IGNORED

Woman Prays Away Tornado

doggie

Well, my X-mother-in-law firmly believes that our area (SE Virginia) hasn't been hit with a big hurricane in about forever because Pat Robertson is here and he prays that they will go down in size!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is the same clip I saw/heard on the news earlier today, the woman was definitely "speaking in tongues" in the early part. I figured that was why it got picked to be aired, because it was extra-bizarre.

Guest Anonymous

This strikes a nerve with me. I can understand praying while riding out the storm. I did that many times on 4/27/11. If any sane person saw what I did that day, they wouldn't brag about God saving them. People were hurt and killed that day. It's incredibly selfish to brag about how God spared you when your neighbors are dead, injured, and lost everything they owned.

The problem is that she didn't pray away a tornado but a funnel cloud.

Uh, that 'funnel cloud' went on a few seconds later to become an F3 tornado that killed five people and ripped that crazy ladies' county apart.

Worse than that, the town she lives in got hit by another tornado not 48 hours before.

I'm not saying she's not crazy. I spent that entire night in my basement with a weather radio, wondering if that was the time to bring the cats inside regardless of the dogs not liking cats. It was a very scary night. The sirens went off for hours and I thought my very substantial brick house was in trouble at several points.

That said, why the hell wasn't she inside, hiding in a bath tub? There's praying and then there's being blatantly stupid and flaunting the common sense skills "god" gave her.

No matter how crazy she is, that was a serious storm to try to proselytize.

Guest Anonymous
Funnel clouds are fucking terrifying to see.

THIS! Every time I hear some storm chaser boast how beautiful they are, I just want to kick his ass into it!

I totally agree with this. I cannot believe she went to the media. How completely oblivious and insensitive can she be? Instead of praying for those who lost their homes and lives and quietly thanking God for what she believes he did, she goes to the media to brag about how she's so special that God rescued her. It seems like the more fundy you become, the more self-obsessed and oblivious to the thoughts and feelings of others you become.

I think she got attention AFTER the fact. The was posted on the local news here.... a lot of tornado videos were posted. I think her video was picked for the large media because she was praying and speaking in tongues. I do not think she sent it to the media to pat herself on the back. I have a hard time with people's assumptions. I saw no one actually in the video claiming God saved her and only her... she was merely praying, in her own way... that's her choice. This kind of shit really pisses me off, a lot.

I have been following the local news coverage regarding the tornadoes (I live near Cincinnati, thankfully my area was not hit). I have heard one story of a whole family killed, (mother, father, and 3 children all under 3), another story of a woman who was hospitalized after the tornado that ripped her 4 year old child from her arms, and yet more stories of lives lost. So to this woman I say Fuck You! Try praying for these people, instead of only yourself. :angry-cussing:

Well, my X-mother-in-law firmly believes that our area (SE Virginia) hasn't been hit with a big hurricane in about forever because Pat Robertson is here and he prays that they will go down in size!

"about forever"? Irene only went through there about what, 6 months ago? :?

I live near SE Virginia (go to college far away from there though), I hate it when Pat Robertson pretends he's a meteorologist. Size has surprisingly little to do with the intensity of a hurricane- Irene was actually fairly small as far as hurricanes go, but tell someone living along the NC coast that Irene was "just a little thing."

I've watched a lot of this disaster coverage, and many survivors have talked about praying while their house blew up around them. I dare this dingbat to brag about her Godly weather prowess face to face with one of these people. She can tell them why her prayers got answered instead of theirs.

Did she do this? I don't care if she prayed--but if she's saying "God answered my prayers, I survived with all my stuff because I'm a better Christian than you" type of crap then that's a WHOLE different story.

We have tornado footage from 2003 that destroyed 17 homes in our tiny little town. Yes, we sent the stills in to our local media. I know the sirens had gone off a total of three times that day and honestly, I wasn't paying attention anymore. I was more interested in our 17 year old foster son and the argument he was having with his g/f. She had a tendency to be physical with him. They were in her car in the front yard, I looked out to see him making a strange face, turning to look out the window, and then a horrified look on his face. The initial strange look was when he saw our neighbors running down the street because they don't have a basement.

I started yelling TORNADO and my husband thought I was overreacting until the kids that were outside came in the house and said they saw the neighbor. The girlfriend lived right in the path of the tornado and wanted to go home and got mad at me when I made her stay. She called her mom, who confirmed to stay put at our house. I got the kids in the basement, and started looking for the camera. Husband said: Screw the camera, where's the video camera?

