IGNORED

Another Wonderful Modesty Post

justlurking

So true, I totes watch White Collar for the plot.

I'm so tired of being told by these fundies what I can and can't wear because the male fundies apparently can't control themselves when they see female skin.

That's totally why I watch white collar too..uh huh..yea..that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My step mom was hugely into the whole modesty thing when I was growing up and I have such body issues now from it. She would have been in full agreement about the underwear shouldn't be seen but must be there thing. I wasn't allowed to wear spaghettis straps because my bra straps might show but when I suggested I just buy a strappless bra well omg then people might think I was going without a bra and only skanks would do such a horrendous thing!!!eleventy11! When in reality I have pretty big boobs and trust me, you could definitly not mistake a strapless bra for no bra because they'd be flapping in the wind braless.

I really want to go watch white collar now

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to break it to you girls...but Matt Bomer totally bats for the other team

Sure - but Neal Caffrey, con man extraordinaire, most clearly does not.

I hate to break it to you girls...but Matt Bomer totally bats for the other team

Married with 3 kids, I know. Doesn't stop me from finding him attractive tho. The boys are adorable, I believe they came with the husband.

...Because if he was straight, we'd actually have a shot at him. :roll: C'Mon, it's called fantasy for a reason.

I've decided that my views on modesty posts can be summed up as : :obscene-buttsmiley:

I call BS on the story about men at a resort tittering over tits at the doorway. I think that was his fantasy. Probably those guys were talking about something entirely unrelated, but he figured it had to be about boobies because that's the only thing he ever has on his mind.

Exactly what I thought!!!!!

My boyfriend really likes boobs (a lot), but even he can manage to look a woman in the eyes when he talks to her, no matter what sort of top she's wearing. He's capable of appreciating a woman's form without ogling her, just like I can appreciate a sexy man without ogling. If this woman's husband is so distracted and obsessed by breasts, he clearly needs help. That's just not normal. Most, well actually, every man I know is perfectly capable of functioning like a normal human being around a woman with a low cut top or who isn't wearing a bra. They might glance a bit, but they don't freak out.

a quick search on this nut turns up her husband works as an account manager for a company that does employee background checks. it terrifies me to no end that this man who is obviously a sexual pervert has access to people's private information. god forbid he had to do a background check on an immodestly dressed woman, he'd either send his wife over to shame her or just go over there on his own and rape her first.

So true, I totes watch White Collar for the plot.

I'm so tired of being told by these fundies what I can and can't wear because the male fundies apparently can't control themselves when they see female skin.

I watched the Tudors for the historical accuracy. ;)

I would not want to be married to man who had so little self control that a seeing a woman wearing fitted shirt shirt and low rise jeans sent him into a tizzy of wanton desire. Seriously, what kind of man is that?

I watched the Tudors for the historical accuracy. ;)

I would not want to be married to man who had so little self control that a seeing a woman wearing fitted shirt shirt and low rise jeans sent him into a tizzy of wanton desire. Seriously, what kind of man is that?

Oh, same here. Henry Cavill was very historically accurate. ;)

That site is a whole basket full of strange. Browse through at your peril. Especially love the article entitled, "Eating the Placenta: A Christian Worldview Perspective". I thought it must be a metaphor for some fundie spiritual practice --you know, a Vision Forum equivalent of "Jumping the Shark". But noooooo, it is serious and literal exploration of whether it is Biblical and Christian for a mother to eat the placenta. News to me, and I know a lot of wacky fundies. Maybe Frothy will weigh in on this during the Ohio primary.

There are some people (fundie and otherwise) who eat their placenta after birth in the belief that it helps reduce the risk of PPD and whatnot. Some cook them, others freeze dry them and make them into pills.

I figure that so long as they're not secretly serving it to me it's probably not my business. Lots of people do things and eat things I consider disgusting.

There are some people (fundie and otherwise) who eat their placenta after birth in the belief that it helps reduce the risk of PPD and whatnot. Some cook them, others freeze dry them and make them into pills.

I figure that so long as they're not secretly serving it to me it's probably not my business. Lots of people do things and eat things I consider disgusting.

Yeah, it seems to be a fundie/crunchy crossover thing like cloth diapers.

I don't get the instruction that underwear should not be seen (okay...) but that if you are wearing a bra, make it o-b-v-i-o-u-s because men don't know about "the different options for women" (like strapless bras or seamless bras?), so they'll just assume you aren't wearing one. So you need to make it clear that your undergarments should never be shown.... except it needs to be obvious you are wearing a bra. Huh?

I suppose your only option is to get a bra with really thick seaming that goes right over the nipple--the thick seaming not only keeps down nipple show, but makes it completely obvious you've got a bra on at all times. No smooth T-shirt bra for you!

Make sure the band is too big, so you constantly have to make (discreet) tugs to keep the straps up and (discreet) winces of pain as the underwires dig into your armpit. Bonus if you loudly whisper, "Oh my god, this bra is trying strangle me! Bra demon, I rebuke thee!"

Last but not least, twist one of those straps as you put the bra on. You'll never hide that under your Sunday dress!

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have anything nice to say to a woman who told me that my cleavage is offensive. God gave me these huge breasts, I'm just sharing his glory.

On the showing of underwear, I'm assuming then that granny VPL is mandatory? Honestly I was taught that a "nice" girl doesn't show her underwear and Clint and Stacy have drilled that message in. Gah, they hate underwear showing.

a quick search on this nut turns up her husband works as an account manager for a company that does employee background checks. it terrifies me to no end that this man who is obviously a sexual pervert has access to people's private information. god forbid he had to do a background check on an immodestly dressed woman, he'd either send his wife over to shame her or just go over there on his own and rape her first.

