IGNORED

Multiplying and Numbers (Blog article about Quiverfull)

FloraDoraDolly

on the plus side, I think statistics show more people leave crazy cults like this than stay. So instead of breeding an army of believers who will turn the US into Awesome Fundamentalismland, they're breeding a bunch of people who are really going to resent organized religion.

Or so I hope.

Down side: The current unholy (word used intentionally) alliance between extreme conservative Christianity and extreme conservative politics.

Up side: From a family and personal viewpoint, quiverfull is playing out as unsustainable. More kids leave than stay. As an example, I know a rather large number of families that bought into the Gothard thing. Of the families I know personally, only 2 kids follow (even somewhat) the Gothard model and teachings. Some of the kids have turned far, far in the opposite direction, and the rest are either non-commital or now moderate mainline Christians. An FJ example of similar: Razingruth, Rachel, her adult brother IIRC, etc.

These people will not be breeding a future army of similar believers. It's just unsustainable.

Breeding the voting block

This is why we laugh over Rick Santorum, but may end up cursing and crying. They mean it. Maybe not THIS election, but unless those of more moderate beliefs start to get out their own vote in the numbers the far right is doing it WILL happen. Complacency is how things like that happen.

Breeding the voting block

This is why we laugh over Rick Santorum, but may end up cursing and crying. They mean it. Maybe not THIS election, but unless those of more moderate beliefs start to get out their own vote in the numbers the far right is doing it WILL happen. Complacency is how things like that happen.

THIS. I fear you are correct, and that one day in the not too distant future, the U.S. will become a theocracy. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

THIS. I fear you are correct, and that one day in the not too distant future, the U.S. will become a theocracy. :cry:

I second both of your opinions. Hitler was considered a bad joke in the early 1930's, even in Germany. Yet he rose to power with only 33% of the vote, because his enemies either didn't vote, or were too busy savaging each other to form a coalition and keep him out.

Those advocating the breeding of a voting block are racist nutjobs, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

One of the perverse effects of the Pill is that it has caused people who tend to be more feminist and liberal reproduce at a slower rate than those who are anti-feminist and more fundie.

In the Jewish community, we are already seeing demographic shifts. Here's one article and chart that went viral:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/article ... renBeJews/

Now, the chart IS overly simplistic. It doesn't acknowledge that this is a model, since we haven't really had 4 generations yet that were clearly defined this way. It's only in recent years that the birthrates and intermarriage rates were so starkly different. It also doesn't acknowledge that pundits were previously predicting that Orthodoxy was about to die out. Mathematical models don't account for wild cards - and everything from mass immigration to North America to the Holocaust to the state of Israel to the Pill to protection for religious minorities to social benefits to the idea of outreach was a wild card. So, while I can confirm that I see explosive Orthodox growth and Conservative stagnation here, I don't dare to predict what events may occur in the future.

She speculated whether the Duggars might have some kind of agreement with ATI. Now I'm wondering if that's why the kids have iphones and better clothes these days. They're a walking, talking, advertisement for ATI.

I second both of your opinions. Hitler was considered a bad joke in the early 1930's, even in Germany. Yet he rose to power with only 33% of the vote, because his enemies either didn't vote, or were too busy savaging each other to form a coalition and keep him out.

Hitler was given the Chancellorship, and from there it all went to hell.

No fears. The fundamentalists and dominionists don't have a chance in hell of taking over the educational system and colleges and that's about what it would take. And as long as its understood amongst most people that you have to attend college to get a decent job so you can make a living, eat and put a roof over your own head etc, theocratic theories won't catch on. They won't catch on as long as kids can be taught how to do research the right way at college. Dominionism is a fringe movement, it was fringe when it started and it's fringe now. PLENTY of homeschooled kids and kids with bible-beating parents go to college, even more conservative colleges, yet end up rejecting their parents' nutty teachings.

And then there's the internet. Telling kids NO about something will only strengthen their resolve to get access to that something at the first opportunity, and conservatives can't fight against the fact repository that is the online universe. They'll seek out opposing viewpoints, contrary websites, and banned books just because they were forbidden from doing so for so long. By keeping their kids in the dark, they're virtually guaranteeing that the kids will RUN, not walk, towards anything that resembles forbidden (en)light(enment).

The answer to Dominionism is more education. More kids going to college, having access to reputable research techniques, and access to databases of fact, science, and reason. There will always be plenty of weak-minded or otherwise mentally ill types who will fall for kookery, conspiracies, idiocy, etc but I don't see crazy catching on in any real numbers. There are very few holocaust deniers, 9/11 conspiracy theorists, people who believe the earth doesn't revolve around the sun, we didn't walk on the moon, people who fall into cults, etc. They're there but the strong minded ones given the resources to learn how to think will not be sucked into the crazy that is the radical right. At least, not for long.

This made me just have a thought about knocking on doors and handing out pamphlets inviting people to local colleges, or tracts about the scientific method. LOL.

Archived