IGNORED

Principal Slut Shames Pregnant 8th Grader

Alecto

WTF.. this sounds like something from 100 years ago. I hope that hideous jerk is fired.

I had no idea they still ran these boarding schools - horrible.

I think jumping to the conclusion the girl was raped is silly, many young teens have sex quite willingly. Obviously she should have used protection - but I'm getting the idea this school wasn't big on sex ed. And no matter how she got pregnant how dare that jerk humiliate her that way ? What a horrible example he is setting !

13 is younger than the age of consent in new Mexico. Unless the person she ha:0d sex with is a minor themselves, legally she couldn't fully consent, this means if she had sex with an adult she was raped.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the schools, it's the whole system. There was an article recently on Innus in Canada, and the drop out rate is around 85%. The kids don't show up in class, because it's safer for them to be out all night long than to come in and sleep. When they show up it's hard for them to keep their attention on school. Professors looked simply overwhelmed.

It would be a HIPAA violation if a medical clinic or health provider revealed the pregnancy to someone not authorized to have the info. HIPAA applies to school nurses, so if it was a school nurse who revealed the pregnancy then yes but it isn't clear how the school personnel knew she was pregnant.

It well could be a FERPA violation though....

I'm not in the know on all of this (I'm working on it, seing as things at my job do fall under FERPA), but FERPA has gotten a lot less press than HIPPA--it's basically "HIPPA for schools"

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco ... index.html

If she had a late birthday, her folks could have held her back a year, or had no choice due to cut off dates. My daughter was born Sept. 2nd so she turned 6 right after starting kindergarten.

Also, these suits take time to file. She already had the baby - so my guess is this happened in the 2010-2011 school year when she was 14

I hope she wins her suit and the school employees involved in this little escapade lose their jobs. I can't fathom how scary it must be to be pregnant at 14. I had a scare when I was 17 and I was terrified.

Mrs S2004 wrote

I think jumping to the conclusion the girl was raped is silly,

O rly? Every state in the nation has age of consent laws. Do you think they're silly and should be repealed? Or are you just saying that statutory rape isn't "real" rape? Do you think there's any age at which an adult shouldn't be allowed to talk or bully a child into permitting the adult to use the child for sexual gratification? You can talk a five year old into a lot of things, but that doesn't make it okay. You can talk a ten year old into a lot of things, but that doesn't make it okay. So where do you draw the line? Do you think once a girl reaches puberty, that makes her fair game for predatory adults? I think there are excellent reasons to classify adult/child sex as rape.

Mrs S2004 wrote

O rly? Every state in the nation has age of consent laws. Do you think they're silly and should be repealed? Or are you just saying that statutory rape isn't "real" rape? Do you think there's any age at which an adult shouldn't be allowed to talk or bully a child into permitting the adult to use the child for sexual gratification? You can talk a five year old into a lot of things, but that doesn't make it okay. You can talk a ten year old into a lot of things, but that doesn't make it okay. So where do you draw the line? Do you think once a girl reaches puberty, that makes her fair game for predatory adults? I think there are excellent reasons to classify adult/child sex as rape.

I didn't see this comment before, but I hope it doesn't imply what it seems to. Unless the father of this baby is also an under-aged child, then this was rape. I don't care if she said "yes" a million times. At 14 her "yes" means nothing. She doesn't have the ability to consent.

But nobody said it was an adult to impregnated her, did they? If it happened when she was 13, it probably was someone older. But if she was 15, I can buy that just as likely could be another 15 yo.

My 16 yo niece got pregnant with a 15 year old boy.

eta riffle.

Residential schools in Canada were shut down years ago and resulted in landmark lawsuits and an eventually an apology from government. The idea that these schools still exist and are run publicly in the US shocks me.

Hope the girl wins the suit. This is a public school, not a religious one, and they have no business outing or shaming a student. Her health is a private matter and not something to be used to set an example, but rather a concern (indeed, was she intimate with another teen or an adult, was she offered counselling and prenatal care etc - those are what the school should be concerned with) I know, lots of riffles but I haven't had my coffee yet...

Mrs S2004 wrote

And if the father is also underage does that mean she also gets charged with rape?

And if the father is also underage does that mean she also gets charged with rape?

If the ages are reversed you mean? Hell yes. I don't care if you're male or female. If you are messing around with someone underage your ass belongs under the effing jail.

You do agree, don't you, that if the father is not a minor he should be charged?

CanadianHippie said:

Hello . . . did you read my original comment? The statutory rape law takes relative age into account. If those involved are both minors and are not more than four years apart, the act is not defined as rape. Although it still may be, if coercion is involved. My comment was not gender-specific, nor is the law. An adult woman who rapes a boy is a rapist. But that's not what happened here, so I think your comment is a bit of a derail.

But nobody said it was an adult to impregnated her, did they? If it happened when she was 13, it probably was someone older. But if she was 15, I can buy that just as likely could be another 15 yo.

My 16 yo niece got pregnant with a 15 year old boy.

eta riffle.

No, but we were saying there is a good chance it fit within statutory rape. Hence the word MAY.

Good old double standards, once again the girl is punished but the father of the child gets away scott free. It takes two people to make a baby.

Good old double standards, once again the girl is punished but the father of the child gets away scott free. It takes two people to make a baby.

:text-bravo:

Mrs S2004 wrote

Age of consent in New Mexico is 17. If the partner is at least 4 years older then the girl then it will be considered rape. Its always considered rape if the girl is under the age of 13. So, this girl may fall into a gray area if the incident happened close to her 13th birthday. Its also considered rape if the partner had authority over the girl, or coerced her into have sex.

http://ageofconsent.com/newmexico.htm

:clap: This. If the father of the child is 18 and over, he belongs in jail on statutory rape charges, and put on the sex offender registry. This is not some 18 year old sleeping with his 17 year old girlfriend and her parents freaking out enough to press charges.

If the ages are reversed you mean? Hell yes. I don't care if you're male or female. If you are messing around with someone underage your ass belongs under the effing jail.

No, I mean if he is underage too. Not all teen sex is one adult and one child. Sometimes it's just a couple of 14 year olds messing around.

Just curious when it was decided the father has to be an adult. I'm not seeing his age mentioned anywhere.

Just curious when it was decided the father has to be an adult. I'm not seeing his age mentioned anywhere.

Where did we say he "has" to be an adult. All I've seen is speculating. Maybe I misread or missed it...

You do agree, don't you, that if the father is not a minor he should be charged?

I think if the father is outside of the close in age boundaries then he should be charges. But we have no clue if that is even the case.

AFAIK It hasn't been mentioned. In terms of the age question, if I recall my high school law class correctly, the age of consent is 14 IF the other party is also a minor. But that's here in Canada. I'm not sure what the restrictions are in various states.

I think if the father is outside of the close in age boundaries then he should be charges. But we have no clue if that is even the case.

That's what we're saying. People are speculating. No one is suggesting putting another child in jail :roll: No one said "The father was an adult". They are merely saying that there's a good chance he might be, and if that's the case, appropriate charges should be filed.

Maybe people need to stop speculating about rape. It's not something to be tossed around lightly.

Archived