IGNORED

Seven Sisters on pinterest - racist or just weird?

terranova

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it is the SS. In this case I am going with weird,naive girls. I can see them being drawn to different culture and finding it attractive as they love to travel and they want to travel everywhere.

Weird and sort of creepy. They're collecting pictures of little asian babies....why???

Ask them! They will totally answer you,I have e-mailed them before. :dance:

I agree with the weird, naive girls thing. Also I hope they're not confusing Japanese/Korean kids with Chinese kids :/

I agree with the weird, naive girls thing. Also I hope they're not confusing Japanese/Korean kids with Chinese kids :/

Yeah I'm pretty sure not all those kids are Chinese.

Weird, sheltered, and totally naive is my take.

I've occasionally heard white Americans remark that babies and children of certain racial/ethnic groups--including Chinese--are "the cutest!" And that may be why the 7Ss have pinned those photos. If there's racism there, it's the unexamined warm-fuzzy kind, in which people from other groups are idealized and objectified. They're cute things to look at; sort of like dolls or baby animals. There's no malicious intent, but also no consideration that these are actual people, not just cute things for you to squee over (or possibly even acquire for yourself).

I'm a little surprised to see the pic of the older girl eating noodles amid all the babies and littles, but overall the set it what I expected. Adorable, nonthreatening kids to coo over, with no adults present, and nothing that shows any real interest in Chinese history, culture, or society.

Mega-weird! I hope someone e-mails and asks.

Anyone else notice their "Places to Eat" board filled with scrumptious plates from Chik-Fil-A, Starbucks, and Smoothie King, among other award-winning establishments? :lol:

So these good Xtian girls just scour the internet and steal photos of cute Asian children and post them to their pinterest? I think something is sooo not right with them. Its a total WTF for me.

Maybe their parents are talking about adopting....

...at which point they can put up a blog about their cute little eggrolls? :roll: (can't help it, it reminded me...)

Add me to the WTF list. There's the WTF about wanting to collect pictures like that, then the WTF at not realizing that you will come off kinda creepy for doing it.

Also if you click on pics and enlarge them, then mouse over the bigger pictures, you can see where they were linked from, and some are from poverty sites, so yeah I think someone was surfing around some "poor kids situation in various countries" reading.

Mega-weird! I hope someone e-mails and asks.

Anyone else notice their "Places to Eat" board filled with scrumptious plates from Chik-Fil-A, Starbucks, and Smoothie King, among other award-winning establishments? :lol:

They also seem to reeeaaaallllyyyy like s'mores (looking at their recipe board)

Well, this is creepy to be sure. And certainly ignorant, especially as half those kids aren't even Chinese. I mean, the one is holding origami...ORIGAMI.

I will admit, this might have been something I would have done as a child. I've always had an obsession with China and all things Chinese, which later served me well as it lead me to educate myself, learn Chinese, and live in China.

I think the really scary and sad thing here is that these girls clearly have the intellectual maturity of children, when most of them should be approaching or already at adulthood. Talk about arrested development.

Creepy.

Sure the kids are cute but yeah collecting a bunch of Asian girls photos. Are they 100% sure all those girls are Chinese anyway?

Anyone planning on reporting it? Do you know how for some reason it's creeping me way out.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was creepy. I was starting to think I might be projecting FJ onto everything I see!

Third - do you mean reporting it to pinterest? I think although it's creepy it's not against the TOU is it? I mean, the photos are on public websites.

While the girls look cute, I have that weird creepy vibe from it. It looks like Asian fetishising.

This

And even if it isn't it will still get hits from the pervs.

Well, it is the SS. In this case I am going with weird,naive girls. I can see them being drawn to different culture and finding it attractive as they love to travel and they want to travel everywhere.

I read this as referring to the Nazi SS, and thought "yeah, if they're linking to SS stuff on Pintrest, I'm pretty sure we don't need to ask if it's racist."

But yeah, it's most incredibly culturally insensitive and shallow, at worst racist.

IMHO, it's exoticising east Asian children. Just note how many of them are dressed in traditional clothing or engaging in traditional or perceived traditional activities

I follow the Seven Sisters on pinterest and noticed they have an interesting board - http://pinterest.com/7farmgirls/chinese/

I can't decide if this is racist or weird or just naive girls being interested in cute kids.

Naive, even infantile. Being 'interested' in cute children, well that isn't so weird, but for a bunch of sisters their age, collecting pictures of Asian babies is just sad.

I am leaning towards naive, and maybe they are hoping Mom will adopt a Chinese child, obviously girl in this case. I mean the fact they are checking poverty sites, might also mean they might do a charity where you sponsor a child. From other people their age I would find this super odd, but at their surpressed ages, I would think nothing of a very young child idealising another culture in this way. Damn these girls need some real world experience, if anything happens to their parents, they would have to go live with the Amish or something so they didn't curl up in balls and die in the real world.

So these good Xtian girls just scour the internet and steal photos of cute Asian children and post them to their pinterest? I think something is sooo not right with them. Its a total WTF for me.

I am betting that they heard a story about all the "missing" Chinese girls (that were presumably aborted by their parents) and wanted to show people how cute the kids are (naively thinking this will make couples keep them or want to adopt) and/or they want to adopt themselves.

Or you could have written the subject like this:

Seven Sisters on pinterest - racist and weird or very racist and weird?

Nah, I agree they're just naive, but it is undeniably creepy.

Weird, sheltered, and totally naive is my take.

I've occasionally heard white Americans remark that babies and children of certain racial/ethnic groups--including Chinese--are "the cutest!" And that may be why the 7Ss have pinned those photos. If there's racism there, it's the unexamined warm-fuzzy kind, in which people from other groups are idealized and objectified. They're cute things to look at; sort of like dolls or baby animals. There's no malicious intent, but also no consideration that these are actual people, not just cute things for you to squee over (or possibly even acquire for yourself).

I'm a little surprised to see the pic of the older girl eating noodles amid all the babies and littles, but overall the set it what I expected. Adorable, nonthreatening kids to coo over, with no adults present, and nothing that shows any real interest in Chinese history, culture, or society.

Exactly. I don't think there is malicious intent, but it's still racist ... "collecting" babies based on their presumed race.

Archived