Yeah, I prayed. I prayed we'd be spared, and I prayed that no one else would be hurt. I got a little sick to my stomach when it touched down and you could see debris pulled up into the funnel. I'm glad it wasn't us, but I was also sorry others had to suffer. Thankfully, no one was even injured despite it being the middle of the day on a weekend. Seventeen homes were destroyed and one pet was injured. The dog was seen by witnesses being sucked out of a bedroom window. Later, the owner said he would NOT go back into any bedroom ever, when it once was his favorite spot.

One of the weirdest things for me is how you can hear birds in the background of the video.

Did she do this? I don't care if she prayed--but if she's saying "God answered my prayers, I survived with all my stuff because I'm a better Christian than you" type of crap then that's a WHOLE different story.

We have tornado footage from 2003 that destroyed 17 homes in our tiny little town. Yes, we sent the stills in to our local media. I sirens had gone off a total of three times that day and honestly, I wasn't paying attention anymore. I was more interested in our 17 year old foster son and the argument he was having with his g/f. She had a tendency to be physical with him. They were in her car in the front yard, I looked out to see him making a strange face, turning to look out the window, and then a horrified look on his face. The initial strange look was when he saw our neighbors running down the street because they don't have a basement.

I started yelling TORNADO and my husband thought I was overreacting until the kids that were outside came in the house and said they saw the neighbor. The girlfriend lived right in the path of the tornado and wanted to go home and got made when I made her stay. She called her mom, who confirmed to stay put. I got the kids in the basement, and started looking for the camera. Husband said: Screw the camera, where's the video camera?

Yeah, I prayed. I prayed we'd be spared, and I prayed that no one else would be hurt. I got a little sick to my stomach when it touched down and you could see debris pulled up into the funnel. I'm glad it wasn't us, but I was also sorry others had to suffer. Thankfully, no one was even injured despite it being the middle of the day on a weekend. Seventeen homes were destroyed and one pet was injured. The dog was seen by witnesses being sucked out of a bedroom window. Later, the owner said he would NOT go back into any bedroom ever, when it once was his favorite spot.

One of the weirdest things for me is how you can hear birds in the background of the video.

Not that I'm aware of. It's been on the news here as a local video of the funnel cloud/tornadoes in the area. I've yet to see her anywhere, nor have I even really seen her identified. Her praying is not the focus of the video, but it became the focus when the larger media outlets picked it up.

If someone has proof she's been out touting, feel free to correct me and send links. I've not seen it, and I'm in the area.

Guest Anonymous

Ok after watching the video for myself, apparently news sites saw the video and did a short write up. I don't think she was ever interviewed. She was only praying (sometimes in tongues). So, I take back most of what I said before about the bragging. Having said that, I think this lady is crazy...not for praying, but for staying outside and watching the funnel. That monster could have touched down at any time, and it could have killed her! If I'm not mistaken it did touchdown in West Liberty, KY.

Who says their prayers werent answered? They survived, theyre homes were torn to pieces around them and they lived to tell about it. Everyone has to die at some point, why is it Gods fault when it's a natural disaster? Humans activities have been shown to contribute to increasingly violent weather so why is it that our destruction is to blame because God didnt stop it?

What about all the people that prayed and got killed or lost their homes and/or loved ones anyway? Not good enough Christians or good enough at praying? That's the implication, and it's why some people have such a problem with stuff like this. I'm sure you heard about the less than 2 year old girl who was found alive outside after her home was destroyed and her whole family was killed, then died from her injuries the next day. A neighbor had gone over there to try to get them to come to his home for safety when it hit - the last thing they were doing was huddling in the hallway together praying. Stuff like that is why it comes across as prideful and insensitive when some people are all like "sorry your family died or you lost everything, but God heard my prayers, because it usually comes across as claiming God's favoritism".

Also, I don't recall anyone blaming the weather on God, but it makes more sense to blame a natural disaster on God, since he controls nature and the weather, than it does to credit one random person's prayers for changing the course of a storm or deciding where it will hit. Sometimes shit just happens, and it happens to Christians and non-Christians alike. I think the Bible says it "the rain falls on the just and the unjust", but people often forget that goes for bad as well as good.

Yes, considering God is all powerful and created everything, then he also created tornados and has the power to stop his own creation - if he wants to. None of these praying people seem to consider that praying to the one who sent the disaster in the first place is like praying to your kidnapper that he not kidnap you. That makes no sense. If God is responsible for it, why? What purpose could a tornado serve other than destruction (I'm speaking theologically here, not in an evolutionary way)? Yet people thank God for saving them. WTF. So then if a serial killer kills everyone on your block but you, do you then pray thanks to him for sparing your life?

Nothing wrong with praying, which it seems was what she was doing. Good for her that she's fine, but lots of people who also prayed are not fine. She wasn't claiming to pray away the tornado, so I'll apologize and take my outrage elsewhere.

