IGNORED

We don' need no steenkin' Muslims

Kitten

From The "Thinking" Housewife:

There is no need to bear ill will toward Muslims. But Americans have no moral obligation to accept them as fellow citizens. Let Muslims practice their faith and ideology in their home countries.

(Bold mine)

Not sure what she's "thinking," but it's certainly not about the facts. In this piece, she's going on about a recent PSA that encourages people to accept AMERICAN Muslims for what they are - CITIZENS who deserve the same respect and acceptance as citizens of any other faith.

Apparently, if you are Muslim, you cannot possibly be American or a citizen of her country. Even if you were born here.

Ugh.

I've come across a lot of prejudice against Muslims. After 9-11, many people felt justified in hating an entire group of people.

There is a lot of prejudice against Muslims.

So true. I wonder if anyone who orchestrated the terrorist attacks took the time to realize that they would impede the growth and acceptance of Islam throughout the Western world.

I love how some people clump all Muslims into the "extremist" groups. I get called a "whore" and been told numerous times that I'm going to Hell for dressing immodestly by extreme Christians but I don't go claiming all Christians are like that. Someone needs to throw a reality brick at that woman.

Good point! And then she can go practice her religion in her home country, which I bet is not the good ol' U.S. of A. And we'll bring back native peoples' tribal religions, since this is, after all, their home country.

So true. I wonder if anyone who orchestrated the terrorist attacks took the time to realize that they would impede the growth and acceptance of Islam throughout the Western world.

Those who orchestrated the terrorist attacks had no interest in the Western world reaching a peaceful settlement with Islam. They were only interested in the effect the Western world was having on Islam. They believed (and many still believe) that the ideals of Islam are entirely incompatible with the Western world, so there is no hope for tolerance by one group for the other.

Luckily, most Muslims do not align themselves with that theology, just as most Christians don't align themselves with many of the fundies we discuss here.

Has the Stinking Housewife gotten more obsessed with race lately, or has she always been like this and I just now noticed it because I'm reading her icky blog more? And I tend to believe that in the Stinking Housewife's case Muslim=Non-white folk=bad and scary.

WTH is wrong with her? Was she dropped on her head at birth or something? I don't get her line of thinking.

And her followers. What was up with the comment about not accepting anyone into their nation who isn't white?

Guest Anonymous

Wow -- how did I miss this??? Good catch!!!

Also, I would say that it makes no sense NOT to welcome Muslims as follow Americans, given that religious freedom and the constitutional prohibitions against the government establishing a religion are integral to the whole POINT of being American.

She also seems curiously insensitive to the fact that her own co-religionists (i.e. her fellow Catholics) of earlier decades were considered to be threatening and un-American. You know, the idea of welcoming individuals of all religions to our country benefits everyone. Given the divisiveness and factionalism of most religions, there is never any guarantee that one's OWN religion will be the dominant one.

I don't even know where to begin. Ok, how about this. Has she ever heard of a little thing called the 1st amendment? Thanks to that, we have every right to practice Islam! We have the right to pray 5 times a day, we have every right to wear hijab or niqab or (for the men) grow beards. If the non-thinking housewife doesn't like the fact that the constitution gives us those rights, then she can go live elsewhere.

And in case she's forgotten, the USA was built by Muslims! Many of the slaves who were brought over from Africa were Muslim. Even Thomas Jefferson read the Quran. Islam has a long history in this country.

I am so sick of all the hatred towards Islam. I was born and raised in the USA but you know what? It is getting hard to stay in the USA. When I can't even leave my house without having some asshole think it's OK to come up and start swearing or hitting me, it is soo hard to stay in the USA. Garbage on the internet (such as the non-thinking housewife) just makes things worse.

I don't even know where to begin. Ok, how about this. Has she ever heard of a little thing called the 1st amendment? Thanks to that, we have every right to practice Islam! We have the right to pray 5 times a day, we have every right to wear hijab or niqab or (for the men) grow beards. If the non-thinking housewife doesn't like the fact that the constitution gives us those rights, then she can go live elsewhere.

