IGNORED

Tornadoes Could Have Been Stopped If People Had Prayed

doggie

SO if people sucked up to god more he would not have let anyone die? SO god was not praised enough so he was mean and killed people? what a wonderful god he is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 21686.html

Pat Robertson Tornadoes

Pat Robertson has a theory for why tornadoes ripped through the Midwest last week: People didn't pray enough.

Right Wing Watch found a clip of the television evangelist making the claim during an episode of "The 700 Club."

"If enough people were praying [God] would’ve intervened, you could pray, Jesus stilled the storm, you can still storms,†Robertson said on the show.

Robertson also blamed people for living in tornado-prone areas.

"Why did you build houses where tornadoes were apt to happen?†he asked.

As Right Wing Watch noted, Robertson had a different take on why the 2010 Haiti earthquake happened.

That natural disaster was caused, according to Robertson, because of a pact Haitians made with the devil.

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said on Christian Broadcasting Network's "The 700 Club." "They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal."

It's interesting that God always sends tornadoes to the Bible Belt. My section of the country never has tornadoes. I guess God likes us best!

Why did you build houses where tornadoes were apt to happen?†he asked.

Natural disasters happen everywhere.

There is no love in Pat's words. While other people, Christian or not, try to help those who have lost loved ones and their homes, Pat gets to sit in his crazy chair and tell them what they did wrong. Believe it or not, bad things sometimes just happen.

It's interesting that God always sends tornadoes to the Bible Belt. My section of the country never has tornadoes. I guess God likes us best!

Yeah, up in the godless liberal northeast we rarely ever get tornadoes (we had some warnings when Irene came through), only get bad hurricanes every decade or so, almost never get earthquakes (although we did get some reverberations from that one in Godly, pro-life Virginia). The worst we get are some snow storms, which are a pain in the neck and halt everything and destroy the roads, and maybe take out electricity, but rarely destroy the structural integrity etc. of our buildings.

Seriously, in the 18-21 years I've lived in New Jersey (18 living there full time, 3.5 years living their part time since I've been in college) the only time I remember any of the above occurring was during the week of Irene when we had a terrible hurricane, tornado warnings, and an earthquake in one week, and Hurricane Floyd when I was like 9 which by the time it got to us was a Tropical Storm, although it did mean we couldn't drink from our taps for like a week.

God must love us.

ETA: I think natural disasters are horrible and random and are nobody's fault. Just to clarify. Although I do think that we are partially bringing this freaky weather on ourselves by fucking with our planet's atmosphere. But no one event can be attributed to climate change. Just the general trend.

I always point this out to people as well. Us liberal Vermonters must be alright. I talked to a pastor about this and she said basically that natural disasters are random and because you were spared that means God wants you to help others who were not. Makes sense to me.

Yeah, up in the godless liberal northeast we rarely ever get tornadoes (we had some warnings when Irene came through), only get bad hurricanes every decade or so, almost never get earthquakes (although we did get some reverberations from that one in Godly, pro-life Virginia). The worst we get are some snow storms, which are a pain in the neck and halt everything and destroy the roads, and maybe take out electricity, but rarely destroy the structural integrity etc. of our buildings.

Seriously, in the 18-21 years I've lived in New Jersey (18 living there full time, 3.5 years living their part time since I've been in college) the only time I remember any of the above occurring was during the week of Irene when we had a terrible hurricane, tornado warnings, and an earthquake in one week, and Hurricane Floyd when I was like 9 which by the time it got to us was a Tropical Storm, although it did mean we couldn't drink from our taps for like a week.

God must love us.

ETA: I think natural disasters are horrible and random and are nobody's fault. Just to clarify. Although I do think that we are partially bringing this freaky weather on ourselves by fucking with our planet's atmosphere. But no one event can be attributed to climate change. Just the general trend.

I don't mean to contradict what you wrote but I'm a couple of states north of you, and 2011 was one of the worst years for weather here. We were bombarded with terrible, life-changing weather events last year. Several feet of snow early in the year that stuck around for months; a hurricane that for some, petered out, but for others, washed their homes away, flooded basements, and caused millions and millions of dollars in damage; followed by a freak Halloween snow storm (more than a foot and a half for some people) that affected 60 millions people, crippling my state, kept us in the dark for seven days, destroyed millions of trees and took months for some families to recover.

Bad weather is not punishment from God. If you believe the story of Noah, it was the last time that God would punish man with weather events.

What (bad) weather IS, is a a result of global climate changes and variable local elements (barometric pressure, moisture/humidity, temperature, wind speed, wind direction, angle/height of the sun, moon phases, latitude, elevation, landforms (hills/mountains/valleys) and sometimes man-made effects (like pollution) that come together to create the predictable or expected weather patterns.

Pray for your safety from such events, but I personally think that if it's your time to go, it will be your time. For the woman in the video we saw, I think that it just wasn't her time. Whether God intervened or not, I can't say. But I absolutely do not believe that those injured or killed from natural disasters we being punished and that the "good people" were saved because they were so "good".

