IGNORED

Fundy-lite FB friend: no bikini for my 4-year old

camdendayton

I don't think children are more at risk if they're dressed in 'immodest' clothing. They're at risk because there are sick perverts out there and I don't think it makes any difference about what they're wearing.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like bikini bathing suits on little girls. I think it looks sexualized. I don't have a problem with tankini, it just looks like a little shirt. I don't like putting what looks like a little bra on a child.

Thanks so much for the photo emmiedahl! I forgot about Hana Andersson. I am looking for suits and those are perfect!

I used to spend small fortunes at Hanna Andersson, but it paid off well because they do not stain, tear or wear out. Also, they are cut to grow into, so each child wears the item for 2-4 years, and then it gets passed down. I cannot afford them right now, but we have plenty of items in the hand-me-down collection that were bought up to a decade ago and look great still.

I was introduced to the brand by Orthodox Jewish friends. The long playdresses with leggings were a staple in their home.

I love Hanna Andersson and sometimes you can get good deals on the clothes on ebay.

It can be really hard to find option #1 in the stores, and if someone stocks them, they go fast! It's frustrating. I ended up ordering a few for my kiddo online last year.

I guess I'm out of it when it comes to kids' wear. Shouldn't be a surprise, since one of the things I dread most about having kids is all the shopping! I will for sure have to have a shopping buddy when/if I have kids.

I don't mind naked children, in fact I think it is ideal for preschoolers and toddlers. But I have a real problem with bikinis cut to look sexy. My kids dress like children, because they in fact are children. Not all bikinis are sexy, I was just looking at a Hanna Andersson catalog and wishing I had a chubby baby girl I could buy this for:

Z12S38536_12_4L?$LiveFullW$

Hanna Andersson has lots of kid-appropriate swimwear and bikinis, if any of you are in need of that. Once again, the Swedes get it right.

I would never pick it up off a shelf, but too cute on that little girl! Us US Americans are total prudes, but I will totally let my (pretend) baby(s) run around in their diapers. :)

I had never heard of Hanna Andersson. Those clothes are so cute and child appropriate. I do have a niece and some nephews. I know for awhile little girls clothes were really looking like mini-versions of adult or juniors clothing; they might still be I haven't looked in some time. I just don't think little girls should be dressed as miniatures of adults. I just feel that kids clothes should be fun and made for play.

When my daughter was three when she went to the dentist in a bikini. She was outside playing and tripped and fell and injured her two front teeth, blood everywhere. I scooped her up, grabbed my keys and her security blanket and off to the dentist we went. Good thing I grabbed her blanket because it was freezing in the dentist's office.

A toddler or a preschooler wearing a bikini is just not a big deal to me. My teenager with her newly developed figure is a whole 'nother issue.

I had never heard of Hanna Andersson. Those clothes are so cute and child appropriate. I do have a niece and some nephews. I know for awhile little girls clothes were really looking like mini-versions of adult or juniors clothing; they might still be I haven't looked in some time. I just don't think little girls should be dressed as miniatures of adults. I just feel that kids clothes should be fun and made for play.

What is really hard is when your 7 y.o. grand daughter is 5' 1" and weighs 115 lbs. Swim suits aren't a problem, she wears TYR suits, she's on a swim team. But age appropriate clothing is very hard to find.

I would never pick it up off a shelf, but too cute on that little girl! Us US Americans are total prudes, but I will totally let my (pretend) baby(s) run around in their diapers. :)

I'll shop for you!! I don't really know if I ever want kids but I do know I want to shop for them. I always look at the kids clothing sections when shopping because the stuff is just too darn cute.

I'll shop for you!! I don't really know if I ever want kids but I do know I want to shop for them. I always look at the kids clothing sections when shopping because the stuff is just too darn cute.

Sounds good. If it ever happens I'll let you know. ;-) :whistle:

The only thing I dislike about four-year-olds wearing bikinis is that they don't need the top half at all and yet the designers have decided that their nipples have to be covered when they don't even have breasts. I don't have an issue with it from a modesty angle...I think it's a bit messed up when people talk about their four-year-olds having to be modest, ironically they are sexualising them more.

Up until this past summer, my DD (now 5) didn't even wear a bikini top. I just put the bottoms on her and let her go. I don't see the point in covering up the top if there's nothing there. I grew up on the beach as a girl and wore bottoms only once I was out of diapers up until I was 9, that's when I started feeling weird (mostly because of other people's comments).

I was happy to go around topless until I was ten! I mean, I didn't, but it didn't bother me. I used to run around the beach naked until I was three or four and at school, up until the age of six, we did PE in our underwear and sometimes I would only be wearing knickers (panties). I think boys and girls should just go around in bottoms on the beach until they stop feeling comfortable (granted there aren't sun issues).