And in case she's forgotten, the USA was built by Muslims! Many of the slaves who were brought over from Africa were Muslim. Even Thomas Jefferson read the Quran. Islam has a long history in this country.

I am so sick of all the hatred towards Islam. I was born and raised in the USA but you know what? It is getting hard to stay in the USA. When I can't even leave my house without having some asshole think it's OK to come up and start swearing or hitting me, it is soo hard to stay in the USA. Garbage on the internet (such as the non-thinking housewife) just makes things worse.

She probably doesn't study history that deeply. Also in some parts of New Mexico, some people are descendants of Muslims who came with the Spanish Conquistadors. Those Muslims later converted to Catholicism.

Sunnichick I feel for you. I have a Muslim friend who got bashed last year on a message board during the proposal for the mosque near Ground Zero. She was in tears when she told me what happend. I felt bad for her because the people who were bashing her were always crying whenever someone made certain remarks about Christianity.

Keep hope Sunnichick. A lot of people aren't too educated on Islam and they lump all groups of Muslims together. More people need to be educated on Islam.

From The "Thinking" Housewife:

There is no need to bear ill will toward Muslims. But Americans have no moral obligation to accept them as fellow citizens. Let Muslims practice their faith and ideology in their home countries.

(Bold mine)

Not sure what she's "thinking," but it's certainly not about the facts. In this piece, she's going on about a recent PSA that encourages people to accept AMERICAN Muslims for what they are - CITIZENS who deserve the same respect and acceptance as citizens of any other faith.

Apparently, if you are Muslim, you cannot possibly be American or a citizen of her country. Even if you were born here.

Ugh.

Fine, then she can go practice her religion in HER home country. My people were pushed off their land, they were oppressed, they were slaughtered and pushed into slavery. And their children were taken from them so they could be taught the white mans ways because our ways were wrong (which is why my family became Methodist). My people can have their land back (We'll take Georgia back, thank you very much!!!). This, of course, is directed only at the stinking housewife.

Sunnichick, I am so sorry you get put through that.

For what it is worth (and I know it is not much) I always make a point to make eye contact and smile when I see Muslim families shopping in Wal Mart. (and moms nursing in public, and my fellow gays and lesbians, and cute babies..... maybe I'm just a smiling fool !)

My Muslim neighbor is practicing his religion in his home / own country. He was born in the United States to parents whore were also born in the United States. All are citizens of this country, no other. His wife was born in the United States to her naturalized citizen parents. They, too, are practicing their religion in their own country. I sat with all of them Monday night as a group of us neighbors wandered over to a perfect patch of grass in our complex for viewing the village fireworks.

The stupidity and bigotry from the housewife never fails to astound me. It doesn't surprise me, but it always astounds.

Where I live, the mosque and a temple join together and house the homeless during Christmas week so the Christians can have the week off. (Holy Week too.)

Sunni chick, FWIW, I am very sorry for the prejudice you have experienced. I hope that you dont give up on your country.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I've learned something new. I had never heard before that there were any Muslims among the African slaves brought to America.

I am also curious about Muslims who came over with the Spanish conquistadors. Surely the conquistadors came over after the the Reconquest of Spain from the Muslims was completed in 1492 and after the Inquisition would have made practicing Islam illegal in Spain?

I do not understand that blog at all.

And this one is just bizarre.

I was not aware that citizenship was dependant on faith, and that holding any particular faith was grounds for denial of citizenship. Ummm....just....I don't even have words.

Even if her issue is ethnicity (and that seems to be an issue for her), Islam isn't one. It's a religion. If a white American converts to Islam, they *are* in their "home country". What then?

Along those lines (the ethnicity of Muslims/white Muslims/American Muslims) can I just hugely recommend the book Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers? It's excellent and a quick nonfiction read, about a Syrian-American Muslim man, his white-American Muslim wife and his detainment during Hurricane Katrina.

