IGNORED

Josh and Anna's DVD collection

QAF_Rocks

Thanks for posting the picture!

I agree. I don't think they would proudly display secular movies. If they do have them, they must be tucked away somewhere. I can see them watching a little basic cable, maybe Fox News or Animal Planet, but I can't imagine them watching most regular shows. PBS is probably of the devil, LOL.

I agree I can't see them watching most regular shows. I also don't see J&A subscribing to preminum cable channels like HBO, Starz, or Showtime.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imagine watching the two of them sex and the city, spartacus or true blood. way too defrauding for these folks!!

I think I see "Chained to the Chariot" and the green and white one looks like "The Pineapple Story". The two DVDs on the far right look like part of the Jim Sammons series. The 6th from Left might be a Way of the Master compilation. Third from left looks like "Identified".

I had to look those up. Wow, those are Institute in Basic Life Principles films, aka, only what Gothard wants.

I part of me shouldn't be surprised but, man, way to connect with any mainstream audience. I think a mainstream audience would really only know about Courageous and Fireproof because of the heavy advertising at Walmart (I saw a ton of ads for Courageous in the store).

Not that they care about courting an audience or ratings. Oh, wait...

I thought fundies boycotted Disney because of the ebil Gay Daze at the Disney parks?

The uber-fundies banned Disney long before then. They don't let their kids watch or read anything that involves magic. Some (I believe the Maxwells fall into this category) don't even approve of stories about talking animals. Romance (as opposed to parent-directed courship) is a central theme to nearly all Disney flicks. And there's usually some form of (((gasp))) dancing!

The uber-fundies banned Disney long before then. They don't let their kids watch or read anything that involves magic. Some (I believe the Maxwells fall into this category) don't even approve of stories about talking animals. Romance (as opposed to parent-directed courship) is a central theme to nearly all Disney flicks. And there's usually some form of (((gasp))) dancing!

Is Sleeping Beauty the only film to have a successful courtship? Aurora and Phillip are betrothed as children, they meet again as teenagers and fall in love. Or does that not meet their exact Daddy-approved standards?

5th one from the left looks like (this is SO unlikely) but it looks like "Saved!".

5th one from the left looks like (this is SO unlikely) but it looks like "Saved!".

Ha, it does! Oh man, imagine them actually watching that movie. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves. They'd probably see the whole film as being about heathens persecuting the oh-so-godly and noble Hilary Faye. :lol:

Is Sleeping Beauty the only film to have a successful courtship? Aurora and Phillip are betrothed as children, they meet again as teenagers and fall in love. Or does that not meet their exact Daddy-approved standards?

My fundie mom flipped her shit over Sleeping Beauty because the kings get drunk in it. Also, too much magic going on there.

My fundie mom flipped her shit over Sleeping Beauty because the kings get drunk in it. Also, too much magic going on there.

LOL. My fundy mom flipped her shit over all Disney movies because they hated nuclear families ( :roll: ).

Possibly a slight lack of knowledge on the fact that Disney didn't 'invent' the families portrayed in the classics she was referring to (i.e. re-tellings of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales from eons ago)?

Later (early or mid 1990s) I recall her then being quite outraged over the fact that Disney apparently hates families AND God, and that both those 'facts' were proven by the fact that Disney was writing secret subliminal messages in their new movies (Aladdin? Lion King? Little Mermaid? Not sure which...).

I was never allowed to watch Disney movies....my pastor preached on the evils of it frequently. One of his favorites was the "penis" on the cover of little mermaid.

The DVD that's lying down, I just compared it to my kiddo's copy of "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" and the text, colours (it's mostly blue with clouds) and uber-blurry images seem a pretty close match. Could be it. Kind of Dominionist, if you think about it - they went through dozens of cats and dogs to make the film. That's the only way I can think it's remotely fundie... Although there's the part where it shows the dogs and cats giving birth an then nursing while the male animals go find food, so maybe it's to prep M&M for their gender roles?

Later (early or mid 1990s) I recall her then being quite outraged over the fact that Disney apparently hates families AND God, and that both those 'facts' were proven by the fact that Disney was writing secret subliminal messages in their new movies (Aladdin? Lion King? Little Mermaid? Not sure which...).

