IGNORED

Sherry's Pastor Takes On A Female Missionary

debrand

I found this link through Sherry's blog. I don't know if it is her pastor or just one that she admires.

A female missionary called the pastor to debate him on his position toward female missionaries. He is against them.

With a fairly good assumption that I knew what she was going to say, I asked what she had been doing on the mission field. She had been home-schooling the missionary's children so that his wife could devote herself to the ministry. BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER! Remember the quoted passage above? So...this lady I was talking to was following the I Cor. 7 passage, caring for the things of the Lord. And she was doing this in order that a married missionary's wife could IGNORE the I Cor. 7 passage and care for the things of the Lord instead of the things of her home and husband. I asked her how much sense that made and she had no answer.

Perhaps the husband wanted his wife to help him the field. Perhaps the wife felt a calling to spend more time in the field. Or perhaps, the wife wanted a career and substituted being a missionary for a career. Regardless, if the family is healthy and happy, what does it matter?

I don't get how the missionary wife was ignoring her husband or home. She might have spent a good portion of her time with her children. Chances are if her husband, though, left the kids for long periods of time-like Sherry's husband- that would not have bothered the pastor. Does that mean that women are more important than fathers? If so, why would a woman ever get married?

I also found out that she would teach Sunday School in these national churches. What church in America pays Sunday School teachers? None that I know of, but we will pay to support and send one to another country?

I do not agree with evangelical missionaries, male or female. However, I don't get why the same argument wouldn't apply to men as well. It is senseless to pay to send men overseas when you can use them as volunters in church. Afterall, there are many heathens right here in the states.

I

also found out that due to her help (schooling children, teaching Sunday School, secretarial, etc), the overworked male missionaries on the field are able to get more done

Fair enough. Granted, it is sexist that because of her sex, she is regulated to the secretary, childcare type work but her presence probably does allow for the others to get more done

I asked her, "Wouldn't it make more sense for churches to support and send another man for the same money they were sending her, so that the overworked male missionaries could get some genuine relief?"

Um...no. So, they have to spend more money to send a new missionary because this guy doesn't want someone with a vagina working outside the home? How stupid. It makes no sense to turn away people with talent or drive simply because you don't like the fact that they have a vagina instead of a penis. Also, does he think those guys are going to do the unromantic hard work that this woman is doing?

How much more work of the Lord would get done if all the female missionary money went to qualified men?

Probably a lot less.

I am going to stop beating around the bush when they call and just try to wake them up to the fact that their wood, hay and stubble is going to burn up one day

What? Is he saying that god sends people to hell because they don't accept the role that this pastor has decided that they should? What a jerk.

This was Sherry's response in the comment section

SherryApr 23, 2010 06:11 AM

This is so exciting! I think it is great that you have taken the time to share the truth with these female missionaries! I am sure they have never heard this before! And I appreciate the part about wood hay and stubble, so true and so sad! Thanks!

Sherry believes that a young woman-like her daughter-who is sincerly doing what she believes is right will go to hell because she works outside the home.

andofasoundmind.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-female-missionaries.html

Just in case you didn't see the link at the bottom of the long post. He has a lot of interesting articles on his site.

How much more work of the Lord would get done if all the female missionary money went to qualified men?

Wow. Just WOW. Were all these people dropped on their heads as babies? I just dont understand how you can believe that there is this omnipotent being that loves you and created YOU (not just a whole bunch of humans - involved in YOUR creation) but that you have such little worth because you lack a ding a ling.

OT - but does a smaller penis mean that god loved you less considering its your dick that gives you worth?

Quote:

I have given this prayerful consideration and have concluded that he has a point. We need to export more of these bozos so they will be out of the country. Meanwhile, women should retire from spending our precious resources promoting male-dominated, douchebag religions. I'm very sorry for the other countries who will have to deal with our toxic waste. Perhaps they will be moved to deport them, thus providing them with a permanent career of speaker's fees for talks on how they were "persecuted."

Quote:

I have given this prayerful consideration and have concluded that he has a point. We need to export more of these bozos so they will be out of the country. Meanwhile, women should retire from spending our precious resources promoting male-dominated, douchebag religions. I'm very sorry for the other countries who will have to deal with our toxic waste. Perhaps they will be moved to deport them, thus providing them with a permanent career of speaker's fees for talks on how they were "persecuted."

Love it, but the bolded part especially. If the posters who've spent so much time here the last few days defending their patriarchal religions took this advice and stopped working from the inside in the hopes that things might change some day, year, century, things finally would change, and in a hurry.

My goodness, this man's site is full of crazy sexism. I am going to start another thread because he has an article on a different subject but it covers the same offensive views of women

Guest Anonymous

Wow. Just WOW. Were all these people dropped on their heads as babies? I just dont understand how you can believe that there is this omnipotent being that loves you and created YOU (not just a whole bunch of humans - involved in YOUR creation) but that you have such little worth because you lack a ding a ling.

Unfortunately when you have the men lead, women submit, patriarchal model drummed into you from childhood, it's easier to buy it than not. When I was a child I really believed that God loved me less because he made me a girl. Or that he made me a girl because he loved me less - either way it sucked and was hurtful.

What I don't get is how you can grow up that way, know the damage it causes, and then turn around and do it to your own kids.

Added bonus! When they're off on their adventures they cant knock up their poor wives!

What about cultures where the women aren't allowed to speak to unrelated men? Oh, that's right--women need a headship to get access to God, anyway, so there's no point in speaking to them. :| Dumbass.

Perhaps the husband wanted his wife to help him the field. Perhaps the wife felt a calling to spend more time in the field. Or perhaps, the wife wanted a career and substituted being a missionary for a career. Regardless, if the family is healthy and happy, what does it matter?

Perhaps the wife spoke the local language, while the younger woman was just learning it.

Perhaps the wife was familiar with local customs, and understood how to be a more effective missionary because of that.

Perhaps the wife was in a far better position to understand and minister to the needs of local women. It's possible that local gender relations and cultural mores would make it either difficult or impossible for a male missionary to interact directly with local women, so his wife's work would be crucial to the mission's success.

Of course, the pastor would probably dismiss that, saying that women should learn about Christianity from their husbands and fathers. But if he did, he'd either be willfully ignoring or showing his ignorance of the fact that in the early days of Christianity, women were among the most avid early adopters, due to their subordinate social status. Women were among the earliest missionaries and church-planters. So it stands to reason that in countries where women are at a tremendous disadvantage, focusing missionary efforts on them would be more effective. And to do that? You'd need skilled female missionaries.

Look at this--I'm not even a Christian, and look askance at missionary efforts, and even I can come up with a solid argument for sending women into the mission field. Crazy! But then again, what do I know? I'm just some crazy feminist who thinks women actually matter...

I found this link through Sherry's blog. I don't know if it is her pastor or just one that she admires.

This was Sherry's response in the comment section

Sherry believes that a young woman-like her daughter-who is sincerly doing what she believes is right will go to hell because she works outside the home.

the wood hay and stubble quote is generally not used to refer to people burning in hell. People usually use that to refer to work that is based on what they perceive to be false religion, false doctrine, etc. The work will not last, because it was not built on a firm foundation of truth, etc. The work burns, not the person (necessarily).

Quote:

I also found out that she would teach Sunday School in these national churches. What church in America pays Sunday School teachers? None that I know of, but we will pay to support and send one to another country?

In Reform and Conservative synagogues, the teachers are paid. The religious school principal is paid. The rabbi is paid.

Archived