IGNORED

"A Sea of BEAUTIFUL Confederate Flags.." Friends of Duggars

IReallyAmHopewell

Srsly. Yet if you talk to the Confederate apologists, they insist the war had to do with States' Rights, not slavery. They must think we're ignorant. The one States' Right that any one cared about was the rigth to permit the ownership of fellow human beings. I don't know why they don't see that argument as a classic eye-roller.

It did have to do with state's rights. The Southern stately dubious right to not abide by the majority rule of the Northern states which included an opposition to slavery.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily think that if someone has an ancestor who fought for the confederacy that they ought to be ashamed. You weren't naturally more ethical or morally righteous depending on where you happened to be born. The Civil War was bought in the backyards of many; the reasons for signing up were varied. I wouldn't be proud of it, but to me it's not much different than if you have an ancestor who was a colonial landowner who owned slaves, or a great-uncle who was part of the Hitler youth, even. History isn't always pretty, but it happened, and what matters is that we learn from it.

EDIT: Anyway, that blog post is pretty well horrifying regardless, because talk about NOT learning from the past. Also, for doing a "music ministry" they should at least know that a "chord" is a set of notes and your "vocal cords" are what you use when you sing.

Agh, these guys make my blood boil. Some of my ancestors were mixed-race Union supporters in Arkansas who got burned out of their home and had to walk 150 miles to Fort Smith, Arkansas in the dead of winter. I'm not super thrilled about these people who love the "war of the lost cause."

I do know someone who is a Civil War re-enactor. His group has cannons and they regularly go to re-enactments and play Union soldiers. I've learned a lot about the Civil War from him. Protip: Hardtack (a type of bread) is evil.

When I read about these people, it makes me think of James Loewen when he said that the American Civil War is the only exception to the adage that "winners write the history books."

When I read about these people, it makes me think of James Loewen when he said that the American Civil War is the only exception to the adage that "winners write the history books."

Yeah, in this case the winners got on with their lives instead of remaining stuck in the past.

It did have to do with state's rights. The Southern stately dubious right to not abide by the majority rule of the Northern states which included an opposition to slavery.

Yes, but that is my point. The only States' right they gave a rat's ass about was slavery. States' rights = rights of their white residents to own another person. :roll:

ETA color. I am just not getting my ideas across without it.

ETA again because I am unable to edit without interrupting my previous train of thought.

Also, for doing a "music ministry" they should at least know that a "chord" is a set of notes and your "vocal cords" are what you use when you sing.

Maybe it's the Confederate spelling. ;)

I never understand people glorifying racism, slavery, a brutal war, and a plan to overthrow/secede from one's government.

Sad thing I learned about the abolition movement: it was controversial among many Northerners, too, because they feared that the loss of free slave labor would drive prices up. Seems lots of people have always voted with their wallets.

Didn't see the flags but a photo about halfway down this page

Theneelyteam.com/2012/01/27/if-we-walk-in-the-light-we-have-fellowship-one-with-another/

Karate in skirts?! Not silk robes like the old samurai, but denim skirts?

What will they think of, next...

The post is gone.

Yeah. I left the comment with a quote from the VP of the Confederacy which proved that the whole thing was just a paean to racism. That might have embarrassed them enough to delete the post.

The Germans have a word, backpfeifengesicht, which means "a face badly in need of a fist." This blog is badly in need of a fist, or at least some well worded comments from people who aren't living in Konfederate La La Land.

REALLY?!?

I'm not American - who is the portrait of?

Perhaps they are watching too much "Gone with the Wind" and not enough "Roots".

I live in the South. Some of my friends participate in Civil War re-enactment battles (full set uniforms and all), but I can easily say that they would never want to have slavery legalized again. These people make me very uncomfortable, because they use religion (erroneously) to promote a way of life (pre-Civil War times) that never was perfect. They probably really want life to go back to that time.

I think they are watching too much "Gone with the Wind" and not enough of "Glory". I watched both movies on TCM a few weeks ago and greatly preferred watching the latter over the former.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(1989_film)

Something off topic : Is anyone else annoyed by the placement of smilies on the middle of sentences in some of her posts?

Didn't see the flags but a photo about halfway down this page

Theneelyteam.com/2012/01/27/if-we-walk-in-the-light-we-have-fellowship-one-with-another/

Karate in skirts?! Not silk robes like the old samurai, but denim skirts?

What will they think of, next...

And sneakers! :lol:

Even when we got locked out of the dojo and had to practice in the parking lot, we practised barefoot. And I'm wondering how they can kick with those skirts. It's kind of sad since women tend to have more lower body strength than upper body strength as it is a big disadvantage. Maybe that's the idea...

