IGNORED

20 Reasons not to snark fundies

formergothardite

See, I would list that under outstanding reasons we SHOULD be snarking these people, because every Bible scholar out there (except a few hold-out fundies) will tell you that there are tons of irreconcilable conflicts with the Bible, and it's simply impossible that it's all 100% God-spoken fact.

I once has someone tell me the contradictions don't matter, because you can only read one part at a time. :doh:

I once has someone tell me the contradictions don't matter, because you can only read one part at a time. :doh:

Whoa, Terrie. That would cause my brain to explode. (we need an exploding smilie)

Buzzard and Emmie have both created brillant lists for this thread. :clap:

2. They believe in truth

So do people who think the government is run by aliens. Doesn't make it any less snarkworthy.

As I always like to say, if I thought I was wrong, I'd think something different.

How on earth is that a good reason not to snark somebody???

Anyone who comes up with a list of why I shouldnt do something is totally asking for it. If enough people were doing something so as to require a list then there's clearly some good subject matter there...

That is outstanding. It doesn't speak very highly for God's attention span though, does it?

EDIT:

BTW, I LOVE your list, Emmiedahl!

I'm sorry, I just literally laughed out loud. This is hilarious. John Piper is a fundie leader. He is talking about not taking "potshots" at himself.

20 Reasons to Snark on Fundies

1 - Their complete inability to think rationally about anything. Circular arguments are required.

For the record, circular reasoning is the excuse they give for why evolution is not true, according my old 8th grade "Matter and Motion in God's Universe" Abeka science textbook. There's a cartoon and everything!

I guess since they're holier than thou, they are the only ones who can use circular arguments.

3 - They treat their women as lesser than men

4 - They treat their girls as lesser than boys

Yep that would be my top reasons to snark

10. They put obedience to Paul, a man who never met Jesus and was likely misquoted, above obedience to God, Jesus, and common sense.

Can someone explain to me why this is so? Because I noticed it when I started visiting and nearly joined my local Baptist church. I was surprised that almost all Bible study revolved around what Paul taught. I had assumed that a more mainstream church ( I'm a Quaker so I didn't have any experience of this) would be focusing on the Gospels, but this wasn't the case.

Can someone explain to me why this is so? Because I noticed it when I started visiting and nearly joined my local Baptist church. I was surprised that almost all Bible study revolved around what Paul taught. I had assumed that a more mainstream church ( I'm a Quaker so I didn't have any experience of this) would be focusing on the Gospels, but this wasn't the case.

Jesus made life really difficult for Fundys because he took away all the old rules and just left us with two; (1) love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind and (2) love all of mankind as you love yourself. Fundys love rules and it is a bit hard when there are only two to follow. By sticking to Paul (and to the Old Testament laws - you will hear this from alot of them too) they get the rules they so desire.

The best reason I can think of not to snark is the kids. I try to carefully monitor what I say here and elsewhere because I don't want one of the kids to suffer because I commented.

Other than that, no limits to the snark.

Jesus and Paul's view of salvation is different. Jesus said that you have to feed the poor and not judge in order to be saved. Paul said that only faith saves you.

Some Protestants-especially fundamentalist and Calvinist-don't want the good deeds to have any part of the salvation experience. They will accept that love for god might lead you to help others, however, they are extremly uncomfortable with saying that good works are a part of salvation.

My guess is that they concentrate mainly on Paul makes them feel good. Jesus actually tells them things that they should do for others and they don't like that.

edited for clarity and I wasn't trying to imply that all Christians have the same beliefs

Paul was pretty much the one who created Christianity as a separate theology and religion, and who spread it to the gentiles as opposed to the Jews. According to Paul, keeping the Jewish laws was not necessary, and the only requirement for salvation was faith in Jesus.

Jesus and his disciples were Jewish, and there is no evidence that they saw themselves creating a separate religion.

Kinda makes me think that if there is a god up there, he's going to be quite pissed off at what the fundies do in his name.

Rubbish, if I follow these reasons, how am I gonna write good books. All my fundie characters would be flat cardboard Mary Sues and Gary Stues.

Archived