IGNORED

The Chair- a new punishment?

homeschoolmomma1

Hi Everyone- I am back- moving is not fun and neither is waiting for the Charter guy (personally don't like Charter- rip off)

I was trying to find a video or the episode- I apologize I don't have it But did you see that Michelle now teachers the 'little ones' on a chair to 'be still'?

Is this the new blanket training? It made me mad. Let the poor kid run and play

Michelle is a ridiculous baby breeder. She has WAY too many kids, and then gives them no attention or structure.

Super Nanny uses chairs.

Not having seen how Michelle does it, I have no clue how it's like time outs or different in some way.

If I have kids I might do a chair or some other time out if they misbehave. But I wonder, do they really just ask their kids to sit there or in reality to do they hit and beat them if they move? Also, sitting as a punishment is one thing. Making your child sit like a dog just because, is quite another.

Our boys had to sit on the bottom step to "thoughtfully consider" their actions if misbehaving (i.e., mercilessly torturing each other) when they were young. They sat on the step for one minute per year of age. This was an effective technique for us, particuarly between about age 3-7 and similar to what I've seen Super Nanny use the few times I've seen her show.

How is what Michelle does different (assuming it is)?

Our boys had to sit on the bottom step to "thoughtfully consider" their actions if misbehaving (i.e., mercilessly torturing each other) when they were young. They sat on the step for one minute per year of age. This was an effective technique for us, particuarly between about age 3-7 and similar to what I've seen Super Nanny use the few times I've seen her show.

How is what Michelle does different (assuming it is)?

Michelle uses it to teach the children how to sit quietly for hours at a time, not useing it as a time out but as a training tool.

I tried the time out chair, then the chair facing the corner. Didn't work. we used time outs of having to go to your room and laydown on your bed for a few minutes. Most of the time the wild little boy would be fast asleep in less than 3 minutes. I found that almost but not every time, my sons were wild, naughty or the like was when they were tired or coming down with something. I will not discipline a tired or sick child.

Michelle uses it to teach the children how to sit quietly for hours at a time, not useing it as a time out but as a training tool.

I tried the time out chair, then the chair facing the corner. Didn't work. we used time outs of having to go to your room and laydown on your bed for a few minutes. Most of the time the wild little boy would be fast asleep in less than 3 minutes. I found that almost but not every time, my sons were wild, naughty or the like was when they were tired or coming down with something. I will not discipline a tired or sick child.

I really found it effective when they were being aggressively physical with each other, I think because it took the "offender" out of the situation for a couple of minutes and since small children have short attention spans, the incident would be over and done with by the time the kitchen timer buzzed. That's the main type of behavior we used it for. Kids are all different and what works for some won't work for others, that's for sure!

Having children, of any age, sit for hours is unproductive and just wrong, not to mention rather cruel. It reminds me of the scene from the Jane Eyre movie when she's in the orphanage and she has to stand on the chair for hours and hours on end as punishment.

So she actually, really, truly, not speculatively has her children sitting on chairs for no reason for hours and hours?

The things I miss, not having cable.

So, is this chair thing a punishment or just something the Duggars do to their kids for no reason?

I can see it as punishment for young children. My parents actually used to make us sit in front of a clock for punishment and we couldn't get up until a certain time. I don't want to know what it says about me that I learned how to tell time at a much younger age than the other kids.

We've seen Michelle use "chair time" on Jackson in an earlier episode...in one of the first couple of seasons I think. I think it was a punishment of some sort, but I don't remember if he actually did something "wrong" or was just running around like crazy and she wanted him to be still.

They say more about their child training methods in the first book. That is where they admit to using blanket training on their infants and toddlers, not as a punishment but simply as a way to get them to stay still when ordered. I'm assuming the chair training takes over when the kid is really too big to just be sitting on a blanket. They also talk about the "obedience game", where they ask their children to do random things like pick up a piece of paper, take it over to the stairs and then bring it back to the table. It's written in a very laughing manner, like it's just so cute and funny that their kids will do anything they're told (immediately, without question and with a pleasant attitude) even if it serves absolutely no purpose.

