IGNORED

Would you buy a used car from this man?

snickerz

2a8f79722b5611e1a87612313804ec91_6.jpg

Would you rent property from Jim Bob?

Have John David tow your car?

Would you hire the Bates tree service to do tree work?

Hire Lawson Bates to mow your lawn?

Hire Erin Bates to teach your kid piano?

Hire Chris Maxwell to photograph your wedding?

Hire Chris Jeub to tutor your kid in debate?

Would you give your business to a known hard-core fundy?

I'm curious about this because with Smuggar's new Duggar Automotive sign (complete with large pic of the family) it's clear that he thinks people being reminded of who he is will bring him more business. I would go far, far out of my way to make sure I NEVER supported any of these hard-core fundies in any monetary way. (Including the fact that I will not watch 19K&C, won't buy their books, won't watch the Bates special, and do not click on any "news story" about them because I don't want to add to their ratings/popularity.) I'm curious about whether others feel the same way.

I would not be surprised if people in that area did go out of their way to patronize their businesses.

It's impossible to apply my conscience to every dollar I spend, but in general I try not to use businesses with blatant ideologies to which I take offense.

No I would not buy a car from Josh, but I don't go to lots that require 50% down and buy cars that have 200k miles. Even if Josh sold new cars I would say no because I want to buy a car from someone that I know will be there to follow up if there is a problem. I don't see Josh as a folow thru kind of guy.

If my car broke down I would no problem with JD towing me. If he knows what he is doing and his rates were competetive(or he was part of my free towing with my insurance). Same with Lawson if he did a good job at a fair rate.

Not sure about Erin teaching piano. My kids take music lessons and I had it narrowed to 2 choices. One lady was very LDS and included lds church music and I decided against her since I wanted my kids to practice what they needed to for school performances and class.

It's impossible to apply my conscience to every dollar I spend, but in general I try not to use businesses with blatant ideologies to which I take offense.

This. Nope, I would not be utilizing the business of the fundies we discuss here.

I would, however, use the services of the Amish if a need arose. I buy their homemade cheeses and jams, and drool over their woodworking. I know people who hire them to build barns because they do great work and don't charge exorbitant amounts. I'm not sure why I have no qualms about that, perhaps because they keep to themselves and don't try to legislate my life to fit their theology.

WTF? Is he trying to imitate Tobuscus?

Edit: To give a real answer to the OP, I would not buy a car from Josh, I would not rent anything from Jim Bob, I wouldn't let Chris Jeub anywhere near my (hypothetical) child's education... I would, however, let JD tow my car if he did a good job for a good price. I'd let Erin teach my hypothetical kids to play piano, maybe, I don't know.

Generally when I do business with someone on a personal level I like to know them. For personal level I mean they are coming to my house to mow the lawn, work with my kids OR I am making a major purchase from them.

Now the tow thing, I usually am stuck with whom ever AAA sends out or my insurance uses. I doubt that smuggars are linked to insurance so I'm probably safe on that one.

For music lessons my kid would not like the personality of fundies so nope, not gonna get the job. Same for tutoring or babysitting.

If you are coming on my property for yard work or anything I need to know who you are, if *I* don't like you, YOU are not going to get the job. Enough said!

As for cars- not a snowballs chance in he!!. Let's compare like this, I am Italian and was raised Catholic, I left the church many years ago... there is a better chance of me becoming AMISH then buying a car from smuggar. (in which case I would be in the market for a horse and buggy) I would honestly need to go to confession after dealing with him- YUCK! :twisted:

And NO I am not living in a 'j-boob' house.

How did I do??

*I am not snarking the Amish, I grew up in close proximity to them and have a special fondness for the lifestyle

I'd hire Erin because I think she has real talent, although saying that, she might be a crap teacher. I don't have an issue really with giving money to fundies, esp the 99% who arn't like the Duggars and need the money to feed their million kids.

Yes to Erin teaching my children piano (so long as I was always within earshot and she respected my "don't proselytize to my children" rule.

This. Nope, I would not be utilizing the business of the fundies we discuss here.

