IGNORED

What will it take to get the Duggar's show cancelled?

NJMom

I was just wondering, is it strictly a numbers game with the network, or does the fact that they have been on the air for 8 years make it hard for the network to cancel 19 Kids and counting? Maybe Jim Bob took a pay cut in exchange for falling ratings, but decided he'd do whatever it took to stay on tv. I think with the Roloffs and the Gosselins, both parents had become so unlikeable that it was easier for TLC to pull the plug, but to the general public, the Duggars still seem to come across better than they did ( we don't see the Duggars going to court for drunk driving , nor do we see the Duggars screaming at their kids). This is the first season that I literally haven't been able to generate enough interest to watch. Once I found out Michelle miscarried and that TLC was going along with the happy healthy pregnancy, that did it for me. The snark on here and the TWOP is far more interesting than the show.

I used to post fairly regularly on GWOP and a similar question would often come up about J&K+8 (which morphed into Kate+8) from time to time. I really think that the bottom line is numbers. Once a show regularly starts getting below a defined number of viewers in the most coveted demographic, the network will cancel it and put something in its place in the hope of getting those viewers back.

I really think that's all the advertisers and network execs really care about. If exploiting Michelle's miscarriage will bring in the viewers, so be it. If they thought another courtship/wedding would bring in the viewers, they'd talk JB and Michelle into it. On the other hand, once those weekly numbers consistently hit 1 million or less, TLC will decide the show has run its course and drop it from their line up.

Eventually that will happen. At some point, the weirdness of having your adult children still living at home, all in just two bedrooms, doing nothing with their lives, will drive viewers away in droves. The faithful will stick around, but they aren't as numerous as they like to believe they are.

The ratings for 19KAC are still ok but they aren't great compared to other cable shows. I haven't been checking the ratings for this season. The ratings for the previous seasons were 1 to 1.5 million viewers per episode and I believe the World Tour episodes only got about 1 million viewers. I think TLC at this point knows that interest in the Duggars is dwindling down and they probably know about the dislike that many have for the family and they know that the Duggars' link to Gothard/ATI are known to some in the public.

I think TLC was planning to axe the show last summer, but Michelle got pregnant and the pregnancy would be enough for one more season. Michelle miscarried and they are trying to exploit the miscarriage in hopes that it will bring in viewers. I think the Jubilee VSE will bring in some higher ratings, but after that there will be a dip in viewership. I do think Boob and Mullet right now are trying to keep the show on for another season. They will either have a courtship happen or if Anna is pregnant they will use that too.

The Roloffs and Gosselins became very unlikable with the public and TLC caught on that. I think dislike for the Duggars has increased in the past several months. Out of the Roloffs, Gosselins, and Duggars, the Roloffs are the lesser evil. Matt is pretty greedy but he has a better personality than Boob. Amy came off as a bitch a lot of times, but she isn't fake like Mullet. Matt and Amy at least admitted at times that their family wasn't perfect. Boob and Mullet are phony about several things regarding their kids and people know the "leave and cleve" thing is BS.

Yesterday I was looking through 19kac twop thread and a poster there mentioned hearing somewhere that a previous neighbor of the Duggars said that Michelle used to yell at the kids years ago before TLC was in the picture. I get the feeling that the Duggars do yell at their kids when cameras aren't around and I also get the feeling that they are letting the J'Slaves physically discipline the younger kids. The episode in which one of the J'Slaves had a hard time getting Johannah to take a nap showed signs that spanking has happened and the reason the J'Slave didn't spank Johannah is because cameras were around.

I used to post fairly regularly on GWOP and a similar question would often come up about J&K+8 (which morphed into Kate+8) from time to time. I really think that the bottom line is numbers. Once a show regularly starts getting below a defined number of viewers in the most coveted demographic, the network will cancel it and put something in its place in the hope of getting those viewers back.

I really think that's all the advertisers and network execs really care about. If exploiting Michelle's miscarriage will bring in the viewers, so be it. If they thought another courtship/wedding would bring in the viewers, they'd talk JB and Michelle into it. On the other hand, once those weekly numbers consistently hit 1 million or less, TLC will decide the show has run its course and drop it from their line up.

