IGNORED

Could it be that Jeb Bates has Down's Syndrome?

3 is enough

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda of thought one of the boys might be hard-of-hearing since he speaks with a lisp, but maybe just never got real speech therapy. I do hope Jeb is the last baby for Kelly & GIl though. Time for the kids to get married and pop out "grandbabbies"

It weirds me out that the picture of Carlin, Josie, Addallee and Ellie is captioned "Best Friends". Carlin is a teenager (and isn't Josie also?) and I don't think Addallee and Ellie are more than 5/6. I know that outside friends are evil and all that, but honestly I don't think it's a good thing for a teenager to be "best friends" with a 6 year old. Bleh. I know we're all about liberation of Jinger (and Hannie), but can we maybe grab Carlin or some younger Bateses on the way out?

I think that post was written about Michaella. Everyone has a purpose in life, Michaella, and yours is to be our family laundress! You need to accept God's plan for your life and get back in that laundry room!

I hink perhaps the post is referring to FJ

That, or it's referring to Carlin or Josie. They'd be at about the age where body image issues hit. Or they've realized that their lives being future B'slaves is going to suck, and they want a way out (through a scholarship like the one Erin was offered, possibly) and they feel pretty lonely. The latter is likely why the little girls are in the pics and the last pic is labelled "Best Friends." You don't need any outside friends or fun or a fancy education when you have buddies to look after.

I think that post was written about Michaella. Everyone has a purpose in life, Michaella, and yours is to be our family laundress! You need to accept God's plan for your life and get back in that laundry room!

Why wouldn't they have Michaella in the picture, though, if it was about her?

BabyKay is "normal" (there seriously has to be a better way to phrase that!)

Developmentally normal, maybe? Temporarily able-bodied? (The use of the adjective "temporarily" is supposed to make everybody remember that if they live long enough they'll get very old and need more assistance, and that's barring accidents and illness.) Typical? "BabyKay does not, as far as we are aware, suffer from any disorders"?

At any rate, there's nothing wrong with normal. It's not a judgment call, it's a lucky fact - there's nothing ailing your kid, and they've got no special challenges.

It weirds me out that the picture of Carlin, Josie, Addallee and Ellie is captioned "Best Friends". Carlin is a teenager (and isn't Josie also?) and I don't think Addallee and Ellie are more than 5/6. I know that outside friends are evil and all that, but honestly I don't think it's a good thing for a teenager to be "best friends" with a 6 year old. Bleh. I know we're all about liberation of Jinger (and Hannie), but can we maybe grab Carlin or some younger Bateses on the way out?

Carlin, Katie, and Josie, are my favorites of the bates kids :D The three Musketeers like Hannie Jenny and Jordyn <3

"Excessive amniotic fluid" was Kelly's revisionist hogwash for meconium aspiration.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001596.htm

I'm familiar with it, my daughter aspirated meconium prior to delivery. She was treated with IV antibiotics for five days after her birth. No other interventions were necessary.

I don't understand how Kelly made the leap from excessive amniotic fluid to meconium aspiration, they are two different things.

I don't see anything. If anything, it will pop up later. Some things are not always easily detected at birth. Sevy has sensory issues which were not noticeable from birth until fairly recently, and we currently are trying to wade through that issue, and she is nearly 6 years old. We are just lucky that we were aware that she MIGHT end up with a few issues later in life if it didn't pop up immediately after birth. If that is the case with the Bateses, I do hope they take action as soon as they can, even if it is just a suspicion. It pays off to be prepared (at least it was, in our case).

She is the Bates kid I feel the most sorry for. Gosh, what an awful existence.... you know they'll never marry her off, her laundry skillz are too valuable to them.

Well her and whoever the one boy is who gives them all his money. They'll never let him leave either, he's their nest egg.

Oh and Erin, she's like their golden hen, gotta keep her around until fundie royalty comes a knockin' and they can use the marriage to their benefit.

My middle child was born with Down syndrome. She passed away from severe pulmonary complications as an infant. At birth, we had no idea she had Down syndrome. To me, it wasn't obvious ... to the doctors, it was. In hindsight, I've now seen enough pictures of babies shortly after birth with Down syndrome and now see that she had some of the tell-tale characteristics (the upslanted eyes, small & low-set ears, singular palmar crease, etc.). In looking at the pictures of Jeb, I see none of these. Of course, Down syndrome is called a syndrome because a person with it can have some of the characteristics, but not others. So, it can be difficult to tell just from looking at an infant.

