IGNORED

Susanna Keller single?

xReems

Strangely I tend to dislike chocolate cake, particularly the creamy stuff. I usually prefer cakes with fruits.

Then you would love my Grandma's Japanese Fruit Cake. The Pineapple Coconut icing is to die for! She actually makes a good regular fruitcake, but not the nasty grocery story kind. Once it has cooked and cooled, it's time to eat it. That in IMO makes it different than store bought fruitcakes. it doesn't sit around and cooked multiple times, and she doesn't use brandy or alcohol. She's 100% against alcohol in her home even for cooking.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Atlanta and there are a few cafes around here called Cafe Intermezzo and holy moly guacamole, they have an array of cakes for you to choose from! Probably, the best cakes you will ever get. Seriously. I'm craving them right now. Welp, I know where I am going tomorrow for lunch/dessert!

As for Susanna-she's young, she's allowed to make mistakes. I created this thread because I felt bad for her and her engagement being called off. I could care less how and why the break up occurred. I just felt for her and want her to find true happiness in her life. She's an adult who is allowed to make mistakes. If this crazy story is true, she is entitled to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, especially for someone who goes from an ultra conservative upbringing to a more liberal view.

When I saw the cake picture my first thought was did I click on the Josh's instgram thread? :lol: too used to seeing food pics there

Then you would love my Grandma's Japanese Fruit Cake. The Pineapple Coconut icing is to die for! She actually makes a good regular fruitcake, but not the nasty grocery story kind. Once it has cooked and cooled, it's time to eat it. That in IMO makes it different than store bought fruitcakes. it doesn't sit around and cooked multiple times, and she doesn't use brandy or alcohol. She's 100% against alcohol in her home even for cooking.

I don't really like coconut, but I'd try just coz your Grams made it :D And possibly the pineapple just balances it out :P Damn now I want cake!

One of the go to cake in France for no fancy baking is apple cake... mmm. love it! I made some last week actually! Now I'm craving cafoutis! argh... back to writing my papers and chewing carrots lol

My fav is Mama's chocolate cake with homemade fudge icing. It was to do die for. The recipe is a closely guarded family secret that I will not reveal.

Speaking of fruit, I love making peach cobblers. The recipe is simple. Melt butter in a large baking dish. Add large can of of sliced peaches (or slice fresh peaches that have set in sugar for a bit. For the batter mix 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk & 1 tsp vanilla extract and poor over fruit. Let it it cook for 1 hour at 250 degrees F. Is so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side....YUM, YUM!

Guest Anonymous
My fav is Mama's chocolate cake with homemade fudge icing. It was to do die for. The recipe is a closely guarded family secret that I will not reveal.

I hate it when people do this crap. It's so juvenile. Other people having a recipe makes it less special? Why even bring it up if you wouldn't want to share it? It's petty and annoying, not to mention mean-spirited.

I have a friend who is a pastry chef who has a nice method, though. If someone likes one of his recipes he will give it in exchange for one of theirs. Everyone wins, no one acts like a douchebag.

I hate it when people do this crap. It's so juvenile. Other people having a recipe makes it less special? Why even bring it up if you wouldn't want to share it? It's petty and annoying, not to mention mean-spirited.

I have a friend who is a pastry chef who has a nice method, though. If someone likes one of his recipes he will give it in exchange for one of theirs. Everyone wins, no one acts like a douchebag.

I know, it's not like it's a competition.

I do understand professional chefs not giving out recipes because of copyright, trade secret, and trademark Dilution

but the only ones who can afford professional chefs (by this I mean in good restaurants) are also the ones that won't cook for themselves. I am also wary of trademarks. It's food damnit! Can't we all just eat? In any case a good chef will know how to copy some other chef's technique and ingredients so the point is moot in terms of marketization.

Anyway, I think a family's secret in making food that is not marketed is silly at best.

but the only ones who can afford professional chefs (by this I mean in good restaurants) are also the ones that won't cook for themselves. I am also wary of trademarks. It's food damnit! Can't we all just eat? In any case a good chef will know how to copy some other chef's technique and ingredients so the point is moot in terms of marketization.

Anyway, I think a family's secret in making food that is not marketed is silly at best.

I have no idea what that means. But I still understand it. If they create a recipie and then give it away to everyone they can't prevent other people from using it to make money. (and if you copy technique and ingredients you actually can be in violation as well)

I actually think that food prep is one of the most interesting things about copyright, trademark and trade secrets.