Aladdin

p4piZV5wPrw

Lion King

disneysex.jpg-tm.jpg?w=230&h=350

Little Mermaid

littlemermaid-subliminal-22.jpg-tm.jpg?w=350&h=392

little-mermaid-priest-subliminal-messages.jpg-tm.jpg?w=400&h=258

My parents didn't see these things, and when someone pointed it out to them they thought it was stupid. The Lion King and The Little Mermaid were pretty much my favorite movies growing up. I wasn't allowed to see Aladdin because of the Genie/magic, nor was I allowed to see Sleeping Beauty (magic), Snow White (magic), Beauty and the Beast (beast = Satan, plus it apparently promoted bestiality), Pocahontas (something about the talking tree?), Hercules (false gods), or Mulan (talking to the dead/ancestor worship), as long as we're talking Disney movies. (Add in non-Disney movies like The Wizard of Oz for witchcraft and there were a lot of classics I wasn't allowed to see.) I never could understand why I could watch movies that had the same things that were reasons I couldn't watch others (Cinderella, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Mary Poppins all had magic, Little Mermaid had a witch, etc.) but I wasn't about to point this out to them and be told I couldn't watch anything but Veggie Tales. Really though, anything could make a movie "inappropriate". I seem to remember being told I couldn't watch movies or TV shows simply because my dad didn't like the attitude of one of the main characters or the parents were shown in too negative of a light.

I bet they'll be adding that new October Baby movie to the collection as soon as it comes out on DVD. I saw a preview of it when I went to see the new Tyler Perry movie and thought it was sickening, but my second thought was how much the fundies are going to love it.

My friend's born-again brother put his booted foot through his television ... oh, twelve years ago now because he caught his wife letting their sons watch "The Lion King" while he was supposed to be at work. Kids weren't supposed to be watching Disney movies because they "promote a lazy work ethic".

I don't see "Facing The Giants" in their collection...A clichéd-ridden football film about a bad team winning against all odds, thans to Jesus.

It was made by the same evangelical studio that produced the best movie ever made according to Jim-Bob("Fireproof"), "Flywheel' and "Courageous".

I saw parts of JB's fave film on youtube and it bored me to death. I'm not too difficult re: movies but everything in this one was downright laughable. I can't believe that it was the best selling independant film of 2010 in the US...And let's not forget that Kirk didn't kiss the actress who played his wife at the end (when they renew their vows), nope, it was his real wife Chelsea what's-her-name in silhouette instead. Gag me please...

They probably have a few "Life in the pond" or however it's called DVDs (the fundie cartoon they did voices for last year.) I mean their voices are in this, of course they prob. have it!

No "Blade Runner", "Godfather", "Cinema Paradiso", "Chinatown"...Sad.

Blade Runner

Josh has all the robot women he'll ever need.

ETA:

Chinatown

"She's my mother and my sister - she's both!"

Josh has all the robot women he'll ever need.

ETA:

"She's my mother and my sister - she's both!"

Good one!!! :clap: :mrgreen: :lol:

One of the movies, right over the baby's head looks like Shrek, which would probably break all sorts of fundie movie rules (magic, talking animals, pre-marriage romance).

I have said before that Josh is having his teenager years at last. No longer forced to dress like a 50 year old accountant or eat his statutory limit of 3 frozen burrios he's cut loose. Only the farthest of the far right cuts out ALL media--you know darned well they had to have given up on just "Creation" videos on the bus years ago!! Imagine bored howler monkeys. Now slip in a video. Yep, knew you'd like it better, too!!!

Ugh, of course. All Dogs Go to Heaven would be too... secular. Or something.

Also can't have the kiddies believing that animals go to an afterlife. :?

All Dogs go to Heaven--NO WAY! lol....aren't there evil people doing the voices! And pets become idols....ooops, I slipped into Steve Maxwell speak there.

"Cinema Paradiso"

Wonderful film. I sobbed, sobbed for the last 15-20 minutes. It was just so wrenching.

Archived