FJismyheadship

I've always meant to make a thread about this but I guess I'll ask here- why do we like John David? I've seen many people here say they prefer him because "X" (nicer, doesn't seem as fundie, seems likely to break away from the fundie pack)

The thing is- why do we think those things about him? The only thing I can think of is that he's quiet and that, in the absense of a in-your-face-fundie attitude like Josh had, people think he's less extreme. However, I've never seen any actual proof to back up that he's any better or less fundie than his father or brother. Especially once that crazy-ass picture of him with the gun came out.

Is there some proof I missed or are people just assuming he's these things without anything to back it up?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always meant to make a thread about this but I guess I'll ask here- why do we like John David? I've seen many people here say they prefer him because "X" (nicer, doesn't seem as fundie, seems likely to break away from the fundie pack)

The thing is- why do we think those things about him? The only thing I can think of is that he's quiet and that, in the absense of a in-your-face-fundie attitude like Josh had, people think he's less extreme. However, I've never seen any actual proof to back up that he's any better or less fundie than his father or brother. Especially once that crazy-ass picture of him with the gun came out.

Is there some proof I missed or are people just assuming he's these things without anything to back it up?

Yeah, agreed.

Next to his smarmy older brother and his babbling idiot father, JD comes out looking fairly moderate. If he talked more, we might feel different; but in the absence of contrary evidence he seems borderline normal.

I don't know if JD is any less fundie, but he clearly has a stronger work ethic than Josh.

I personally prefer him to Josh because he's a doer, not a talker.

I always thought JD would do well in the military, but it looks like he'll never get that opportunity.

Based on the distance, I think $400 seems a bit fair. JD seems ok to me. He is probably the only older Duggar kid that could make it on his own away from Boob.

At least he didn't say sure, show up and THEN say "Oh yeah, we charge XX fee for "'out-of-area" towing and we'll need a deposit of X amount."

I imagine someone else works there when he's filming--Michelle does have a sister nearby, so maybe a cousin or someone from Josh's lot.

John David and I think it's Joseph - both seem quiet but not too bad. I cannot see them personally becoming these overbearing Gothard type men. They don't seem to have it in them. While I don't doubt they will expect what they will expect [wife stay home, birth lots of babies] I can't see them forcing their wives to live in an unfinished house for 10 years or refuse to 'allow' her to get a mixer. Then again as they say it's always the quiet ones...

Too bad that in both families none of the girls will be able to pursue a career in that sort of area if they desired. Shows what a "nice" family they really are. Girls can only do what Daddy and Gothard approve of.

Yeah, this is what I mean. Did any of the girls get sent over to fix the leak at that rent house? Nope, it was the boys.

And don't even get me started on that "trading" episode. If I remember correctly (although it has been years) Smuggar was over helping teach the girls. I guess he's too good to make tater tot casserole! It was only the young boys who helped make the meal.

As far as working on cars, my daughter wouldn't want to change a tire either--but she'd love to build a ship out of legos (the opposite of fun for me) or design her own bridge out of toothpicks. I don't see that happening for the Duggar girls.

For me it is nothing to do with him being less fundie. It's that sense of entitlement that Smuggar walks around with that annoys the fuck out of me. JD doesn't seem as lazy, but that could be editing. He is quieter, which means he's not as likely to reveal whatever sexist/fundie beliefs he holds. However, it could be a very different picture when the cameras are turned off. My ex had a horrible temper, but is so quiet in public that people never wanted to believe it--after years, only 1 of my relatives has seen him "go off."

Anyway, he doesn't seem like a lazy POS?

I seem to remember the Duggar girls doing all the tile setting and cutting at the Bates house.

I think its because he is not acting like an ass when the cameras are rolling or on the internet. He also looks like he tends to shy away from the attention that Josh craves. Compared to Josh, he looks modest and hard working.

John David and I think it's Joseph - both seem quiet but not too bad. I cannot see them personally becoming these overbearing Gothard type men. They don't seem to have it in them. While I don't doubt they will expect what they will expect [wife stay home, birth lots of babies] I can't see them forcing their wives to live in an unfinished house for 10 years or refuse to 'allow' her to get a mixer. Then again as they say it's always the quiet ones...

How the hell would you know that? They are so very rarely featured on the show that's there's absolutely know way to know what their personalities are like (and frankly, it is difficult to tell what any of the Duggar's actually personalities are because it's reality TV.)

I think it's really thick to assume that the quiet Duggars have any less horrifying beliefs than the loud ones. They might not be quite so smarmy, but that doesn't mean the wouldn't be any less fundie and bad.

