IGNORED

I'm thinking about going to Forthys church 4 Mass on Sunday

mrs

Anyone else in Nova want to check it out?

His church is St. Catherine of Siena, Great Falls VA. Its a off branch of Roman Catholicism , they still saymass in Latin. Basically they don't believe in Vatican II. Now I got to get hubby on board. And pick out an outfit, I don't think jeans a polo and blazer will blend end. :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We attended a latin mass a couple of years ago. I wanted to find out what it was like as I had only been to english language masses before. We sat towards the back of the church. There was some really old grandpa type guy in front of me and he looked like he had been there many times so whatever grandpa did, so did I. The women who knew what they were doing had coverings on their hair and so did their little daughters. What really got me was the incense...not the best thing for an asthmatic to be around!

Anyone else in Nova want to check it out?

His church is St. Catherine of Siena, Great Falls VA. Its a off branch of Roman Catholicism , they still saymass in Latin. Basically they don't believe in Vatican II. Now I got to get hubby on board. And pick out an outfit, I don't think jeans a polo and blazer will blend end. :P

I just googled, it is a regular Roman Catholic church, in good standing with Rome. The noon Mass is the Latin Mass. The other Masses are in English.

I just googled, it is a regular Roman Catholic church, in good standing with Rome. The noon Mass is the Latin Mass. The other Masses are in English.

Quite true. Because these Latin Tridentine Masses tend to attract the most conservative Catholics, they are sometimes mistaken for the fundie-super-ultra-Catholic Vatican-II-hatin' kind of church Mel Gibson and his pals align themselves with.

I am no longer Catholic, but still find the Mass to be very beautiful. Since it is Lent, the mood may be more somber, some things may be draped in purple.

Unless you are Catholic, you are not supposed to take Communion. However, I do not know how anyone would know. The priest will offer the bread to you and say "Body of Chirst" and you respond "Amen" (people may bow slightly as they approach the alter)

In some churches, you stick out your tongue and the priest places the bread(a thin wafer) on your tongue. Many churches allow you to accept the bread in your hand. Years ago, only the priest could touch the bread.

Depending on the church too, if you want to go up for a blessing for communion instead of taking communion, I THINK the protocol is to cross your arms over your heart. (Its been 5 years since I attended mass last and longer still since I took communion, 10 maybe?)

Head coverings I think if they require em~ a bandana or even a hat will suffice.

Quite true. Because these Latin Tridentine Masses tend to attract the most conservative Catholics, they are sometimes mistaken for the fundie-super-ultra-Catholic Vatican-II-hatin' kind of church Mel Gibson and his pals align themselves with.

yes THIS

Unless you are Catholic, you are not supposed to take Communion. However, I do not know how anyone would know.

They won't know, so if you like the thought of annoying them, you could always go up. :twisted:

Back in 1998 I went to John Stockton's Catholic church(I had a big chrush on him). I had a co-worker that knew what mass he went to. I grew up catholic so I can still say every prayer and response by heart (in english and latin).

I say if you live close by go for it! It would be interesting even if Rick is not there to see the community he worships in. It is only 1 hour and it will make a great story. Now the real issue is do you go up and get communion and if you don;t how will people look at you (if he goes to as a parish that is very traditional).

Are some catholic churches really still that formal these days? I spent 12 years in catholic school and lived in an affulent new england suburb and didn't find the dress code that strict. I don't attend anymore but my mom does and she wears shorts in the summer. I always felt that the catholic church carried more about the amount you put in the basket then what you wore.

They won't know, so if you like the thought of annoying them, you could always go up. :twisted:

It's not very respectful to do. I'm Catholic, and, as such, I'm not to receive communion in non-Catholic churches. On occasion I've been to a Lutheran, Episcopal, and Methodist service. I've never gone to their communion.

It's not very respectful to do. I'm Catholic, and, as such, I'm not to receive communion in non-Catholic churches. On occasion I've been to a Lutheran, Episcopal, and Methodist service. I've never gone to their communion.