Sorry, I was only joking because I thought this was just a way of derailing the original thread...I didn't mean it piss anyone off. The women in my family are not professional chefs...just good Southern cooks. Anway....

The cake is your basic Devil's food cake mix with a small box of chocolate instant pudding mix and 1 packet of hot cocoa mix (w/o marshmallows) and made according to the recipe on the box. Pour in the batter in 9-in cake pans (sprayed with Baker's Joy or some other cooking spray) & cook as usual. Now for Mama's fudge icing recipe, I'll need to find her her box of recipes. I know if involves sugar, Hershey's powdered Cocoa, canned milk (not the sweetened condensed kind), and butter is added after the mixture has been removed from the heat. It is then hand stirred until it is the consistency of cake icing, and has to be be spread quickly before it hardens. Anyway, I'll find the full recipe and post it...I promise.

One of my favorite desserts is taking a large can of drained crushed pineapple, 1 large container of large curd cottage cheeze, 1 large bowl of Cool Whip & 1 package of either cherry or orange jello mix. Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate overnight. DELICIOUS!

Grandma's Japanese Fruitcake & regular fruitcake recipes I'll have to get from her. I've never made them before.

That is just WRONG to post a picture of that chocolate cake without posting the recipe too.

Oh, I'm flattered (even though you've never met me) to think that I personally made that cake :oops: It's my favorite cake from a restaurant near me, so sadly I don't have the recipe or I'd give it out.

Onto the original convo, I really hope Susanna K is doing well, whether she is or is not single. I hope she doesn't get sucked into ATI again & I really wish her the best, and hope for an easy transition into the real world.

If anyone wants a very simple chocolate cake recipe, this one's pretty good - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cake-iii/Detail.aspx. Be warned, the batter is so thin it's like water, but they turn out SOOOO moist.

Here's the last batch I made (for Austin and luckylibrarian, as a matter of fact! Apparently there was a little cupcake wrapper licking going on. :D )

IMG-20120428-00708.jpg

I hate myself for snooping & posting, but apparently I lack self-restraint. Anyway, Susanna.s Google+ acount is public & her most recent post on April 30 shows her with a guy named Jonathan, who made a cake for her saying I (heart) U. plus.google.com/107005517854688268428#107005517854688268428/posts

She looks really good & still happy. I did notice that some of the Staddons & other fundies were listed on her inner circle though. Hopefully Jonathan is not a fundie.

Speaking of fruit, I love making peach cobblers. The recipe is simple. Melt butter in a large baking dish. Add large can of of sliced peaches (or slice fresh peaches that have set in sugar for a bit. For the batter mix 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk & 1 tsp vanilla extract and poor over fruit. Let it it cook for 1 hour at 250 degrees F. Is so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side....YUM, YUM!

That is how my grandmother made it. I cut down the sugar down to a half cup and add a little cinnamon. It is an easy recipe to remember because you want 1 of everything.

Nan used to put the fruit on top of the batter. The peaches sank to the bottom anyway. LOL I've experimented with other fruit also. It is good with blackberries and raspeberries too.

If anyone wants a very simple chocolate cake recipe, this one's pretty good - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cake-iii/Detail.aspx. Be warned, the batter is so thin it's like water, but they turn out SOOOO moist.

Here's the last batch I made (for Austin and luckylibrarian, as a matter of fact! Apparently there was a little cupcake wrapper licking going on. :D )

IMG-20120428-00708.jpg

They were amazing. There was almost an argument over who got the last one.

I hate myself for snooping & posting, but apparently I lack self-restraint. Anyway, Susanna.s Google+ acount is public & her most recent post on April 30 shows her with a guy named Jonathan, who made a cake for her saying I (heart) U. plus.google.com/107005517854688268428#107005517854688268428/posts

She looks really good & still happy. I did notice that some of the Staddons & other fundies were listed on her inner circle though. Hopefully Jonathan is not a fundie.

It looks like pancakes, not a cake. And he cooked for her--I doubt he's fundie. I wish her luck and hope she finds happiness, whether it is with this guy or with another.

They were amazing. There was almost an argument over who got the last one.

Lol, I bought some better boxes so next time I can fit a nice even number in there. :) I had WAY too many left over, I ended up having to throw them away. As good as they were, I can only eat so many before my scale starts chiding me. :naughty:

Archived