IGNORED

What will it take to get the Duggar's show cancelled?

NJMom

The Roloffs are a family in which 3 of the family members are dwarfs. Their show was called Little People, Big World. The mom Amy, the dad Matt and the one of the sons Zach are dwarfs. The other kids are Zach's fraternal twin brother Jeremy, Molly, and Jacob. The Roloffs are a bit well known the little people community. Before TLC gave them a show, they filmed two documentaries about the family. The family owns a farm and the dad Matt dabbles in various businesses. At first their show focused a lot on how is to be a little person raising a family, dealing with difficultuies etc. Over time, the show became about the Roloffs going on various trips, do remodeling projects and other things. Some shady things came out about the family during the show's run such as Jeremy making racist and homophobic comments on MySpace. Matt was arrested for drunk driving and a lot of rumors about the family have circulated on the Internet.

I only saw a couple shows of Little People, Big World. The family seemed nice when I watched. Until I came on this forum, I didn't know any of the negative aspects of their life.

I only saw a couple shows of Little People, Big World. The family seemed nice when I watched. Until I came on this forum, I didn't know any of the negative aspects of their life.

The Roloffs seemed pretty nice when the show first started and overall I don't think they are horrible people. I do find them more likable and more real than the Duggars. They at least own up to some of their flaws. The family had a pretty good reputation until the MySpace comments incident. I remember after that incident more rumors came out about them. Someone on TWOP claimed to have worked with Matt's dad Ron in the past and he said Ron had racist attitudes. The Roloffs' reputation also got damaged when they were linked to a well known homphobic pastor in the Portland area. I have heard some other some other crazy stuff about them. Matt's reputation in the LP community is a bit sketchy. Some have said that he tried to use the show as reasons for LP organizations to give him board or leadership positions. There was an LP blogger who said she was friends with the Roloffs prior to the show, but she said the show changed them and she stopped being friends with them. I think the pumpkin launcher accident that involved Jacob and the family friend Mike also made the Roloffs look bad.

Whats interesting is that TLC may be shooting themselves in the foot by not just pulling the plug. The longer there is internet banter about the duggars the more likely it is that the sheeple connect the Duggars to the Bates family... and gothard... and quiverfull... and ATI... and the Pearls... and there goes the spinoff!

The thing is, I really don't think people will stop watching when they find out about the crazy cult connections. If anything, it will make the show more titillating => more popular. Sure, some people will be disgusted and turned off, but many of us can't help ourselves.

The thing is, I really don't think people will stop watching when they find out about the crazy cult connections. If anything, it will make the show more titillating => more popular. Sure, some people will be disgusted and turned off, but many of us can't help ourselves.

I agree some people wouldn't stop watching if they knew about the cult connections. The cult connections are the reason I've continued watching the show. I agree too some people would be turned and they would stop watching.

I agree some people wouldn't stop watching if they knew about the cult connections. The cult connections are the reason I've continued watching the show. I agree too some people would be turned and they would stop watching.

The advertisers aim towards the subject matter of the show, not the snarkers who watch it. It all the "good wholesome" family folk stop watching it they lose their base of soft core ads. If they want to aim at me they show cool cars and alcohol (think NFL ads)... not really something thats going to be purchased on 19KAC.

The advertisers aim towards the subject matter of the show, not the snarkers who watch it. It all the "good wholesome" family folk stop watching it they lose their base of soft core ads. If they want to aim at me they show cool cars and alcohol (think NFL ads)... not really something thats going to be purchased on 19KAC.

Ratings are what get ads sold--ratings, numbers, and ratings. A titillating but morally bankrupt show would have no problem staying on the air. As long as people watch it, the advertisers will come.

I honestly don't think those girls act like teens. They act like demi-mothers. They cook, clean, do school work, bathe, discipline, naps, bedtime - they are like 5 little mothers - the saving Grace is at least they aren't popping out babies over and over like they could be as far as these families go.

I honestly don't think those girls act like teens. They act like demi-mothers. They cook, clean, do school work, bathe, discipline, naps, bedtime - they are like 5 little mothers - the saving Grace is at least they aren't popping out babies over and over like they could be as far as these families go.

I agree they are demi-mothers. The Duggars girls have never had anything close to a normal life. During their teen years, they weren't doing things that other teens do. They don't have any hobbies of their own and the friends they have were pretty much picked by their parents. The friends that the girls have are fundie girls from other families. None of the girls have work experience outside the home. In some ways the girls are stunted.

I agree they are demi-mothers. The Duggars girls have never had anything close to a normal life. During their teen years, they weren't doing things that other teens do. They don't have any hobbies of their own and the friends they have were pretty much picked by their parents. The friends that the girls have are fundie girls from other families. None of the girls have work experience outside the home. In some ways the girls are stunted.

Yes in some ways they are but in others they lost a lot of their childhood. Michelle has said she was blessed to have so many girls at the beginning to help her. It seems like their curse - long days of endless work - the birth right of the first few born in mega families.

If one or two of the Duggar kids were to break free from the cult, that could make for some interesting material..

