IGNORED

Anna at PVS reselling target crap.

Kelya

blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=16182378&postID=1076947056985410373

If I was ever going to pay 15 dollars for dishtowels, I'd expect them to be handmade. Otherwise I'll just sew up old teeshirts or, like the commenter there said, go to Target's discount bins. While she doesn't say they're homemade, if it's on Etsy I generally expect it not to be bargain crap from Target, and I find it quite dishonest to not mention their origin. Makes me wonder if times are hard at the PVS that they're reselling Target junk.

eta: i shop at target, so i use their crap regularly, but i'm not buying it off etsy or pretending they're fabulous "utility cloths." its generally pretty low quality.

yes, it is against the rules to sell unaltered target crap

Now you can alter an item and make it acceptable. Adding some ricrac or something to a commercial towel would make it altered and allowable. although, I personally, wish people would be more creative than that.

My friend sells things on etsy which are hardly "vintage" or "handmade". A lot of things on there tick me off... especially when people try to rip off a "brand" like "Harry Potter Gryffindor hat!" That stuff is trademarked.

Isn't it against Etsy's rules to resell store bought crap?

Yes, but Etsy doesn't really care because they are getting their commission. The amount of resellers that make Etsy rich is disgraceful.

You mean Etsy isn't Mandarin for "cheap crap mass-produced just outside of Beijing"?

/end sarcasm

You mean Etsy isn't Mandarin for "cheap crap mass-produced just outside of Beijing"?

/end sarcasm

No, I'm pretty sure that's the exact translation. It just makes me sad for the truly talented artisans that sell there.

Well it seems either you all are telling tall tales about the dishclothes being from target or Ms. Anna's are on fire.

What? They're not purchased from Target, they're homemade. The large check is a salvaged tablecloth, and the red print with kitchen utensils is vintage yardage. The red floral is from fabric stash. Did you misunderstand my response to your first comment? I only meant that Target often chooses cute fabrics for their line.

It's really that bad? I only buy from one country (Slovenia) and from people I know IRL, so I must have missed the majority of the mass produced junk.

Oops, crossposted with LPL- apparently I (and someone else at her blog, too) didn't understand her explanation. She says they're handmade.

It's really that bad? I only buy from one country (Slovenia) and from people I know IRL, so I must have missed the majority of the mass produced junk.

Oops, crossposted with LPL- apparently I (and someone else at her blog, too) didn't understand her explanation. She says they're handmade.

Some how I doubt that they are homemade.

Some how I doubt that they are homemade.

They are.

But kids in Beijing or Taiwan. On the Etsy blog a few months ago there was a post defending mass-produced stuff because it's all made by hands somewhere. The cupcake who wrote it ignored the slave conditions, of course, while talking up the virtues of buying ribbon roses made by factory-working "artists".

Isn't it against Etsy's rules to resell store bought crap?

The last people to expect to follow Etsy's rules are the Etsy staff themselves. They even front-page it all the time. It's a very unethical company.

They are.

But kids in Beijing or Taiwan. On the Etsy blog a few months ago there was a post defending mass-produced stuff because it's all made by hands somewhere. The cupcake who wrote it ignored the slave conditions, of course, while talking up the virtues of buying ribbon roses made by factory-working "artists".

Word!!! x2

Did any of you all see the "depression-chic wedding" post they did, then quickly backtracked on? How hipsterriffic... poverty and starvation!!!

Word!!! x2

Did any of you all see the "depression-chic wedding" post they did, then quickly backtracked on? How hipsterriffic... poverty and starvation!!!

That was tragic. They cut up antique hand made quilts to make banners for the wedding. Who in their right mind would destroy a piece of art like that?!!!! :angry-screaming: :angry-banghead: There are people on etsy who sell handmade fabric banners. They could have saved a lot of money and avoid defacing art by buying them. They then got upset when people pointed out that paying $10,000 for a wedding is not frugal.

I know it sounds bitchy, but the bride and groom were also extremely well-padded... definitely not fitting their theme of "starving hoboes".

This is all I could think of

zkOBAEa9wn8

Once again, I wish I'd kept the link. I actually read a press release of a fashion line (I think it was Australian) that basically was derelicte.

The last people to expect to follow Etsy's rules are the Etsy staff themselves. They even front-page it all the time. It's a very unethical company.

So Etsy is the hipster version of Wal-Mart.

So Etsy is the hipster version of Wal-Mart.

Except Walmart doesn't go for hand-wringing very-serious hypocritical mission statements. See below:

Our mission is to empower people to change the way the global economy works. We see a world in which very-very small businesses have much-much more sway in shaping the economy, local living economies are thriving everywhere, and people value authorship and provenance as much as price and convenience. We are bringing heart to commerce and making the world more fair, more sustainable, and more fun.

I have a very similar vintage tablecloth and napkins to the middle one. I haven't looked for kitchen towels at Target in a long time. (I have a ton of vintage ones, a few gift ones, and some I've made. I really don't need any) So I don't know if a reproduction was made or not.

Archived