IGNORED

Virginia ultrasound law PASSES

Three and Done

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/29/us-abortion-virginia-idUSTRE81S0DR20120229

Well, they got it passed by removing the transvaginal ultrasound requirement. How nice of them to include an exemption "for women whose pregnancy resulting from rape or incest is reported to police".

Sickening.

:(

Yeah, because it's okay to penetrate somebody's vagina without their consent as long as they've never been raped. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lot worse and more triggering for women who have been raped, but that doesn't mean it's all sunshine and rainbows if they haven't been. Not to mention, what if a woman had been raped in the past, but not with that particular pregnancy? It's still utterly disgusting to force a woman to undergo something that might be so awful and triggering.

NOOOO! Glad I don't live in Virginia, but that does not matter. No woman should be subject to that. WHo cares why she is having an abortion? I don't get why it is anyone's business. I really can't stand these pro-life Republicans who claim to want less government, but force invasive procedures and government control in people's sex lives and reproductive organs. Does not compute.

Yeah, because it's okay to penetrate somebody's vagina without their consent as long as they've never been raped. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lot worse and more triggering for women who have been raped, but that doesn't mean it's all sunshine and rainbows if they haven't been. Not to mention, what if a woman had been raped in the past, but not with that particular pregnancy? It's still utterly disgusting to force a woman to undergo something that might be so awful and triggering.

I think it's not required to be transvaginal now. But it still will have to be in most cases.

:angry-cussing:

My guess is that women make up more than 50% of the voters in VA.

If this is not acceptable to them - and I can't imagine why it would be - they need to do something about it. And stop voting for right-wing assholes in the first place.

NOOOO! Glad I don't live in Virginia, but that does not matter. No woman should be subject to that. WHo cares why she is having an abortion? I don't get why it is anyone's business. I really can't stand these pro-life Republicans who claim to want less government, but force invasive procedures and government control in people's sex lives and reproductive organs. Does not compute.

Pro-life Republican MEN forcing invasive procedures and government control on WOMEN.

I find myself wondering if a rape victim has to take a copy of the police report with her to the abortion provider to claim their generous "exemption".

I think it's not required to be transvaginal now. But it still will have to be in most cases.

:angry-cussing:

They removed the transvaginal requirement after a huge public outcry.

Pro-life Republican MEN forcing invasive procedures and government control on WOMEN.

I find myself wondering if a rape victim has to take a copy of the police report with her to the abortion provider to claim their generous "exemption".

You can't tell me that some of these fundie women aren't all for these procedures and control of others sex lives too. I was also thinking of traditional family laws that exclude homosexual or bi-sex men so that's why I said people instead of women. This policy though and the anti-birth control is all about (mostly) men attempting to control the lives of women. That's not even a question. All these recent ideas and rulings regarding bc and abortion are all about trying to control women.

Oh, your other statement-I have no doubt she would have to "prove" she could be exempt.

A friend of mine from Virginia (who is so left-wing he thinks all women should have to go through one abortion "so they know how easy it really is") says that stuff like this is par for the course there, which is why he left. Yeah, HE. We're more or less acquaintances at this point, really.

Guest Anonymous
A friend of mine from Virginia (who is so left-wing he thinks all women should have to go through one abortion "so they know how easy it really is") says that stuff like this is par for the course there, which is why he left. Yeah, HE. We're more or less acquaintances at this point, really.

I'm having a super difficult time believing someone actually said that.

Your friend sounds like a dick. How does he know how easy abortion really is? Has he had any? I'm pretty sure this position has nothing to do with being left-wing; it's more about being an insensitive and ignorant asshole.

A friend of mine from Virginia (who is so left-wing he thinks all women should have to go through one abortion "so they know how easy it really is")

How is that being "left wing"?

Sounds more like he's just nuts.

You can't tell me that some of these fundie women aren't all for these procedures and control of others sex lives too. I was also thinking of traditional family laws that exclude homosexual or bi-sex men so that's why I said people instead of women. This policy though and the anti-birth control is all about (mostly) men attempting to control the lives of women. That's not even a question. All these recent ideas and rulings regarding bc and abortion are all about trying to control women.

Oh, your other statement-I have no doubt she would have to "prove" she could be exempt.

Good point - I had not considered fundie women or other exclusionary circumstances involving men in relation to this issue specifically.

I'm having a super difficult time believing someone actually said that.

why are we listening to men's opinions again?

Good point - I had not considered fundie women or other exclusionary circumstances involving men in relation to this issue specifically.

I was thinking outside of this law so my fault for not being specific, but yeah, it's mostly pro-life Republican men trying to control women. Especially with this law. We aren't in disagreement.

Archived