(Note to say that I do pray, but I do not believe that I can change major events. If it's my time to go, it will happen, no matter what I do.)

I think when Mr. Robertson dies and meets his maker, he is going to get a lot of angry corrections. Maybe followed by relocation to a warmer climate.

Neither does the UK. We get devastating earthquakes either. I guess god is pretty happy with us.

AW SHIT.

Now Virginia Beach and surrounding areas are going to get tornadoes. Everything he predicts or says was the result of a lack of prayer has a strange tendency to happen to Virginia Beach. Like that earthquake last summer. He predicted Orlando was going to get its ass kicked by hurricanes, it sat pretty while a hurricane went straight for Virginia Beach. I'd say he's the reason shit happens in Virginia Beach.

Pattyboy is too damn stupid to realize what really causes tornadoes (and hurricanes, and earthquakes, and...) and how little God actually does. Like seriously dude, this ain't the fuckin' Middle Ages, it's twenty fuckin' twelve, nobody actually believes that God does any of that shit anymore.

Bad weather is not punishment from God. If you believe the story of Noah, it was the last time that God would punish man with weather events.

I thought he just promised that he won't wipe out the entire world again using a flood, not that he would never use weather to punish people.

http://bible.cc/genesis/9-11.htm

It doesn't say anything about other natural disasters, or floods that aren't at the same level of destruction.

AW SHIT.

Now Virginia Beach and surrounding areas are going to get tornadoes.

Patty better get down there and start praying or he is going to be responsible for them.

Guest Anonymous

Ok...I just watched the video. Pat seems to contradict himself. First he says God didn't send the storms. Then he said if enough people prayed God would have stopped them. So which is it? Make up your mind. As for people building houses in areas prone to natural disasters...really? Are you kidding me? Disasters occur all over the planet. Where would he like for us to move to....outer space? He really needs to STFU because he has not idea what he's talking about. If it wasn't for the fact that he has been spouting this crazy stuff for years, I would say he's senile.

WTH? Yeah... tornadoes happen everywhere. Goodness, last spring there was a town near me that was entirely demolished. I live in MS, and we're not exactly tornado central over here. It HAPPENS. That is a very callous thing to say.

Guest Anonymous
I live in MS, and we're not exactly tornado central over here.

Actually AL, MS, TN are part of what's called Dixie Alley. While there may not be as many tornadoes in Dixie Alley compared to the traditional Tornado Alley, there are some very scary statistics:

1) AL now leads the nation as the state with the most F5/EF5 tornadoes (the strongest) since 1950.

2) Dixie Alley in general has more tornado related deaths than traditional Tornado Alley.

3) Dixie Alley has more night-time tornadoes which leads to #2 above

4) Tornadoes in Dixie Alley are hard to see because they are fast moving, rain wrapped, and trees and hills obscure the view

5) Dixie Alley has more population densities (not bigger cities) than traditional Tornado Alley, which also leads to #2 above.

So, yeah, MS can be considered tornado central...just a different one.

WTH? Yeah... tornadoes happen everywhere. Goodness, last spring there was a town near me that was entirely demolished. I live in MS, and we're not exactly tornado central over here. It HAPPENS. That is a very callous thing to say.

They now happen with alarming frequency due to the warmer temps of the gulf waters. Naturally climate change isn' t real so it must be gawd punishing those southerners for not spending 4 days a week in church.

Guest Anonymous
They now happen with alarming frequency due to the warmer temps of the gulf waters.

Absolutely, the Gulf of Mexico was primed and ready. It wasn't "worked over" by tropical systems last summer or cold weather systems this winter. Plus we've had a La Nina 2 years in a row. Some also believe that the TX dought has played a role as well. It appears Mother Nature picked up where she left off last year and earlier than normal.

That reminds me a bit of that Iranian Mullah who claimed that an earthquake could have been prevented if women had covered up more.

To disprove this, "Boobquake" took place where women wore "immodest" tops to find out if that increased seismic activity. Guess what, it didn't.

Why doesn't a town call itself "anti-tornado prayer testing area" and tries to get some empiric evidence? Obviously, it couldn't be a town in an area that is never hit by tornadoes. You'd have short mandatory "anti-tornado" prayer time three times a day plus public anti-tornado prayer meetings after Sunday church. You'd keep this up for two years or so and then compare with a deliberately godless place whose inhabitants would deliberately NOT pray for god's protection.

In either town the scheme might help the tourist industry, too! What's not to like?

Unfortunately, no amount of prayer seems to stop stupidity. Pat needs to crack a book and read about the Just World hypothesis. I wish he'd get a tornado right up his poop chute. He is a dried-up sack of puke, completely lacking in compassion and humanity.

Heh, "boobquake."

"Why did you build houses where tornadoes were apt to happen?†he asked.

Because property is more affordable there, and because the non-tornado-prone areas are full of godless heathens? Funny how that works. I live in an area full of non-Christians, and I don't think there's ever been a tornado here. Maybe god's striking the bible belt because he's pissed off at the people there who claim to be Christians but are full of hate.

Archived