Fine, then she can go practice her religion in HER home country. My people were pushed off their land, they were oppressed, they were slaughtered and pushed into slavery. And their children were taken from them so they could be taught the white mans ways because our ways were wrong (which is why my family became Methodist). My people can have their land back (We'll take Georgia back, thank you very much!!!). This, of course, is directed only at the stinking housewife.

Hey, are you Cherokee or Choctaw by chance? Those are the 2 nations that I decend from. I also agree wholly with you and that would mean that I would have never have been born if my ancesters had such unthinking veiws as the unthinking househarpie.

Well, I've learned something new. I had never heard before that there were any Muslims among the African slaves brought to America.

I am also curious about Muslims who came over with the Spanish conquistadors. Surely the conquistadors came over after the the Reconquest of Spain from the Muslims was completed in 1492 and after the Inquisition would have made practicing Islam illegal in Spain?

I knew it but still don't understand/know the numbers of how many people were Muslim at that time.

@Sunnichick, I am so sorry that this has ever hapened to you.

I'm returning to my home country this weekend - the far off and exotic land of wisconsin. I plan to partake in my quaint, unamerican native customs by picketing the governor's mansion to express my displeasure at the gutting of collective bargaining for public employees.

Ladypuglover: Actually, Creek. It did a lot of digging to find out, because my great-grandmother lived in Indiana but her mother was born in North Carolina and her grandma was born in GA.

She also seems curiously insensitive to the fact that her own co-religionists (i.e. her fellow Catholics) of earlier decades were considered to be threatening and un-American. You know, the idea of welcoming individuals of all religions to our country benefits everyone. Given the divisiveness and factionalism of most religions, there is never any guarantee that one's OWN religion will be the dominant one.

Wait a minute, she's Catholic? Excuse me.... :violence-hammer:

I had to block one of my uncle's friends on Facebook because of his blatant ignorance and hatred towards Muslims. Uncle had posted one of those things on his facebook wall about "fly the American flag on your page if you don't think the Muslims should be allowed to build their mosque at ground zero!" Usually, I try to ignore my conservative family members' biases, but this time I couldn't keep quiet and, being the hippie dippie tree hugger that I am, pointed out the irony of flying the American flag, which is a symbol of all things this country stands for, like FREEDOM OF RELIGION, in support of DENYING a group of people this right. Uncle never commented, but oh, one of his psycho friends did, who I assumed was someone he knew from the mega-church he belongs to; Uncle converted from Catholic to some sort of Baptist (not fundie, as far as I can tell, they have a Christian school attached to the church) a while ago. Usually, if I don't know someone on his facebook page, it's a fair bet that it's one of his church friends. I tried to reason with this guy, who came at me with all the stereotypical "They want to KILL US ALL!" crap. When I pointed out that it wasn't right to lump all Muslims with a bunch of extremists, like it wasn't right to lump all Christians with the crazies who kill abortion doctors, he came back with something about "The koran tells them to kill all infidels!" and some other things that I've blocked from my memory because it was just such blatant HATE, it had me in tears that someone could be so hateful! I responded with something along the lines of I don't know much about the Qur'an (yes, I used that spelling), but I was a Christian which I assumed he was, too, and my Bible teaches me to love everyone, even if they want to kill me, and then I blocked him so I never had to read his drivel on my uncle's page again.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to thread jack. It just, still burns me up - and I'm not Muslim.

Nothing2CHere, I am proud to say my nickname from my BIL is Jihad Jane, and has been since all the hate and bullshit people were spewing over that community center which isn't a mosque that isn't even at Ground Zero. We fought tooth and nail over his FB ignorance and he finally gave up and started calling me that. :lol:

I'm not even going to pretend to be outraged that the Non-Thinking Housewife is posting such dribble. S/he is a waste and it's one blog I can't bother with.

Archived