IGNORED

Chaviva and Skylar gone...any recs for Jewish blogs?

LucySnowe

Chaviva's closed down entirely, and Skylar is on hiatus till April. Can anyone recommend interesting Jewish* blogs?

I'd prefer the Chaviva end of the spectrum, i.e. glimpses into someone's life rather than lectures on halacha.

I did check the stickied list but nothing's jumping out at me.

* Proper Jewish, not Lina-esque.

My favorite source is kveller.com - they have a roster of bloggers on their own blog, plus an additional blogroll with a bit of everything. There's a mix of religious levels of observance, parenting philosophies and everything else. Watch Mayim Bialik and Jordana Horn (Jerusalem Post's New York correspondent) in a smack-down debate over attachment parenting.

http://www.kveller.com/blog/

http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/boo ... and-spanx/

Jew in the City deals with various topics in Orthodox Judaism, and also has some decent videos. She's a BT (newly-religious Jew) who is now Modern Orthodox. Although she's from a different community and background than Out of the Orthobox, they are both into answering questions for the curious.

http://www.jewinthecity.com/blog/

Blog from an Orthodox Jewish mom in Israel, focusing on motherhood:

http://jewishmom.com/blog/

Economics and the Orthodox world:

http://orthonomics.blogspot.com/

List of bloggers from Jerusalem Post:

http://blogs.jpost.com/blog_directory

redefiningrebbetzin.com/

myshtub.blogspot.com/ (Lubavitcher woman, really great photography)

hadassahsabo.wordpress.com/

jewishmom.com/

ccostello.blogspot.com.

And I know you didn't want fake-Jew, but I just must plug a family that I really wish got more attention on FJ. They stopped blogging in 2010, but their archives are still up and very interesting: jennysjabber.blogspot.com (Mom) and femininityinafeministworld.blogspot.com (daughter).

I read a blog once, I think it was recced on FJ, about a woman who was a never-married 40-something frum lady and was considering having a secular relationship (a.k.a. sex outside of marriage). I cannot remember the address for it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I read a blog once, I think it was recced on FJ, about a woman who was a never-married 40-something frum lady and was considering having a secular relationship (a.k.a. sex outside of marriage). I cannot remember the address for it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Was that Nice Jewish Girl at shomernegiah.blogspot.com?

I hope she's okay. I've been concerned about her since I first read her.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, and does anyone have a link to Chaviva's FB page (assuming it's publicly accessible)? I couldn't find it.

I also adore MyShtub! I mostly blog about crafting, but there's some Judaism thrown in there as well:) http://www.keshetstarr.com/

I've been to your blog several times, never realised you were a fellow FJ'er!

I also adore MyShtub! I mostly blog about crafting, but there's some Judaism thrown in there as well:) http://www.keshetstarr.com/

Your little girl is adorable. Mazel tov! (I hope that's not too preposterous of a non-Jew to say.)

I second Out of the Orthobox. Ruchi, the blogger, is good people and genuinely cares about bringing Jews of all observance levels together. She's good at fostering interesting discussion without things disintegrating into denominational infighting.

If you're open to non-Orthodox blogs, I also recommend Hatam Soferet (Livejournal here, Torah-only blog here). She's a female sofer, or Torah scribe and blogs both about that and Judaism in general. I find her inspirational and her blog fascinating. She's also the person who made Tefillin Barbie, which I seem to remember getting some play here.

The Reform Shuckle is also very good; the writer, David, is (obviously) Reform and talks a lot about his approach to observance, has a Siddur obsession that rivals my own and writes a lot of interesting stuff. He also writes over at Jewschool. And if you want recipes, Shiksa In the Kitchen (who's now a Jew in the kitchen- a fellow convert!) has phenomenal stuff.

That was her, thanks! But I see she hasn't blogged in nearly a year. I hope she's okay.

oh and also, Keshet, your daughter is totally charming :) mazal tov!

(ETA that I just figured out that we have friends in common - thank you FB!)

oh and also, Keshet, your daughter is totally charming :) mazal tov!

(ETA that I just figured out that we have friends in common - thank you FB!)

LOL, I also read My Shrub and Keshet and had no idea Keshet is a member here. :dance: I showed my daughter your scrapbooking stuff and she is totally into scraping now. Also your baby , so squeeeeeeeeeeezable and so cute! I love the 1 month sticker too.

I second Out of the Orthobox. Ruchi, the blogger, is good people and genuinely cares about bringing Jews of all observance levels together. She's good at fostering interesting discussion without things disintegrating into denominational infighting.

Ruchi is polite but very fundy (even for someone yeshivish). She has defended newspapers that cut out women's photos, signs that tell women to step aside when men approach... according to her the people who erase women from public view are being 100% respectful of women. Rubs me the wrong way. It is an interesting blog to read to see a very right-wing yeshivish perspective, though.

Your daughter is precious! How do you find the time to do all that blogging and crafty stuff with a newborn?

I also love the name Eliana! We named baby #2 Eliana, for much the same reason (she came along after 2 consecutive miscarriages, and gave us some big scares during the pregnancy). When I heard the name 10 years ago, I thought, "wow, it's nice, meaningful and unique". Little did I know that everyone else was thinking the same thing, since the name has skyrocketed in popularity.

Ruchi is polite but very fundy (even for someone yeshivish). She has defended newspapers that cut out women's photos, signs that tell women to step aside when men approach... according to her the people who erase women from public view are being 100% respectful of women. Rubs me the wrong way. It is an interesting blog to read to see a very right-wing yeshivish perspective, though.

I like and read her blog regularly but yes, very fundy, and sometimes strikes me as a little bit full of herself (at least in the comments).

True, she is very fundie, and I can freely say that my opinions and hers regarding things like observance and the validity of non-Ortho denominations are very divergent. I mean, she wouldn't consider me Jewish at all, given who performed my conversion, which obviously isn't an opinion I share. But she's very respectful of denominational differences, so far as I've seen, and has never been anything but kind and polite to me, and that counts for a lot. I don't need to agree with someone about everything to enjoy reading their blog and find their posts thought-provoking.

And yeah, she can be a bit know-it-all-ish occasionally, but so can I. I have noticed that there's a certain brand of pedantry that seems to proliferate in the frum blogosphere, though. Not sure why.

Here's another one that I like:

introducingyael.livejournal.com/

Things are relatively slow/calm in her life and blog right now, but I was following her right after her baby girl passed away. She's a BT Lubavitcher, who became religious but still managed to retain a lot of her unique personality. She's quite awesome.

Archived