Vitafamiliae uses this, too, and on toddlers. They have to sit quietly on chairs, with no talking and nothing to do, for an hour or more. If they make a peep, she quietly says, "Mama says 'hush,'" and hits them with her "correction tool"--which I believe is some kind of flexible little stick.

Once, when I was in sixth grade, my mother punished me (and I have no recollection of what I'd done wrong--I was the "good one" in my family) by making me sit on a chair in the kitchen for an entire day. I still get sick thinking about it--and I never, ever used that kind of time-out on my own child.

Vitafamiliae uses this, too, and on toddlers. They have to sit quietly on chairs, with no talking and nothing to do, for an hour or more. If they make a peep, she quietly says, "Mama says 'hush,'" and hits them with her "correction tool"--which I believe is some kind of flexible little stick.

Once, when I was in sixth grade, my mother punished me (and I have no recollection of what I'd done wrong--I was the "good one" in my family) by making me sit on a chair in the kitchen for an entire day. I still get sick thinking about it--and I never, ever used that kind of time-out on my own child.

Frankly, someone needs to whack that chick from the Vita blog with a correction tool and tell her to "Hush."

I guess it's a "logical" progression from blanket training, but I don't get it. It's just easy to let the child "help" you or give them a toy or two and let them play nearby, and that seems much better for them than forcing them to sit in a chair with nothing to do.

Then again, one of the things I remember hating about daycare was being made to sit in a time-out chair that had a latch-on tray like a high chair so you couldn't get out. It probably wasn't for very long, but it seemed like a long time.

This is vitafam's version of "sit time":

http://www.vitafamiliaeDOTcom/?p=1567

I believe I have posted on it before. I find it beyond sad and disturbing. I am assuming Michelle is doing something like this....or rather having the sister moms do it.

My yes, I remember this post from the old board. I had forgotten how much I dislike this women. I think someone should sit her in a chair for 30 min, with nothing to do and use the "tool of correction" when she fidgets or speaks.

So she actually, really, truly, not speculatively has her children sitting on chairs for no reason for hours and hours?

The things I miss, not having cable.

Chair time (or sitting at the kitchen table or counter time...wherever she or a sister-mom can see them depending on what they're doing at the time) is typically a short period of time. The example she used on the show had a dining room chair in the middle of the room between the table and the Duggar Diner where Michelle instructed him to sit and be quiet. She claims the amount of time depends on the kid, but I got the impression for someone Jackson's age it's only about five minutes. At any rate (and this was all on camera), the second Michelle turned away, Jackson slid off the chair, between the slats on the other side.

I've seen kids bellying up to the bar by the kitchen sink, but not sure if that's "chair time" or "stay where I can see you while I make your lunch" time. They crawl around on that counter so often it's hard to tell if the latter is true and, like the howler monkeys they are, end up crawling all over the granite counters after being instructed to sit on the stools.

My yes, I remember this post from the old board. I had forgotten how much I dislike this women. I think someone should sit her in a chair for 30 min, with nothing to do and use the "tool of correction" when she fidgets or speaks.

Or hit her with it every time she whines about how hard her life is with sooo many young children. She is up there as one of my least favorite fundies.

Or hit her with it every time she whines about how hard her life is with sooo many young children. She is up there as one of my least favorite fundies.

ifd1t1.gif

Okay, so I am new here and this is the first time I have gone to this blog. That photo of the little girl crying because her mommy hit her with a stick for not being silent just tore me up!!

Purposely making a child cry is sick. Talk about control freaks. I wish someone would hit her with a stick every time she posts something this sad.

Okay, so I am new here and this is the first time I have gone to this blog. That photo of the little girl crying because her mommy hit her with a stick for not being silent just tore me up!!

Purposely making a child cry is sick. Talk about control freaks. I wish someone would hit her with a stick every time she posts something this sad.

Purposely making a child cry is sick. Posting a picture of it on the internet is vile. Taking pride in it makes you soulless.

Purposely making a child cry is sick. Posting a picture of it on the internet is vile. Taking pride in it makes you soulless.

Yeah, but remember how important it is, when you go to a family-integrated church, to make your toddlers sit quietly and pay attention to hours of sermonizing! If they don't, it means you're a Bad Mother! Forget all that modern, liberal humanist noise about age-appropriate behavior and expectations! :eusa-naughty:

Archived