I think the general public's attitude towards the Duggars has shifted over the years. A few years ago there were "a vagina is not a clown car" jokes but mostly people had the attitude was live and let live, especially since the family was all debt free. I remember reading about how Jana and Jill were already cooking meals for the family at age 14 and raising my eyebrows.

I think that since the Duggars have become more fame whores there seems to be more of a backlash. People were questioning whether she should still be all "Jesus is my birth control" after having Josie and the way that they very publicly and dare I say fatuously mourned jubilee has also created more of a backlash.

As others have said the show is running out of ideas, the ratings are down and the Duggars seem unwilling or unable to get some nice fundie boy or girl to court John-David or Jana. It's weird that the Bates wouldn't jump at the chance to be part of that ratings bonanza

They act like 40 year olds and 14 year olds at the same time; 40 because of all the housework and childbearing, 14 because of the emphasis put on appearance and other shallow things.

Thanks for everyone's perspective. So, TLC could still have the Duggars under contract for say, another 3-5 years (I really can't see it going another 8 to 10...geez, Jill , JD and Jana living in dorm style bedrooms in their 30's?)- but can decide to film or not film, as suits them? 5 years seems like an awfully long time in reality tv to have a family under contract. I think TLC's longest runnin show was Trading Places, and even that finally got cancelled after about 11-12 years.

As much as I can't stand Jim Bob and Michelle, I hope we can see specials, if for anything, so that youngest kids can have a semblance of normalcy (no blanket training, corporal punishment, etc). I know those kids will never see a public school (or good private school), but having specials may keep Jim Bob and Michelle in check and keep them from going off the deep end.

You know that when they finally do pull the plug, JB will say it was his and JChelle's idea, that god laid on their hearts that it was time to get back to a normal life or some such bullshit blah blah blah.

You know that when they finally do pull the plug, JB will say it was his and JChelle's idea, that god laid on their hearts that it was time to get back to a normal life or some such bullshit blah blah blah.

That will probably happen. Boob and Mullet will probably be pissed when the show ends. Once the show ends, some of their popularity in certain Christian circles will decline.

That will probably happen. Boob and Mullet will probably be pissed when the show ends. Once the show ends, some of their popularity in certain Christian circles will decline.

That may well be the case, but as I've said elsewhere (as have others), they're positioning themselves to make money by speaking on the fundie circuit. And perhaps for the Boob to run for office.

Thanks for everyone's perspective. So, TLC could still have the Duggars under contract for say, another 3-5 years (I really can't see it going another 8 to 10...geez, Jill , JD and Jana living in dorm style bedrooms in their 30's?)- but can decide to film or not film, as suits them? 5 years seems like an awfully long time in reality tv to have a family under contract. I think TLC's longest runnin show was Trading Places, and even that finally got cancelled after about 11-12 years.

TLC can negoitate any amount of time. If they can get someone cheap I think they would lock them in for years. After the divorce announcement Kate got 3 years which was considered long and that did not turn out well for TLC because Kate's contract was very expensive and ratings dipped. I think Jimbob would stay under contract for 25k a year, an amount that pays the grocery bill. Remember compared to every other show how many times has TLC paid for first class airfare and travel (only the europe trip). TLC gets away cheap with the bus for travel, and the family sleeping in the bus. TLC would love to take advantage of filming them if they have another baby, wedding, kids leave the lifestyle, someone dies(not to be morbid but we now TLC will film anything). TLC also does not pay the family when episodes are re-aired. I think TLC knows that maybe 4 yearly specials is the only way to keep the Duggars show going after this season. I just can't see TLC giving up rights to the Duggars. I also don't think Jimbob is loyal enough if TLC did release them from contract if something big happened to go back to TLC if another network offered more.

I would love to see what these contracts include. I know the day Jon's contract expired his twitter went public. I'm most curious about what the camera man have to sign. Those people that have worked with the Duggars, Kate, Roloffs, Browns must see some crazy stuff but no one ever talks? and what about all the unseen footage, hours that TLC owns for some rainyday?

As for sponsors I always find it odd that in my area the commericals are about birth control. I see alot of ads for mirena and also for male enhancement pills suring the Duggars. Sponsors look for the 18-49 age range and the Duggars did very poorly last week. I believe 5 times more 18-49's watched Disney's Shake it up and Jesse then the Duggars.

If you are interested in the child advoacy portion, feeling the kids should not be filmed, I really suggest going to realitytvkids. I believe the admin and board owner is a lawyer and some child advocates are there. They watched the filming laws and Kate very closely and now are starting to look at the Duggars. The minute the admin over there found out about Jubilee VSE she wrote an article. I don't think she digs as much on the Duggars but if someone has a list of references to episodes or quotes or research I'm sure that site followers would be interested.

That may well be the case, but as I've said elsewhere (as have others), they're positioning themselves to make money by speaking on the fundie circuit

That will only last 6-12 months after the show ends. Then it's - Duggar? Who?

I think the opposite. I think a lot of ATI fundies probably think that by being on the show the Duggars are 'too worldly'. Also, when the show ends the older kids might actually get some interested suitors.

Archived