IGNORED

pray the death away

doggie

Man the PNW is getting so many of these pray the death away fools. yes a burst appendix seems like the flue sure it does.

OKANOGAN, Wash. (AP) - A Carlton, Wash., couple have entered not guilty pleas to second-degree murder charges in the 2009 death of their teenage son, who died despite family members' efforts to heal him through prayer.

The Wenatchee World reports (http://is.gd/Ilb05U ) that 48-year-old Gregory Swezey and 46-year-old Garnet Swezey were released without bail Monday after hearing the charges against them. Trial is set for May 1 in the death of their 17-year-old son, Zachary.

Okanogan County Superior Court charging documents say the couple belong to the Church of the First Born, which believes in faith healing. The boy died of a ruptured appendix on March 18, 2009, after falling ill several days earlier. His parents told investigators they thought he had the flu.

The couple's lawyers entered the pleas on their behalf.

Prosecutor Karl Sloan has said faith is not a reason for failing to seek medical attention for your children.

What's interesting here is they didn't say they were trying to pray away a deadly condition. They thought he had the flu, and it's not against the law to not go to the doctor for general flu symptoms. I wonder what his systems were and if they were mild and then he suddenly died, or if he was in ultra severe pain (not everyone has severe oh-my-god pain with this) and they didn't go to the doctor despite that. Just this one time I'm reserving my judgement until I hear more about the boy's symptoms an their severity. If he was in severe pain or had darkening under his skin and they still didn't go in, then they're evil. If his symptoms were mild, then I'll think different.

You know there are a lot of churches that believe in faith healing... But also know how to in to the doctor for illness.

No they wanted it to be the flue. the boy was in agony and suffered greatly. I remember when another 16 year old died it was only the flue if I remember right.

When I was in 8th grade a classmate's sister had the same symptoms as others in the community with a gastroenteral virus going around: abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, and diarrhea. She died because she had appendicitis, not the bug going around. No one was charged, it wasn't even mentioned as an option. It was very unfortunate but it wasn't anyone's fault.

I'd need to know more of what this young man's symptoms were, before I blame the parents.

The problem with that, NurseNell, is that this church has a history of these things happening; they wouldn't have taken him to a doctor no matter what his symptoms were.

ETA: "We should have gone to the ER sooner" is in a whole different universe from "Who needs doctors? We will pray! And whatever happens is God's will!" Not comparable at all in my mind.

The problem with that, NurseNell, is that this church has a history of these things happening; they wouldn't have taken him to a doctor no matter what his symptoms were.

yes that's the thing. no doctors at all so they hope it is not bad. Plus they don't believe they did anything wrong it is gods will. They would do the same thing again.

I had a student insist that she WOULD come to school with appendicitis. She really wanted to go on our field trip- part way through the trip I made her call her mom, who came and got her. She had surgery later that night. Some kids can hide it well.

But in this case, I don't buy that they didn't know anything was wrong. The church has a history.

yes that's the thing. no doctors at all so they hope it is not bad. Plus they don't believe they did anything wrong it is gods will. They would do the same thing again.

Then they should be held responsible.

Archived