Sounds good. If it ever happens I'll let you know. ;-) :whistle:

LOL I let my 2 year old sun run around nude sometimes. Rather its a case of he escapes me while I'm dressing him and I figure "why bother". If he's not in overalls, but in pants and a shirt, he WILL get his clothes off and run around in just a diaper. 2 year old's natural state/ NAKED AND RUNNING.

I've learned from this thread that there's quite a difference between a two piece bathing suit and a bikini (never was in good enough shape to learn this by swimsuit shopping). In my opinion, if the kid is comfortable with a bare stomach and has adequate sunscreen, a two piece is ok.

When my niece was little and had a g tube, she wore a two piece swimsuit, not a bikini. It did make it much easier to feed her. She's better now, but she still likes to show off her "extra belly button" where the feeding tube once was.

DD always had a one-piece. She never asked for a bikini, and I never suggested one.

I think the newer ones styled like adult bikinis are inappropriate. But even the more modest ones are just uncomfortable, because the girls are flat chested, so the top rides up, and ends up under their armpits. Or, if it doesn't ride up, it's uncomfortably tight.

When my boys were toddlers and preschoolers it wasn't a big deal to run through the backyard sprinklers butt naked. In the front yard was either swimming suits or diapers or swim diapers. Only one time did we ever have a problem was when my youngest was about 18 months and he was running through the front yard sprinklers in a swim diaper and one of my fundy neighbors freaked out that he was showing much skin that it would defraud his 50 year old wife who was also a mother of 3 sons. Whatever. Nothing was showing as he was wearing a diaper meant to swim in other than his chubby little rolls.Thisneighbor said my baby should be wearing a modesty swimsuit for boys. At that time I had never heard of modesty swimsuits but thanks to this board I have and now know my neighbor is a crazy ass fundy. Shame he doesn't know his one son is gay and is out to everyone but him. But I adore the son and refuse to out him to his nasty dad.

I was a naked hippie kid. I don't think I owned a swimsuit until I was 6-7-8-ish. I played in water wearing panties, if that. We have loads of pictures of me in just underwear, especially at age 3-4.

Obviously modesty was not a concern for my parents. My mother was very opposed to sexualized clothing for little kids, but she doesn't mind nudity.

I was a naked hippie kid. I don't think I owned a swimsuit until I was 6-7-8-ish. I played in water wearing panties, if that. We have loads of pictures of me in just underwear, especially at age 3-4.

Obviously modesty was not a concern for my parents. My mother was very opposed to sexualized clothing for little kids, but she doesn't mind nudity.

I opened a baby book while I was cleaning today. The DD wore shorts and tshirts at the beach, usually she was with Dad on the sand while I was in the water. At Grandmas pool she was nekkid until 6, then in tankini things and tankini's when she visited family in the Islands. At the farm she saw no reason to own clothes to bath in, and at almost 27 she still feels the same way.

I was also one of those girls who wore just bottoms at the beach from the time I was out of diapers until I started puberty. Now, I would have my hypothetical child wear a swim shirt regardless of gender, but that's only for sun protection since I do have family members who had cancerous moles removed. I might get my niece a takini for her 4th birthday next month, but that's because she's got fair skin and blue eyes, and until she has actual breasts, I'm not getting her one of those triangle topped bikinis.

We don't do bikinis here - my DD is only 2.5 though so she wears swim shorts and a UV shirt over a swim diaper. DS wears swim\board shorts and a UV shirt. The kids take after me and burn easily.

I go for the skin coverage look myself - doesn't matter how much sunblock I put on.

Although I prefer 2 pieces to 1 piece. I remember how 1 piece suits used to try and crawl up your butt. I find and still find it easier not to accidentally show off vagina in a suit with short style bottoms.

The thing that sucks about 1 piece suits is when you have to go to the bathroom. You have to slide that wet fabric off your body and down and then wiggle it back up. It's not only inconvenient, it's uncomfortable. I had to wear 1 pieces when I was in our crazy psycho church and I hated it.

fc02rr.jpg

2aiiqv7.jpg

Not these exact colors/prints, but this (from Lands' End) is what I get for my 3rd-grader. I like the sun protection and they dry quickly.

fc02rr.jpg

2aiiqv7.jpg

Not these exact colors/prints, but this (from Lands' End) is what I get for my 3rd-grader. I like the sun protection and they dry quickly.

I like that. I like the skirt better than just a panty alone. The sun protection is so important.

Dont have a problem with kids in bikinis at all, but kiddy ones, not mini adult ones. I have seen some that i wouldnt wear let alone put child in!

Archived