I would, however, use the services of the Amish if a need arose. I buy their homemade cheeses and jams, and drool over their woodworking. I know people who hire them to build barns because they do great work and don't charge exorbitant amounts. I'm not sure why I have no qualms about that, perhaps because they keep to themselves and don't try to legislate my life to fit their theology.

Are you unaware of the Amish puppy mills? I'd Google you some info but the images that come up actually make me extremely upset.

Are you unaware of the Amish puppy mills? I'd Google you some info but the images that come up actually make me extremely upset.

it's near impossible to lead a totally sustainable life. Because some Amish have puppy mills does not mean you should not buy the farmers' produce... Those people are different people and their lifestyles does not mean that they are responsible for each other's economic activity

Out of all the questions asked by the OP, the only ones I would do is hire Lawson to mow my lawn and Erin to teach piano. Lawson seems like a pretty decent young man and Erin actually has talent. I would say no to the rest.

I would not be surprised if people in that area did go out of their way to patronize their businesses.

They really don't. Many long-time residents think that they sold their souls to the devil a long, long time ago. They aren't impressed with the presumed hokiness or faux down-country living. They are a family very entrenched in local business, technology, and self-serving behaviors, even if they seem like uneducated buffoons.

I wouldn't hire most of them because they are incompetent and/or dishonest and I would not get my money's worth. For Josh, it's not (just) about being a tool; he's shady and would probably lie as hard as he could to sell me some piece of junk. Same deal with Chris Jeub and "debate". He's horrible at debating so I wouldn't hire him to teach it. I would hire Lawson to mow my lawn because I just feel so sorry for the poor kid since he needs the money so his siblings don't starve, and it's not his fault he's in that situation. I'm assuming he could actually do a decent job of it because most people can. However, I would not hire any of those hateful people to spend significant time with my (hypothetical) children, so Erin's piano lessons are out. Also, being good at piano doesn't mean she's good at teaching. She seems too self-absorbed to really teach a child well, although I have hope that she'll get better about that as she matures.

Out of all the questions asked by the OP, the only ones I would do is hire Lawson to mow my lawn and Erin to teach piano. Lawson seems like a pretty decent young man and Erin actually has talent. I would say no to the rest.

That, though Lawson might night be allowed to do business with me after the first time. I'd feel compelled to write "For Lawson's use only; parents are not allowed to commandeer this money."

it's near impossible to lead a totally sustainable life. Because some Amish have puppy mills does not mean you should not buy the farmers' produce... Those people are different people and their lifestyles does not mean that they are responsible for each other's economic activity

Well, I don't know where you are located (assuming the Shire is referring to LOTR) so I have no idea which Amish you patronize and if they are the ones who run puppy mills. I was just asking a question, which you didn't answer but maybe it doesn't matter. I acknowledged up-thread that it's impossible to never support businesses with beliefs that are offensive to you, but it happens that puppy mills are egregious enough to me that I would be willing to buy produce from a source that had no such connections.

I'm not really sure what you are saying with your last sentence. Who are "those people?" The Amish who run puppy mills are "those people?" And whose lifestyle does not mean they are responsible for the economic activity of others? While each Amish community is, I believe, independent from others, and they aren't organized as a central group like, say, the LDS, I find it hard to believe that the money coming in from puppy mills isn't being spread around within the communities in which it is earned.

So I'm just throwing it out there, in case this is an issue you might feel strongly about, in case you felt it was important enough to check around your local Amish community to see if there are puppy mills. Because the tone of your post suggested the stereotype, which I am sure you know is untrue having what appears to be more contact with the Amish than most, that the Amish were somehow more "good" than fundies because it is not part of their religion to evangelize and they believe in the separation of church and state. I honestly asked the question to start a conversation, which you may or may not know or care about.

(In a really ironic twist, Rick Santorum actually has taken steps in PA to crack down on puppy mills.)

2a8f79722b5611e1a87612313804ec91_6.jpg

Would you rent property from Jim Bob?

No. He strikes me as someone who'd charge me big bucks for a crappy piece of property. In other words, a slumlord.

Have John David tow your car?