OK, I read the radaronline story without looking at the video, and to me it was written in a way to imply this woman thought she had prayed the tornado away from her and who cares if those around her died.

I've now looked at the video, and I apologize for coming to that conclusion.

She was praying, but she did not seek media attention and it sure didn't appear that she was indifferent to anyone else. I sort of admire the courage it had to take to pray OUTSIDE. If it were me, I'd either be running or in the basement assuming the best position to kiss my sorry ass goodbye. There is a lot to be said for facing your death on your feet.

My first close encounter with a funnel cloud was off Lido Beach. A friends mom had taken he and I there. It's an Island, with only one way off. The twister was headed for the beach. People were running and screaming, like something out of a horror movie. His mom remained cool and calm, got us to the car (not that there was anywhere to go). The thing just went back up into the sky before it hit the beach.

My second funnel cloud was when hubbie and I were crossing Courtney Campbell Causeway (sp?) up in Tampa. We were stuck on the bridge, watching the thing off to the side. Luckily it went away.

Am hoping I don't have a third (though have had close encounters with tornado's, including seeing one cross the road ahead of me when I was a teen)

THIS! Every time I hear some storm chaser boast how beautiful they are, I just want to kick his ass into it!

Something deadly can still be visually beautiful. The damage they cause isn't, but the storm itself can be. I love the look of big waves, but they can kill people, and that's not nice. Thunder storms can kill, yet many people think they are beautiful. Not the death, just the visual look of the storm.

Guest Anonymous

How many tornadoes have you lived through? There is nothing visually beautiful about them. Now of course storm documentaries make them look beautiful with some creative editing. Up close and personal they are not visually beautiful at all.

I'm an atheist. I have never been hit by a tornado or lightning.

Buit remember, if a tragedy hits a Xtian there "is always a reason" Does the fact that sometimes shit just happens scare these people? What is it with just accepting the fact that bad stuff happens to everyone at some time or another and that's life?

The funny part, longskirtlotsakids, is that I find the idea of shit just happening to be somehow a lot more comforting than believing things happen for a reason. And I have seen my share, having my dad die suddenly when I was seventeen. If I thought that Somebody had made that happen for a reason I'd be furious. As it is, shit happens. Doesn't make it less shitty but at least it wasn't deliberately inflicted on me.

This is SO COOL!

I will pray for God to remove my cellulite! If he can steer a tornado, surely he will be able to get rid of a few bulges on my thighs!

:whistle:

Guest Anonymous

Bad things happen to everyone, and yes they can be scary. You would be scared too if you saw a tornado and it's aftermath, religious or not.

How many tornadoes have you lived through? There is nothing visually beautiful about them. Now of course storm documentaries make them look beautiful with some creative editing. Up close and personal they are not visually beautiful at all.

I have lived through tornadoes. They are visually, beautiful. What they do isn't beautiful, but the storms themselves are awe inspiring. They are a mindless thing. There is no intent in the destruction they wreck. That doesn't mean we can't admire the powerful natural force they represent.

Just after the tornado hit my town last week, people were posting on FB that God is good. I was really confused. If God is in control of the weather, and God just sent a tornado through that killed six and flattened hundreds of buildings, how is that good? Do people who say things like that LIKE to be abused or something? I really don't understand. And yes, if I were in the path of that storm, I would be praying for God to spare me, my son, and my boyfriend. These people had seconds between the siren and the tornado; a little bit of selfishness in that regard would be completely understandable. But to claim that God specially spared you? Nonsense. Sometimes it just comes down to where you happened to land after being sucked into it. Some were fortunate; others were not. Some will be dealing with injuries for a long time, while some will be able to rebuild their homes and lives quickly.

I am also a tiny bit bothered by the t-shirts someone has made as a fundraiser for local storm victims. They say "I survived." I do not consider myself a survivor; I was safe in my house a number of blocks from the damage. And it seems insensitive towards the people who did not survive. There is nothing more "special" about being a survivor than being a victim. I'm not trying to be insensitive to what those directly impacted are dealing with now, at all. They need help and support. And I am truly, truly glad that they did survive. But those of us who were not in the path of the tornado? It doesn't help anyone to be so patronizing. Support can be silent, and often is better that way.

Just after the tornado hit my town last week, people were posting on FB that God is good. I was really confused. If God is in control of the weather, and God just sent a tornado through that killed six and flattened hundreds of buildings, how is that good? Do people who say things like that LIKE to be abused or something? I really don't understand.

I think people who have invested so much in their faith in a benevolent god simply cannot make themselves recognize things that makes god look less benevolent. I can see how it works - if I felt very dependent on a god that's supposed to love and care for me, I'd rather not realize that this god MUST be responsible for a whole lot of awfulness because that would really shake up my sense of security.

Archived