Eventually that will happen. At some point, the weirdness of having your adult children still living at home, all in just two bedrooms, doing nothing with their lives, will drive viewers away in droves. The faithful will stick around, but they aren't as numerous as they like to believe they are.

Some viewers have left the show because of that and there are also some viewers who liked the Duggars at one point, but over time they realized how backwards they are. There are still some dumb ass viewers that don't see how ridiculous it looks for young women in their late teens and early 20's to be living at home and sharing rooms with younger siblings. There are a lot of non fundie young women in their late teens and early 20's living at home. Usually these are young women who at least have jobs or who are least attending college. With the J'Slaves, there have been rumors about Jill attending nursing school. The Duggar girls are way too sheltered and they likely don't have the skills to function on their own. Someone like Jana who is 22 with no work experience would likely encounter problems trying to get into the workforce.

I hadn't visited Duggars W/O Pity site in ages, and the last time I had, there were Duggar supporters left and right. Now, however, things seem to have really changed! There seem to be more and more folks getting sick and tired of the Duggars' antics over and over again (maybe some posters from here, too?) and getting just totally fed up! Was I surprised!

I hadn't visited Duggars W/O Pity site in ages, and the last time I had, there were Duggar supporters left and right. Now, however, things seem to have really changed! There seem to be more and more folks getting sick and tired of the Duggars' antics over and over again (maybe some posters from here, too?) and getting just totally fed up! Was I surprised!

I did notice sometime back on DWOP that some supporters were calling and criticizing the Duggars on certain things. Some people who have supported the Duggars in the past eventually stop supporting them once they realize certain things about them. There are always going to be Duggar supporters but the big supporters tend to be people who agree with a lot of the aspects of fundie lifestyles. I mentioned before but there are some dumb ass Duggar supporters who will likely never notice certain things about the family and these people have no idea about Gothard and ATI.

When they kids were all younger, I think it was easier for more people to view them favorably. But now that so many are adults and still live like teenagers, especially the girls, it's easier to see how screwed up their lives are. I think it's unusual in a wealthy family with so many adults for none to have gone to a real college or trades school, and it's damning against Boob and J'chelle that most of the girls have expressed things they want to to that Boob and J say the support...but yet nothing has happened to help those girls further their goals despite the family being in a much MUCH better position than most to let those girls get whatever schooling they need to do what they want. There aren't excuses anymore. The editing may try to show them in a nice light, but that only works so long when there is no education, socializing, etc., happening for girls over the age of 18 and into their 20's and their only maybe-friends are the Bateses. There's no way to edit away how those girls are the surrogate mothers for their siblings.

People with Nielsen boxes would have to stop watching the show. Or advertisers would stop buying ad time.

Do we know that it HASN'T been canceled? After all, they're using footage that was filmed a while ago. Are they actually there filming new stuff? Or will the BATES carrying on the show after their special in March (following the season finale)?

Do we know that it HASN'T been canceled? After all, they're using footage that was filmed a while ago. Are they actually there filming new stuff? Or will the BATES carrying on the show after their special in March (following the season finale)?

I kind of think it is possible that the show has been canned but they are waiting to make an official announcement.

Ratings for these last two episodes dropped sharply. That's all that really matters.

it's absolutely a numbers game. it's all about money...viewers and advertisers.

the fact that they stay or get canned has nothing at all to do with how the network may or may not feel about the family.

it's business, pure and simple.

When they kids were all younger, I think it was easier for more people to view them favorably. But now that so many are adults and still live like teenagers, especially the girls, it's easier to see how screwed up their lives are. I think it's unusual in a wealthy family with so many adults for none to have gone to a real college or trades school, and it's damning against Boob and J'chelle that most of the girls have expressed things they want to to that Boob and J say the support...but yet nothing has happened to help those girls further their goals despite the family being in a much MUCH better position than most to let those girls get whatever schooling they need to do what they want. There aren't excuses anymore. The editing may try to show them in a nice light, but that only works so long when there is no education, socializing, etc., happening for girls over the age of 18 and into their 20's and their only maybe-friends are the Bateses. There's no way to edit away how those girls are the surrogate mothers for their siblings.

