IGNORED

Why are so many fundies insistent that the KJV is best?

SpeakNow

I'm guessing that if they use the bible written in the original Hebrew and Greek, they fear it might take them back to the old Catholic/Orthodox Church that they fought against since the Reformation. Some Protestant fundies still believe that the Catholic Church is the 'Whore of Babylon' and still practicing 'thin veiled Paganism' :roll:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Misquoting Jesus is a good place to start, nice summary laid out especially for laymen. http://www.amazon.com/Misquoting-Jesus- ... 0060738170

I really recommend for anyone interested in the KJV, the book "God's Secretaries". This an EXCELLENT work, showing just how much corruption entered the text.

For anything related to Bible compilation try: Metzger's "The Text of the New Testament".

I like Bart Ehrman too, but he's the sort I'd read after Metzger. Get the technical out of the way first.

Thanks!

AND...I forgot to say that the first English translation the the Bible was the Wycliff NT translation. Then you've got the Tyndale...Cloverdale...Geneva (those two might be out of order, I'm doing a billion things while typing this...)

And way down in 1611 you get the KJV.

There's gotta be a website where you can look all this stuff up.

FLUFFY OUT.

Thanks Fluffy, I assumed it wasn't the case that KJV was first, but it's nice to have the facts to back that up!

ETA Raine, thanks for the link too.

What I've always found interesting is that the Geneva version was the one actually used by the Puritans, Pilgrims, etc and many early Americans were very opposed to replacing it with the KJV when it came out. Of course, the fundies would hate it because it says Adam and Eve made themselves "breeches", rather than aprons, out of fig leaves and they just can't have a bible that says the first woman wore britches.

That is interesting, because Vision Forum used to sell the Geneva Bible.

Yup, they still do!

http://www.visionforumDOTcom/browse/pro ... va%2bbible

That is interesting, because Vision Forum used to sell the Geneva Bible.

Yup, they still do!

http://www.visionforumDOTcom/browse/pro ... va%2bbible

Funny. I just checked VF, and I have the version they sell (same cover at least, published by Tolle Lege Press)- it says "they made themselves breeches". I wonder if anyone has realized that or questioned it yet. There are some more modern updated versions of the "Geneva Study Bible" that change do change the word breeches to aprons, and now I wonder if that was done to please the skirts/dresses only types.

Archived