html

“Life gives us many experiences,†England explained. “I’ve had the experience of delivering calves, dead and alive — delivering pigs, dead and alive. … It breaks our hearts to see those animals not make it.â€

England went on to tell the story of a man who expressed his concern about abortion with his own animal metaphor.

"[The man] said, ‘Mr. Terry, I want to tell you something. You tell those folks down there when they quit killing babies, they can have every chicken I’ve got,'" England said.

Okay, Mr. England. If he breaks your heart, imagine what it does to the parents? It's still a stillbirth after 20 weeks if the woman miscarries on her own. Does he not also realize that if the fetus dies and does not miscarry on its own, infection is likely to result and kill the mother?

When are Republicans going to shut up about social issues like abortion and start focusing on the economy. Few people actually want to get into this again. Abortion is done and over with it. It's allowed and is not going away for a good reason. Abortion is fine like it is and it's the economy that needs taken care of.

When are Republicans going to shut up about social issues like abortion and start focusing on the economy. Few people actually want to get into this again. Abortion is done and over with it. It's allowed and is not going away for a good reason. Abortion is fine like it is and it's the economy that needs taken care of.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that Obama tried to get Republicans distracted with abortion in order to help them make fools of themselves and lose the election... and that it succeeded beyond the wildest strategic dreams. I cannot believe what's going on right now in this country, and Republicans really are making themselves look so anti-women and un-electable right now to all but a crazy minority -- and that crazy is not going to be enough to win them the presidency.

Oh, God. This reminds me of an article about a woman who learned, shortly before her due date, that her baby had recently died in utero. She elected to wait to go into labor naturally, so, for several days, she had to endure the smiles and congratulations of well-meaning strangers. I cannot imagine the agony she went through.

....eh? Someone help me out here. What's the metaphor? I don't get it. Is it in reference to the chant 'An egg is not a chicken, and... I'm going to have an abortion... unless you give me a chicken'?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/terry-england-farm-animals_n_1335976.html

I'm just going by the quote. Is this an animal sanctuary? If not, they do eventually kill those calves and pigs. So, it seems weird and offensive to compare a human pregnancy with a pig who has been impregnated for the sole purpose of providing humans with food. We are going to eat the pig's young, after all. It isn't like the farmers are taking care of pregnant livestock with no intention of benefitting from their pregnancies. What a crappy, offensive analogy

Edited to add:

It is pretty crappy to compare a woman to an animal, anyway. It says something about the way these people view women and pregnancy. Women and children-like farm animals-are owned by men who get to decide their faith. That is why it isn't a big jump in logic for those on the far right to compare women to farm animals

Just to add my anecdata: I have a relative who had one twin die in utero. The other twin was still alive but not doing so well that it was a good idea to deliver early. She had to be monitored constantly. It was not safe to have the dead fetus inside her. It presented a risk to her life; I am not sure of the details, but she was very worried about both her own health and the living twin until the birth.

The poor mother can die from infection. Not to mention the mental stress of carrying around your dead baby. People come up to you in the store - ask you when you are due - gah. A friend of mine had to wait 4 days to be induced to deliver her stillborn DD I think I'd have asked to be sedated for the 4 days - how awful.

Oh my god...they know that can KILL a woman, right? Or do they just not care?

Seriously, this movement stopped being about "life" decades ago.

You're giving them too much credit. I don't believe that it was ever about life.

I know I'm very quiet, but this one I've lived through this. It isn't always deadly to have the dead fetus hang around. It is however kind of scary and creepy. We were having twins and one died in utero at about four months. The pregnancy continued albeit with a lot of premature labor and such, but no infection, until just over 37 weeks and the remaining twin was perfectly healthy. I did have to have a D&C after the birth as the deceased twin did not fully expel.

To try to force someone to carry a deceased fetus is horrible. I had a friend who did that and yes the questions and well wishes would have driven me around the bend. She said it was better for her even with the comments to wait and let nature take it's course. I didn't have a choice unless I was willing to give up the living fetus, but I can't imagine forcing women to wait.