It scares me more that they have teenage daughters. With him being so obsessed with even the slightest shift in what a woman's breasts look like, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't consider regular development "defrauding".

I suppose your only option is to get a bra with really thick seaming that goes right over the nipple--the thick seaming not only keeps down nipple show, but makes it completely obvious you've got a bra on at all times. No smooth T-shirt bra for you!

Make sure the band is too big, so you constantly have to make (discreet) tugs to keep the straps up and (discreet) winces of pain as the underwires dig into your armpit. Bonus if you loudly whisper, "Oh my god, this bra is trying strangle me! Bra demon, I rebuke thee!"

Last but not least, twist one of those straps as you put the bra on. You'll never hide that under your Sunday dress!

But according to the Modesty Survey all those things are a stumbling block!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it seems to be a fundie/crunchy crossover thing like cloth diapers.

Oh! And homemade reusable ... feminine products. I was searching for patterns and biblicalscholarship.net came up! That's the lady who teaches with only the Bible and thinks the Sun goes around the Earth. I didn't visit her site, but maybe I should.

Oh! And homemade reusable ... feminine products. I was searching for patterns and biblicalscholarship.net came up! That's the lady who teaches with only the Bible and thinks the Sun goes around the Earth. I didn't visit her site, but maybe I should.

I think the Selfs (from Obeying The Truth/A Godly Maiden, ie my gateway fundies) use cloth sanitary towels lol. Reusable menstrual products can be awesome though, like menstrual cups. /closet crunchy

I think the Selfs (from Obeying The Truth/A Godly Maiden, ie my gateway fundies) use cloth sanitary towels lol. Reusable menstrual products can be awesome though, like menstrual cups. /closet crunchy

I'm making the transition on a recommendation from my doc (I can't use the cups. *sadface*). Making them this weekend

Geez... what about women with big breasts? We can wear a bra and still be noticed. I can't help it, they're just.. big? *sigh*

Now, I do agree with shorts under little girl's dresses. My daughter loves her some twirl skirts and dresses, and loves to dress like a princess (Yes, she owns plain shorts and pants, and will wear them. But if she has a choice, she goes for the girly stuff!) I put bike shorts under them, just because I don't want her flashin her underwear to the entire world! ROFL)

But seriously? I mean... ya know... I do cover up, myself. I try to wear tops that don't show cleavage and knee length skirts/straight leg jeans... I don't *do* tight or short just because I"m a *big woman* and don't feel it flatters me and I want to be comfortable. That's it. Comfort. If another woman feels comfortable in a short skirt and tube top then whatever! LOL! Long as she isn't out there naked then I guess there's no problem, right?

People need to stop being so uptight about it. And maybe stop looking at what others are doing and focus on themselves. (Not talking about you but the woman posted about and others who seem to be waaaaaayyyy too interested in how others dress. LOL!)

I'm making the transition on a recommendation from my doc (I can't use the cups. *sadface*). Making them this weekend

I can't use cups either. :( I tried! But... I just made me some pads from an old flannel sheet (for the bottom), an old towel (for the middle) pul, and kitty printed flannel for the top! Love 'em! They're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfy. Comfy times infinity. I love them SO much! And my sewing... well... it leaves a lot to be desired. But they still work! Ha! (And it makes me VERY happy to not be paying 10 bucks on a dang pack of pads. What in the world? LOL)

I had a science teacher that kept her freaking placenta and showed it to us in class! Eeeeeeewwwwww! I mean, that stuff does not normally skeeve me out, the thought of it doesn't anyways. But really? I don't wanna see yo placenta!!

I can't use cups either. :( I tried! But... I just made me some pads from an old flannel sheet (for the bottom), an old towel (for the middle) pul, and kitty printed flannel for the top! Love 'em! They're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfy. Comfy times infinity. I love them SO much! And my sewing... well... it leaves a lot to be desired. But they still work! Ha! (And it makes me VERY happy to not be paying 10 bucks on a dang pack of pads. What in the world? LOL)

I don't have a cup yet, but I can't use tampons because my periods are too light and inserting them on the first and last days is really uncomfortable, and while pads are comfy I just find them too messy. I could never cope with the mess of cloth pads. At least with a menstrual cup I can rinse it after emptying and it's clean right away.

I don't have a cup yet, but I can't use tampons because my periods are too light and inserting them on the first and last days is really uncomfortable, and while pads are comfy I just find them too messy. I could never cope with the mess of cloth pads. At least with a menstrual cup I can rinse it after emptying and it's clean right away.

I'll just be straightforward... I get really... *sensitive* during af. It has gotten to where tampons HURT, and cups... well, I've only tried the Diva. I could just order another, but haven't really gotten around to it. Not sure which else to try. I had no problems inserting it or removing it, but I could feel it and it um... well, I'll just say that it never got that far up in me no matter how far I pushed it up. LOL! Plus, it started to hurt the last couple times, giving me bad cramps. I do love my pads though. I cna't stand disposable. Freaking plasticy and the adhesive... when they twist (I'm an active sleeper) omgowowow! I like reusable pads more than I thought. Just snap 'em in and go. Easy peasy. :)

:) No, I don't have a filter. ROFL

ETA: Theres a livejournal group that I think you should check out. I don't remember the actual url, just search "Livejournal Menstrual Cups" and it'll direct you to it! There's so many different types, and there's ways to see if one might be better for you than another. (I think I need one where the rim is not as pronounced and maybe softer. But that's a whole lotta money I just don't have atm. *shrug*)

Archived