I wondered where Katie was in that picture... they've got the two sisters either side of her so I can't see why she's been missed out?

I was wondering that too.. she looks so much like Katie if often think they are twins.

She is the Bates kid I feel the most sorry for. Gosh, what an awful existence.... you know they'll never marry her off, her laundry skillz are too valuable to them.

Well her and whoever the one boy is who gives them all his money. They'll never let him leave either, he's their nest egg.

Oh and Erin, she's like their golden hen, gotta keep her around until fundie royalty comes a knockin' and they can use the marriage to their benefit.

No mention of the kids' feelings or desires. Just so depressing. I

'm normally not one to point out someone's weight, but she has put on some weight since the ABC special. She's rarely in pics that are posted on their site. If she is, it's always dimly lit (like Jeb in the NICU) or she's way off on the side behind someone. Poor Lawson, who probably works his ass off, and then is guilted into giving his earnings to keep his siblings from starving.

Gil and Kelly are so selfish. They were able to decide to date each other. They didn't court, so i don't understand why all of a sudden it's not ok for their kids to choose who they want to see.

I reread their post, and I thought, well, maybe things are not so perfect behind their closed doors. I doubt their upcoming special will address anything that isn't "sweet".

Whenever I read the name Gil Bates, my brain autocorrects to Bill Gates. lmao. The two could not be more different.

Agreed. Carlin is about 14 now, and Addee is 6 at the most. I thought that whole "photo shoot" was a little odd. Why take 4 random kids, put them in semi-matching clothes and go take pics of them in the woods for no reason? They're pretty little girls, but I don't really understand the entry and how the pics go with it :?

When it comes to blog photography, there is nothing I dislike more than a poorly edited, poorly constructed "photoshoot". I'd rather see candid pictures (even with "awful" flash!) than that. Those girls look awkward and it's sad that they don't really have friends.

Developmentally normal, maybe? Temporarily able-bodied? (The use of the adjective "temporarily" is supposed to make everybody remember that if they live long enough they'll get very old and need more assistance, and that's barring accidents and illness.) Typical? "BabyKay does not, as far as we are aware, suffer from any disorders"?

At any rate, there's nothing wrong with normal. It's not a judgment call, it's a lucky fact - there's nothing ailing your kid, and they've got no special challenges.

It's "typically developing."

My middle child was born with Down syndrome. She passed away from severe pulmonary complications as an infant. At birth, we had no idea she had Down syndrome. To me, it wasn't obvious ... to the doctors, it was. In hindsight, I've now seen enough pictures of babies shortly after birth with Down syndrome and now see that she had some of the tell-tale characteristics (the upslanted eyes, small & low-set ears, singular palmar crease, etc.). In looking at the pictures of Jeb, I see none of these. Of course, Down syndrome is called a syndrome because a person with it can have some of the characteristics, but not others. So, it can be difficult to tell just from looking at an infant.

That must have been a difficult time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing with us.

Don't forget, the Bateses are teevee savvy now and can't reveal EVERYTHING on their blog anymore, especially if it's connected to any problems with the baby. Everyone knew she had the baby, so they had to go public with THAT and his hospital stay.

BUT, his birth is also part of their special, so they could well be withholding info (save a possible oblique reference on their blog that could just be a "praise Jeebus, he made it!") until the show airs. Since they don't get out as much as the Duggars, and nary an instagram to speak of, it's easier for them to remain isolated and tight-lipped if anything is wrong.

{{{ShellyWelly}}}

I am so very sorry about the loss of your baby.

"Excessive amniotic fluid" was Kelly's revisionist hogwash for meconium aspiration.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001596.htm

I don't like the Bates. They act sweet but they believe in some pretty unpleasant things...and they don't feed their horses enough.

That being said I am not at all sure that they are lying about the new baby's hospital stay. From what I have read on the blog - the baby did very well and was out of ICU quickly. This sounds more like transient tachypnea of the newborn. This is a transient medical condition that has an excellent prognosis. Babies with this problem have lungs that look "wet" and I can easily understand how Kelly might have equated this with "excessive amniotic fluid".

on another note: ShellyWelly, I am so sorry about the loss of your baby

It's "typically developing."

Oh, you're right. I knew there was a commonly used phrase that was slipping my mind.

ShellyWelly, I too sympathize with you on the loss of your baby.

Archived