Welcome, Abigail. And I'm glad you have a healthy baby.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that Obama tried to get Republicans distracted with abortion in order to help them make fools of themselves and lose the election... and that it succeeded beyond the wildest strategic dreams. I cannot believe what's going on right now in this country, and Republicans really are making themselves look so anti-women and un-electable right now to all but a crazy minority -- and that crazy is not going to be enough to win them the presidency.

Really? The social conservatives have had nothing but abortion on their minds for years, and the GOP is their bitch.

For that matter, Obama didn't have to lift a finger to get the GOP candidates to stir up a hornet's nest with the birth control issue.

Oh, got derailed by that other comment before I had a chance to say: I need to keep a vomit bag in my purse for shit like this. Is it even possible to go 24 hours anymore without something like this coming out?

Really? The social conservatives have had nothing but abortion on their minds for years, and the GOP is their bitch.

For that matter, Obama didn't have to lift a finger to get the GOP candidates to stir up a hornet's nest with the birth control issue.

I think Obama is just standing back and letting them out-crazy each other. If you look at the turnout for this primary, it is not enough to elect a President and also some of the Republican voters, probs a lot of them, think all of the candidates are a bad choice. They keep saying crazy shit all over the place on fucking camera. Obama is best served by letting them show their true colors; he has not been a perfect president, but he is not batshit crazy and he is looking more and more electable by the day.

They want to punish the woman for miscarrying the child. They don't believe that some women can just have a miscarriage through no fault of her own so they want to punish the woman and delay her grieving process.

I know I'm very quiet, but this one I've lived through this. It isn't always deadly to have the dead fetus hang around. It is however kind of scary and creepy. We were having twins and one died in utero at about four months. The pregnancy continued albeit with a lot of premature labor and such, but no infection, until just over 37 weeks and the remaining twin was perfectly healthy. I did have to have a D&C after the birth as the deceased twin did not fully expel.

To try to force someone to carry a deceased fetus is horrible. I had a friend who did that and yes the questions and well wishes would have driven me around the bend. She said it was better for her even with the comments to wait and let nature take it's course. I didn't have a choice unless I was willing to give up the living fetus, but I can't imagine forcing women to wait.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Abigail. Welcome to FJ.

I'd like to read the full transcript and to see the quote in context. I dont like taking snippets of things. I've followed this issue very closely (as I am in georgia) and I'm not getting a "valid journalism" vibe from this one.

Guest Anonymous

My sister had one of her twins die in utero at 26 weeks. Her doc told her that her body would automatically go into labor within a couple of weeks and she did go into labor about a week and a half later. There was no stopping it.

Guest Anonymous
Okay, Mr. England. If he breaks your heart, imagine what it does to the parents? It's still a stillbirth after 20 weeks if the woman miscarries on her own. Does he not also realize that if the fetus dies and does not miscarry on its own, infection is likely to result and kill the mother?

A 1000 times this! But you know what, I don't see them removing their heads from their asses anytime soon.

Thank you, ladies. It was an fertility assisted pregnancy and we were very happy to get at least one healthy child so that helped with the grief.

One and done so sorry for your sister. That is probably more common than being able to hold off labor.

Abigail, I am sorry about your experience but am glad that your child arrived safely.

I worked with a woman who had a child die in utero (this was years before I worked with her) and she did carry the fetus for several weeks afterward. She didn't share with others and had to deal with comments how when she was due, she didn't look six months pregnant, etc. She finally miscarried but years later you could see what a devastating experience it was. I can't imagine forcing women to do this.

Mr. England, I am not a farm animal. Save your chickens for Chick-Fil-A, they seem about your speed.

They want to punish the woman for miscarrying the child. They don't believe that some women can just have a miscarriage through no fault of her own so they want to punish the woman and delay her grieving process.

This. Plus, the Republicans don't have any solutions to the economic downturn and it's easier to focus on "social" issues.

I don't get this at all. If the child is already dead, you can't "kill it", can you? It's like fetus worship at its most extreme.

Archived