I disagree with you when you say the adult kids live like teenagers. IMO they live like they are still children. Teenagers go out and get part time jobs and prepare for post secondary education whether it's college or trade school. They have done none of that. It seems that none of the children in the house have progressed beyond the lifestyle of a 13 year old.

I used to have cable but haven't for 2 years. I've never heard of the Roloffs. What was their show about? I saw Jon and Kate only a few times, I just couldn't take Kate's bitchiness and the way she treated Jon and the kids.

kind of think it is possible that the show has been canned but they are waiting to make an official announcement.

I think the SHOW may continue, but with the BATES as the family.............

The Roloffs are from "Little People, Big World"

Ah, OK, I do remember ads for it. Didn't the father get arrested for drunk driving?

I used to have cable but haven't for 2 years. I've never heard of the Roloffs. What was their show about? I saw Jon and Kate only a few times, I just couldn't take Kate's bitchiness and the way she treated Jon and the kids.

The Roloffs are a family in which 3 of the family members are dwarfs. Their show was called Little People, Big World. The mom Amy, the dad Matt and the one of the sons Zach are dwarfs. The other kids are Zach's fraternal twin brother Jeremy, Molly, and Jacob. The Roloffs are a bit well known the little people community. Before TLC gave them a show, they filmed two documentaries about the family. The family owns a farm and the dad Matt dabbles in various businesses. At first their show focused a lot on how is to be a little person raising a family, dealing with difficultuies etc. Over time, the show became about the Roloffs going on various trips, do remodeling projects and other things. Some shady things came out about the family during the show's run such as Jeremy making racist and homophobic comments on MySpace. Matt was arrested for drunk driving and a lot of rumors about the family have circulated on the Internet.

Ratings for these last two episodes dropped sharply. That's all that really matters.

Sharla over at DWOP couldn't even find this weeks' episodes in cables' Top 100 shows, and #100 was at ratings around 800k. That's about half what they got for the first two weeks. I guess larger sentiment for yet another fucking speaking engagement, field trip and trip to Branson (I think this was either the 3rd or 4th), combined with the threat of Amy's caterwauling, was the same as it is in my little corners of the internets.

DWOP is changing the minds of former fans who had no clue about Gothard. During the haitus, Sharla actually posted a thread about Gothard, and let those of us who knew anything post pretty much anything we wanted about the guy. It's great to see people admit that they had the Duggars all wrong and given proof, are looking at the Duggars with a more objective eye. That's why I stay active over there; you never know when Suzanne may show up again. She posted once after the first week's shows, got shot down, and hasn't been back since. :mrgreen:

Sharla over at DWOP couldn't even find this weeks' episodes in cables' Top 100 shows, and #100 was at ratings around 800k. That's about half what they got for the first two weeks. I guess larger sentiment for yet another fucking speaking engagement, field trip and trip to Branson (I think this was either the 3rd or 4th), combined with the threat of Amy's caterwauling, was the same as it is in my little corners of the internets.

DWOP is changing the minds of former fans who had no clue about Gothard. During the haitus, Sharla actually posted a thread about Gothard, and let those of us who knew anything post pretty much anything we wanted about the guy. It's great to see people admit that they had the Duggars all wrong and given proof, are looking at the Duggars with a more objective eye. That's why I stay active over there; you never know when Suzanne may show up again. She posted once after the first week's shows, got shot down, and hasn't been back since. :mrgreen:

I'm looking through the thread about Gothard and I give Sharla credit for doing that. I'm glad that DWOP is showing fans about Gothard. Another site that educated former fans is NLQ.

I'm looking through the thread about Gothard and I give Sharla credit for doing that. I'm glad that DWOP is showing fans about Gothard. Another site that educated former fans is NLQ.

Whats interesting is that TLC may be shooting themselves in the foot by not just pulling the plug. The longer there is internet banter about the duggars the more likely it is that the sheeple connect the Duggars to the Bates family... and gothard... and quiverfull... and ATI... and the Pearls... and there goes the spinoff!

My guess is they will have a planned final season, so it will look like they are ending the show by choice, then TLC will try a few specials when "important" things like the girls finally getting married off/grandchildren being born happen. If those don't bring in ratings they will stop as well.

