FJismyheadship

To be fair, the fact that there is a camera crew in the middle of the restaurant does make them a bit of a spectacle, but the whole praying in public thing always rubs me the wrong way, not because they are praying, but because instead of being discreet, they turn it into a "look at us, we're PRAYING!" situation. Just another example of how they have to constantly show that they are different, and better than, "other families".

I'm pretty sure there's a verse in the Bible about praying out loud in public and making a spectacle of yourself... :naughty:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, I wasn't sure if I was misremembering. But there was something about that that rubbed me the wrong way when I watched.

J-Watcher, is your name Diane, by chance? What do you get out of trying to defend the Duggars to death? You do realize we're not going to fall for it, right?

To be fair, the fact that there is a camera crew in the middle of the restaurant does make them a bit of a spectacle, but the whole praying in public thing always rubs me the wrong way, not because they are praying, but because instead of being discreet, they turn it into a "look at us, we're PRAYING!" situation. Just another example of how they have to constantly show that they are different, and better than, "other families".

This is so true! I hate when people make a big deal about "look at us praying!"

I waited tables in HS on Sunday mornings. The same family would come in every Sunday for lunch and would request me to be there server. After months, of waiting on them, I came up to there table. And I had no clue they were praying?! The grandfather stopped and included me in their prayer thoughts. I though it was really nice of them.

But the point is, prayer shouldn't be a "performance." Which I feel the Duggars make a point to pray in public as a performance. Its not really genuine.

J-Watcher, is your name Diane, by chance? What do you get out of trying to defend the Duggars to death? You do realize we're not going to fall for it, right?

Bingo and you just won the internetz today :lol: The queen of duggar apologists has found her way to the hive.

He just reminds me of an ordinary, decent nice redneck guy who lives in his Carhart jacket and baseball cap, always has chains in the back of his pickup truck and never fails to stop and help a lady stuck in a ditch. Kind of guy who won't even take a case of beer in payment. Let's face it the squeakiest wheel is the one that gets heard in that house. He and Joseph are just typical of the strong quiet type guy who goes to work, brings home his check, plays with the kids and spends the evening glued to the tv with his wife beside him. Nothing evil.

Aw, me too. I don't think for a second it's realistic to expect all 19 kids to grow up uber-fundy. They will likely all be more conservative that the mainstream, but I don't think they'll all go off the deep end. And statistically, 2 of them are likely to be gay. I don't think all of them would be happy in the strict fundy lifestyle, especially if some are gay (and likely some are). Boob seems the type who'll offer help while preaching at you. These particular kids seems the type who'll help and bid you a good day with a tip if their hats.

What JD said was "I think praying in public has kind of gotten lost in our culture". It sounded more like an observation than snark to me.

I agree. Smuggar is the one who started in on how people just don't like admitting there's a higher power. JD just made the comment that people just don't pray in public much anymore. Christians are still the majority in America, yet few pray. If he had followed his comment by saying what Josh did, than that would be a different story.

Archived