IGNORED

A Case Study of a Self-Hating Racist

super skeptic

There's a new post on Kidist's blog - an email from a 76 year old gay man (in response to her "My Husband" post about the gay Jeopardy contestant). Her response, in part:

What a fucking cunt. I'm definitely thinking of devoting a WTF File to Kidist. She is so fucking vile. Has anyone contacted Laura's yet?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a slightly different topic her inconsistency annoys me. She critizes the trend of extremely skinny women then goes to bash Gail Simmons for her weight.

WHAt. Maybe it's just be, but Gail Simmons is very sexy and feminine to me.

Then again I notice many female misogynist say this about other women's weights

There's a new post on Kidist's blog - an email from a 76 year old gay man (in response to her "My Husband" post about the gay Jeopardy contestant). Her response, in part:

Fuck you, Kidist. Really. Fuck. You.

There's still a very long way to go before gays and lesbians not only have full civil rights, but are also (at the very least) accepted and tolerated by all but the most backward bigots and religious fanatics. But, given the changes in attitudes I've seen during my time on this planet so far, we're getting there. Fifteen years ago, I never dreamed that we'd have marriage equality in any US states--domestic partnerships and partner benefits from employers were the big issue, not full-blown marriage. That some Western countries would make marriage equality law seemed like a nice fantasy that could maybe become reality someday, in the far-off future.

So to see that nice fantasy actually becoming reality, bit by bit? Bigots can hand-wring and denounce it all they want, but the tide of history (at least here in the West) is against them--that's why they have to resort to so much screaming and foot-stomping and doom-crying. Kidist and her ilk are on the losing side, and they're not going to go quietly or without leaving a conspicuous trail of ugliness in their wake. Oh, well. Suit yourself, Kidist. I'm just happy I don't have to "live the reality of your existence." It seems like a truly shitty place to be.

If she thinks immigrants are destroying Toronto, why doesn't she scuttle back to Ethiopia? I don't get how you can justify such a level of cognitive dissonance.

If she thinks immigrants are destroying Toronto, why doesn't she scuttle back to Ethiopia? I don't get how you can justify such a level of cognitive dissonance.

I think she thinks that she's doing it right because she is not like those other people who aren't ashamed to speak their language, or have dark skin, or mingle with other minorities (the nerve!) or dress a little differently, or not be Christian or not be conservative, or not adhere to Kidist's very weird and specific rules for life.

She really took adapting to her new environment to the far extreme, siding with the ultra-conservative racists who she believes are the best embodiment of being white. I really think that deep down she wishes she were white, so this is her next-best option.

Still more of her anti-Chinese ranting: http://cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2012/03/st ... treet.html

You know, when someone makes a large donation to a hospital in my city, my general response is Thank You. But no, if you are Kidist, you see this as part of some weird conspiracy to destroy G-d and Canadian society. Personally, I think that both G-d and Canadians think that donating money to help sick people get better is a good thing, and infinity better for society that Kidist's rantings.

I...don't understand.

And can 100 percent guarantee riots in Parisian banlieues were not caused by bad architecture.

Remind me again, Kidist, of your extensive historical ties to Canada? I'm sat here waiting, I've got a while.

I don't understand this personal vendetta against Chinese people.

Also, wtf? Ugliness is an offence against God? And she gets to define what ugliness is? :?

Ugh, I'm barely reading that article where she responded to the gay man and I can't believe how arrogant and foolish she is.

Her stupid worldview is such that she can't seem to distinguish between good and bad anymore. Hence, when she looks in the mirror she probably sees a righteous Godly woman instead of the hateful viper she is.

Well, she's locked her Facebook page down - no more photo of herself, or links to her blogs. I'm betting she's getting some major feedback.

I went to the Laura in Eaton Centre looking for her - she wasn't there, but I'm there quite a lot, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Laura's not really my thing - it's a lot of overpriced, cheaply-made prom dresses and 'older lady in a secretarial pool' clothes - so I can see why she's not exactly fashion-forward.

As for why she hates Chinese people, it sounds to me like she's jealous. My partner is Chinese, and from my experience, Chinese culture is pretty easily accepted by white Canadians in Toronto, and Asian-White couples are very common. Chinese immigrants to Toronto have been very successful, judging by the average income and their high success rates in university. I think she sees Chinese immigrants keeping/flaunting their culture, yet still be widely accepted by the majority - and yet she tries so damned hard to be "white," and still she is an outsider.