I guess there is a small chance one of the kids could end up with their own show if they end up with a bunch of kids, but I think it's unlikely. Smuggar is so unlikeable that I don't see him getting his own show no matter how many kids Anna can pop out.

I stopped reading at DWOP over a year ago. I couldn't take the Duggars defenders any more. I'm glad some people have seen the light, I'm tempted to go back and see who have changed their minds.

When will the Duggars be cancelled? When the show is no longer profitable, which I'm guessing will be in the near future. Productions costs mount over time as the family probably gets paid a bit more each season and more expensive trips are needed to make the show interesting. The same thing happened to the Gosselins and the Roloffs. The pay increased as time went on and more expensive trips were filmed as seasons went on. Also, the more the public sees of the family, the hider it is to sweep their unpleasantness under the rug. People watched the Gosselins' marriage fall apart and it gave them their highest ratings. Neither Kate or Jon were likeable at all when that happened but people liked the drama. When it was Kate by herself and yelling at her kids who were no longer cute babies, their was little of the original reasons left why people turned into the show and they didn't. With the Roloffs it became less and less about being a little person and all about their vacations and how great they were. Plus their eldest son's homophobic slurs on the internet didn't help endear them to the viewing public. I wonder what the backlash would have been if the Roloffs' now squashed subpoena against a blogger had been had the show still been on the air.

Everyone who watches 19K&C probably knows that this pregnancy ended in miscarriage. Its hard for some people to watch that happen and what viewer wants to get excited about a pregnancy they know ends in miscarriage? We all know how that plot ends. Plus there is nothing going on to keep people watching. There are no courtships or changes happening in the family. How many times can people watch the kids play or sing (badly). How many times can they watch the kids just running around before they switch the channel? Its happening more and more. Most people think its dangerous/stupid to have a baby at 45. Given Michelle's last two pregnancies, it appears less and less like blessings from God and more and more like a selfish and idiotic idea to other people who had rose coloured glasses when watching the show.

Plus I don't think TLC is just going to cancel the show and announce it as cancel. They will probably do what they did for K+8 and Little People where first it looks like it was the family's decision in their press releases and Facebook pages to those who aren't on sites like FJ or Gosselin's Without Pity or Spirit Wander, respectively. Then there is the last season and the editors have some fun.

I think we are getting close to the end. Ratings are down so companies won't buy ads or or will buy the ad space for less. The costs of filming goes up. Viewer reactions is getting more negative. I am hoping for a final season when TLC stops editing the Duggars to be all smiley, nice and sweet and let their true colours sign like they did in the last season of Kate Plus 8.

I think the SHOW may continue, but with the BATES as the family.............

I think that is possible, since the Bates have allowed their girls to attend fundy college at least so give the semblance of having a little more freedom and choice. They also have some variety in their sons, with Lawson's business and Nathan's ambitions to be a preacher. I also think the Bates would be more open to marrying off a girl (Erin, not Michaella) which would attract TLC with the promise of future ratings.

From a purely business/ratings perspective, the Duggars are fools for not marrying off some of their daughters.

TLC can stop filming and showing episodes whenever they want. It is the contract that is important. Kate and the Roloffs had alot of extras in their contracts besides so much per epsiode. I think Jimbob is not as greedy. I can see him being happy with TLC picking up the gas bill for the bus. I do not see the Duggars contract having bodyguards, first class flights and accomindations, spa treatments, tannng, hair etc. Kate and Jon's contract expired yesterday. Even thugh the show had been cancelled TLC still had to provide ceratin things like security to her till the contract was up.

I don't think TLC will let the Duggars go completely. Jimbob will also be willing to take whatever he can get. I can see TLc keeping them under contract for the next 5-10 years with minimal compensation and the right to pay them to have special episodes. TLC has invested 8 years in the Duggars. I can't see them walking away 100% and then 2 years from now something big happens and another network gets the rights.

If this is not the final season, I think TLC will not have another season till at least fall. It should be more like siser wives which takes 6 months off between seasons so there is something new to show.

It is interesting to see realitytvkids starting to post concerns about the Duggars. That website was pushing more then any other I saw to get Kate's kids off the air. They first ran a story about the fall into the orchestra pit and just recently ran one on Jubilee.

Archived