I'll always remember that ep. when they lived in Little Rock for Josie, and Joseph +JD stayed behind in the big house.

In february the oldest girls came back to pick up some supplies and the christmas decorations were still up, 2 moths after! Let,s not forget the moldy onion and oranges in a bowl on the counter that Jill threw away!

When asked why they didn't take care of that, Jessa replied:"they're boys, they can't think of this stuff!"

The boy I have the best hopes for is Josiah. Yeah, Joe and JD have good work ethics in their field, but outside of it? Naw.

I'll always remember that ep. when they lived in Little Rock for Josie, and Joseph +JD stayed behind in the big house.

In february the oldest girls came back to pick up some supplies and the christmas decorations were still up, 2 moths after! Let,s not forget the moldy onion and oranges in a bowl on the counter that Jill threw away!

When asked why they didn't take care of that, Jessa replied:"they're boys, they can't think of this stuff!"

The boy I have the best hopes for is Josiah. Yeah, Joe and JD have good work ethics in their field, but outside of it? Naw.

Yeah, I don't know what was worse, the boys being that pathetically lazy or Jessa's pathetic excuse for them. Basically, "they have penises so of course they can't throw out the rotting fruits and vegetables sitting under their noses".

I wouldn't have much faith that any male coming out that environment is going to be any less of a misogynist than Jim Bob or Josh. He'd have to prove to me otherwise, and since John and Joe don't say much, it's impossible to get a read on them.

Josiah seems to have a baby in his arms more often than not these days. What up with that?

that crazy-ass picture of him with the gun came out

Sadly there are folks like that all over the place where I live--atheists, Christians, you name it--gun nuts.

$400 for 225 miles isn't high at all. For a local tow, he can do several in a day. That's 450 miles round trip. That's about 8 hours of driving, gas for both ways, not having the ability to heat up lunch in a microwave meaning he'd be eating out, 8 hours of wear and tear on the truck. That's about 15% of an oil change (going every 3,000 miles). Factoring out that overhead plus a share of the month's insurance, he'll probably pocket $200 for the day, all things considered. $25 an hour isn't chump change, even with taxes, but the bitch about self-employment is that there may be days where he has just one or two local tows, or even none. So that $25 or so an hour will average out to less considering the days with little or no income at all.

Sadly there are folks like that all over the place where I live--atheists, Christians, you name it--gun nuts.

It's not the gun itself that worries me (well, given Gothard & QF's paramilitary focus on conquering the country via "soldiers for God", maybe it worries me a little) as much as the total disregard for gun safety displayed in the picture.

This is why I will never let my AAA lapse. It costs $75 to be towed 10 miles or less here. As the slogan goes, "Sooner or later, you'll break down and call AAA."

I always thought that maybe John David was gay and that is why he keeps a quieter profile. He doesn't want anyone to know his secret.

I always thought that maybe John David was gay and that is why he keeps a quieter profile. He doesn't want anyone to know his secret.

I tend to think he has Aspergers and is just socially shy.

This is why I will never let my AAA lapse. It costs $75 to be towed 10 miles or less here. As the slogan goes, "Sooner or later, you'll break down and call AAA."

No joke. We got a flat in the parking lot of a football stadium as it was clearing out after the game. It was 4:00 on Father's Day and we had another party to attend. Even WITH AAA, in a big city, it took them 2 hours to get a truck out to us in the (by them totally abandoned) lot. But hey, it was FREE!

No joke. We got a flat in the parking lot of a football stadium as it was clearing out after the game. It was 4:00 on Father's Day and we had another party to attend. Even WITH AAA, in a big city, it took them 2 hours to get a truck out to us in the (by them totally abandoned) lot. But hey, it was FREE!

We have the next package up. $100 a year, and covers 100 miles for towing.

I've always gotten the feeling he's gay, but that he probably doesn't realize it yet. Time will tell.

I tend to think he has Aspergers and is just socially shy.

I think he just does not want to be on television.

I'd venture he might be shy but I think anything beyond that (certainly anything dealing with his idealogy) is just idle speculation. For all people say they don't think he's as fundie as his brother and father- there's no proof. It was pointed out that he and Joseph didn't do anything around the house when they were left alone. I've also never seen him try to help any of his sisters with any of their "women's work" or try to make things easier for them. Granted, he does seem to be slightly less lazy than his brother but his towing work is not featured on the show as much as Josh's car lot is. He could be just as lazy as Josh (he certainly seems to be when it comes to doing things around the house) but we just don't see it.

All in all, not wanting to be on camera does not make someone a good person. Neither does not being lazy. I’ve known many hard-working people who were horrible human beings.

Archived