As for why she hates Chinese people, it sounds to me like she's jealous. My partner is Chinese, and from my experience, Chinese culture is pretty easily accepted by white Canadians in Toronto, and Asian-White couples are very common. Chinese immigrants to Toronto have been very successful, judging by the average income and their high success rates in university. I think she sees Chinese immigrants keeping/flaunting their culture, yet still be widely accepted by the majority - and yet she tries so damned hard to be "white," and still she is an outsider.

Widely accepted? Maybe in Toronto, but not so much in the US. My own mother refuses to accept my Chinese fiance. :(

Widely accepted? Maybe in Toronto, but not so much in the US. My own mother refuses to accept my Chinese fiance. :(

Chinese-white couples are very, very common in the Greater Toronto Area and Vancouver, at least from what I've seen.

I'm sorry about your mother. I hope she loses some of her bigotry and comes to accept him. :(

Chinese-white couples are very, very common in the Greater Toronto Area and Vancouver, at least from what I've seen.

I'm sorry about your mother. I hope she loses some of her bigotry and comes to accept him. :(

I have a Chinese/Vietnamese sister-in-law and a niece and nephew who are half Chinese by a different sis in law. So Asians are quite a big part of our GTA family!

I'm very sorry about your mother too. I also hope that she comes to accept your fiance. That must be very difficult for you. *hugs*

I also wanted to say that, as much as it pisses me off for so many reasons, as a partially Asian woman, I have had so many white people, both in the US (where I'm from) and Australia (where I live now) tell me things like, "Well it's fine that you're Asian. Asians are the whitest of all the minorities." I've heard this from many white people, as if I'm supposed to appreciate being thrown the crumbs of their "acceptance"? My husband is white, and our baby looks white, and we have never gotten strange looks from people when we've been out together. I actually expected people to look at me strangely or ask me if I'm the sitter or nanny when walking around by myself with my white-looking baby, but that has yet to happen (I do worry about him hearing racist comments from people who will assume he is white, as he grows, and about him choosing to "pass", but that's neither here nor there.). Granted, of course there are people who discriminate against Asians, but I definitely think that in the West, east Asians have an easier time than other minorities do.

Anyway, I can see Kidist being really jealous of that, because I do believe that in most parts of the United States, Asians, especially upwardly mobile and educated Asians, have a better chance of being accepted by typically racist people than people of African descent. I do think that she is jealous. I also think she wants to actually be accepted by white people as white, and probably would like to have a white partner because of that (this is something I have seen in the mixed-race community I was brought up in, and have been personally accused of doing exactly that when I started dating my husband). I think that the fact that Asian women are so fetishized by white men, and statistically there are far fewer pairings between women of African descent with white men, vs. Asian women with white men, makes Kidist feel very insecure and jealous.

I just want to add that I don't think any of this is right, and I definitely don't feel some superiority over Kidist because I'm a part-Asian woman. I feel a sense of superiority over her because I'm not an evil bigot.

I went to the Laura in Eaton Centre looking for her - she wasn't there, but I'm there quite a lot, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Laura's not really my thing - it's a lot of overpriced, cheaply-made prom dresses and 'older lady in a secretarial pool' clothes - so I can see why she's not exactly fashion-forward.

I'm also pretty sure that this is, at its core, about jealousy and resentment. Toronto has an extremely large Chinese population, and yes, it's considered by most to be a successful community. I guess that seeing successful non-white immigrants makes her own lack of success all the more apparent, so in her mind she needs to find a way to argue that they either aren't really successful (hence Kidist the failed textile designer poses as fashion expert to criticize the highly successful Vera Wang), or that they are up to some devious plot. Combine that with some underlying mental health issue(s) [she has no social life, seems to be highly obsessive, lacks awareness of social cues, has no insight into how she is seen by others, is narcissistic and tends to assume that other people are agreeing with her when they clearly are not], and this is the toxic result.

I'm very sorry about your mother too. I also hope that she comes to accept your fiance. That must be very difficult for you. *hugs*

Thank you. To be honest, I think it's more of an excuse because she treated my brother's wife the same way even though she is white because she went to public school, is "immodest", and her parents are divorced. However, the very fact that it is used as an excuse and how it is used is troubling for me. I'm hoping she'll change when the grandbabies come.

• 1 month later...

Aaaah, I missed her crazy rants about the "White men/Asian woman" epidemic. Oh, I'm sorry, "epidemic." You can tell she's writing on one of her points of obsession because it's a REALLY LONG post.

It's boring when she posts about her so-called art and superior aesthetic (by which I mean plain, simplistic, and narrow).

Archived