Tow it where? To Josh's car lot? No. But I'd let him tow my car to Belle Tire, which is where I usually take it when there's something wrong with it.

Would you hire the Bates tree service to do tree work?

Only if they are wearing proper shoes and safety goggles. I don't want an accidental chainsaw massacre in my yard.

Hire Lawson Bates to mow your lawn?

He seems like a good kid and he has all those mouths to feed. So yeah, I'd hire him.

Hire Erin Bates to teach your kid piano?

I don't have a kid, but yes. Erin is talented and anything that encourages these Quiverfull kids to work and earn money is good, IMO.

Hire Chris Maxwell to photograph your wedding?

I doubt any wedding I'd ever have would meet his strict criteria.

Hire Chris Jeub to tutor your kid in debate?

I don't know much about the Jeubs. But I wouldn't need a debate tutor. I can do that myself.

Would you give your business to a known hard-core fundy?

It depends on the business and the fundie. I have a soft spot for the teenagers and young adults who are trapped in a way of life they did not choose and from which there are few means of escape. Any opportunity to earn a little money and form alliances with people outside their narrow little world is a good thing.

I'd run, from all of them but most especially from the Duggars. Bonus points if I could make a big enough spectacle doing it that they all came to see what the ruckus was and got to hear/know exactly why I was running away.

I don't give business to organizations I disagree with. Of course, I don't know specifics of every organization I patronize or whose products I use. But, if I do know, and I disagree, I take my business, and money, elsewhere.

Well... I'm not moving out of Mississippi any time soon. LOL! But even if I were to move to Arkansas, no I would not buy a car from him. Y'all got it. He seems too "smug" for my liking. I don't know that much about the rest of them to say one way or another. I *am* a Christian, but do not take things near as far as the people you have listed. But, I haven't been around this board much and have not really followed them enough to say anything one way or another about them or if I'd support them. :)

No, I am not unaware. Just because some do it doesn't mean they all do.

The folks who run the shop I like to frequent when I'm in a particular area and who make the best damn cheese I've ever had do not run a puppy mill. I have chatted with them about it before, as a matter of fact. Their sweet dog gave me the perfect opening to casually ask them about puppies and whatnot because I knew I'd never be able to go back if that were the case.

I'd let Erin teach paino... right after I dyed my kid's hair green.

So.much.this. Condescending little bitch.

I'd only allow JD to tow if he's the guy my insurance company sent out. But no, I wouldn't call him (or being insured, have to call him) for services.

I'm afraid Lawson Bates would hand me a tract or something and ask for cash. Who believes he has a fictitious business name (or DBA) statement filed with the county and a bank account whose title is more than "Lawson Bates." If someone has access to county records and can dispel my suspicion, have at it! But for now, I'm not convinced his business is on the up and up as far as paying his fair share of taxes goes.

eta: I did find this http://knoxville.citysearch.com/profile ... _care.html which I believe is his, but that really doesn't prove anything either way. I had friends who ran a landscaping business and didn't pay taxes until the wife finally got her horticulture degree, probably about 10 years. I doubt Lawson was paying the IRS taxes on the earnings from his home business since he was 13 (which is when he started mowing lawns for cash). And going back to that Nightline piece, he emphasizes CASH.

Nothing against JD, but if I needed a tow I wouldn't call him because chances are he would be out of town and unavailable.

No way IN HELL would I ever buy a 1/2 cash down, high mileage clunker from Smuggar.

I might consider hiring Lawson if I actually had a lawn (desert landscape needs no mowing ;))

I wouldn't buy/take anything from any of them. They have enough people worshiping at their little fundie feet as it is...they don't need this hell bound heathen's money.

It has been my unfortunate experience that all the used car dealers I have dealt with have the ethics of Josh Duggar. So, no on Josh and no on buying a used car from a lot.

I have always wanted to slap Erin's prissy little face so no on lessons for my non existent children.

Absolutely no money of mine would ever go to Jim Bob Enterprises or the Bates Tree Service.

I'm cool with Lawson mowing my lawn.

The Amish sell very high quality produce and meat in my area and I am happy to exchange my money with them for these things.

Archived