Well, technically it was "States' RIghts." For the longest time, the decision about whether or not to allow slavery was an issue left to the states. During the war itself, states' rights had to be respected, which included sending escaped slaves back to their masters, even though the northern troops hated doing that.

The South had no respect for states rights of free states that didn't want to aid & abet slaveholders, kidnappers, and others who came over the border to capture runaways (and free blacks accused of being runaways). They only wanted respect for the rights of slaveholders and slave states, not a universal standard of states rights.

Guest Anonymous
Are Confederate flags still in use in the South? I thought the flag would be seen as racist, or is it part of the Southern Culture?

Yes to all of that.

I've never heard of a "Confederate Rally"

It's a celebration of Confederate heritage. Those who participate aren't necessarily racists, but quite a few are.

I actually know for sure that I have an ancestor who fought for the losing side in the Civil War.

I can one up you on that one. I have Union ancestor and a Confederate ancestor who both fought at the Battle of Shiloh.

This Confederate nostalgia makes no sense to me. Do these people want to be Americans or not? No one in my family is from the South, so forgive me for not understanding any of this.

Southern pride, lingering resentment over the way the South was treated during Reconstruction, and hatred over the way the South is portrayed in the media, books, tv, and film.

As to the reasons for the Civil War....there are many. Some of which existed well before the Revolutionary War. It's a combination of states rights, slavery, and the stark contrast between North and South during the industrial revolution.

As to the reasons for the Civil War....there are many. Some of which existed well before the Revolutionary War. It's a combination of states rights, slavery, and the stark contrast between North and South during the industrial revolution.

True. As much as I like saying that the only states right that Southerners cared about was slavery, it's true that the reasons for the war are more complicated than that. If it was just about slavery than why did the border south (Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, Kentucky) stay in the union? And why didn't Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee secede until after the firing on Fort Sumter? Obviously slavery played a huge role, but those who say that slavery was not involved and those who say that slavery was the only thing the war was about are wrong. The more you learn about the Civil War the less clear cut the reasons for the war was.

However, on the note, of people at Confederacy pride events or whatever not being racist. Anybody who has pride in the Confederacy is either hella racist or hella ignorant.

Alexander Stephens, the Vice President of the Confederacy said, "Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

The Confederacy was proud of its racism. And anybody who supports it should know that that is what they are supporting.

It looks like the post and photos are gone. Or am I blind? :geek: I left a comment yesterday and didn't think it would get approved so I went to check just now and I can't find the original blog entry.

Guest Anonymous
Anybody who has pride in the Confederacy is either hella racist or hella ignorant.

It's a little of both, but mainly ignorance

The more you learn about the Civil War the less clear cut the reasons for the war was.

Exactly!

The Confederacy was proud of its racism. And anybody who supports it should know that that is what they are supporting.

I agree! You can argue with people down here until you're blue in the face, and they still won't believe you.

It looks like the post and photos are gone. Or am I blind? :geek: I left a comment yesterday and didn't think it would get approved so I went to check just now and I can't find the original blog entry.

Yes, on my Google reader it shows up as password protected. Happily Google already cached it, so you can still see the original version (with the Kendalled Konfederacy title) if you search for it. Funny enough, it doesn't show any comments at all. I'd like to think that it was pulled not just because of outraged "haters" commenting, but that even some of their own people were at least a little appalled, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. :roll:

It never fails to amaze me that 150 years after the Civil War many people in the south still chew on it like a dog on a bone. Talk about your sore losers. Daniel Emmett is supposed to have said he regretted writing 'Dixie' after it became the southern 'national anthem.'

Anyone have a ball park figure on just how many southern Christian conservative Gothardite families there are? Talk about uninformed, I never heard of ATI or Gothard until the Duggars came on the scene. Now, they seem to have popped up everywhere.

Guest Anonymous

Today, I think most of the resentment comes from the way working class and poor Southerners are portrayed in the media/books/movies. We are portrayed as ass backwards, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, redneck hillbillies. And I have to say I agree with my fellow Southerners to an extent. It's almost biased in way. I mean do you see any other region of the country portrayed in a derogatory as often as the South is?

Today, I think most of the resentment comes from the way working class and poor Southerners are portrayed in the media/books/movies. We are portrayed as ass backwards, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, redneck hillbillies. And I have to say I agree with my fellow Southerners to an extent. It's almost biased in way. I mean do you see any other region of the country portrayed in a derogatory as often as the South is?

I have heard this excuse a lot for being nationalist/racist. And it never stops being wrong.

Archived