That's your choice. But if someone likes the thought of breaking the rules, I was pointing out that they can go ahead without fear of being caught. Frankly, I don't feel compelled to follow the Catholic church's rules. I think religion gets too much undeserved respect as it is. However, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was Catholic (even for the few minutes it takes to receive the host) and there's no real point to taking communion unless you're going to go "neener, neener, neener" afterwards. Which, I concede, is probably a bit immature.

From what I understand, (and its been YEARS since my last instruction in any kind of Catholic theology) the reason that non Catholics cannot take communion (with the exception of I think Eastern Orthodox and some Anglicans ) is because Catholics believe that in transubstantiation - that the wine and wafer turn into the actual body and blood of Jesus. Most other Christian denominations view it as symbolic as the "body" is like more like, its a dinner and they're all partaking- (this is my UNDERSTANDING and as someone who was raised Catholic but never understood Christianity at ALL, period ) like, they're all having dinner and stating that "we are part of a family here" and the "body" part of it is meant as like the "body" of Christianity or the church.

My Catholic mother always allowed us to take communion at the Protestant or Baptist church when we went (my dad played the organ and so he'd get odd jobs sometimes in the summer when the local Baptist church's organist would go on vacation). But then again, she also doesn't believe in transubstantiation either, she calls it "bad theology". O_O (she's the most CYNICAL Catholic I've ever met).

That's your choice. But if someone likes the thought of breaking the rules, I was pointing out that they can go ahead without fear of being caught. Frankly, I don't feel compelled to follow the Catholic church's rules. I think religion gets too much undeserved respect as it is. However, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was Catholic (even for the few minutes it takes to receive the host) and there's no real point to taking communion unless you're going to go "neener, neener, neener" afterwards. Which, I concede, is probably a bit immature.

You wouldn't be able to neener neener, because god would have made your tongue fall off, or something equally vile. :lol:

You wouldn't be able to neener neener, because god would have made your tongue fall off, or something equally vile. :lol:

He'd hit the smite key... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FarSideGodComputerSmall.jpg

(Personally I believe no such thing as I never believed in transubstantiation and took communion anyways as a teenager... )

But then again, she also doesn't believe in transubstantiation either, she calls it "bad theology". O_O (she's the most CYNICAL Catholic I've ever met).

It's actually surprising how many Catholics don't believe in it and/or don't know they're supposed to believe in it.

http://ncronline.org/news/catholics-america/knowledge-and-belief-about-real-presence

Of course, when you take into account the fact that American Catholics tend to disagree with the Vatican on a whole host (pardon the pun) of issues, perhaps it's not so surprising. ;)

It's actually surprising how many Catholics don't believe in it and/or don't know they're supposed to believe in it.

http://ncronline.org/news/catholics-america/knowledge-and-belief-about-real-presence

Of course, when you take into account the fact that American Catholics tend to disagree with the Vatican on a whole host (pardon the pun) of issues, perhaps it's not so surprising. ;)

Yeah, I didn't even KNOW what it was until HIGH SCHOOL. Great Catholic education I GOT! HA! And when I got to high school, I was all "WTF are you KIDDING ME?!?!??!!?".

My mom knows darn well she's supposed to believe in it, I keep telling her "mom! you're a closet Protestant!" or I'll call her a heretic (which I'm no position to judge as I'm no longer even Christian!) . Which she thinks is hysterical and responds with "DAMN SKIPPY".

Yeah, I didn't even KNOW what it was until HIGH SCHOOL. Great Catholic education I GOT! HA! And when I got to high school, I was all "WTF are you KIDDING ME?!?!??!!?".

My boyfriend and his sister didn't know either, and they were sent to Catholic elementary school. I took a look at their First Communion textbooks a while back, and it's certainly not at all clear! I can see how children would just assume that it's symbolic.

My boyfriend and his sister didn't know either, and they were sent to Catholic elementary school. I took a look at their First Communion textbooks a while back, and it's certainly not at all clear! I can see how children would just assume that it's symbolic.

I had NO idea as I'd pretend potato chips were the wafers. I was evilly irreverent even then... :twisted:

Archived