IGNORED

Senate defeats bill/conscience bill (MERGED)

Knight of Ni

CNN has just announced that the controversial bill that would allow employers to deny employees health insurance coverage that disagreed with their moral values. The bill was killed by a 51-48 vote. Even though I'm relieved that the bill is passed I think the vote was just a little too close for comfort. Are there really enough people in positions of authority with these beliefs? That is scary. Even though this bill didn't pass, with a close vote like that it may be likely that other damaging bill would be passed.

How is the rejection of this bill interfering with the First Amendment. All this bill states is that employers can't force their moral beliefs on others. They are still free to follow their beliefs and morals on a personal level.

Edited to add link: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3

More power to the people. they have spoken and blunt was smoked.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate has defeated a Republican effort to roll back President Barack Obama's policy on contraception insurance coverage.

The measure sponsored by Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt, a Republican, was defeated 51-48. The measure, an amendment to a pending transportation bill, would have allowed employers and insurers to opt out of portions of the president's health care law they found morally objectionable. That would have included the law's requirement that insurers cover the costs of birth control.

Republicans said it was a matter of freedom of religion; Democrats said it was an assault on women's rights and could be used to cancel virtually any part of the law.

That was too close, but unfortunately people won't wake up until it's a too-close vote that goes the wrong way.

I am starting to really understand now the older feminists when I was younger (32, nearly 33 now) over the attitude displayed by younger women that things can't ever go back the way they were before Roe v. Wade, before Griswold v. Conneticut, and why they were so angry over every young woman who said "I'm not a feminist but... (insert feminist thing here)" because now I am one of the voices saying wake up and defend our rights.

That was almost too close. People need to wake up an realize that if we don't take action this could become a reality someday.

That was too close, but unfortunately people won't wake up until it's a too-close vote that goes the wrong way.

I am starting to really understand now the older feminists when I was younger (32, nearly 33 now) over the attitude displayed by younger women that things can't ever go back the way they were before Roe v. Wade, before Griswold v. Conneticut, and why they were so angry over every young woman who said "I'm not a feminist but... (insert feminist thing here)" because now I am one of the voices saying wake up and defend our rights.

As a feminist a decade and a half older than you, I am thrilled to hear that. Keep preaching it, sista!

Archived