IGNORED

Josie In Danger!

Guest Digger

I might have overlooked this if it was just one photo, but two!!! Someone please have the brains to take a fork away from a teething baby!!! :shock:

Deleted.....

Egad! You again?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's where it's from ;) That movie was on TV this afternoon, actually.

tumblr_lt4tx1HpZJ1qlf53do2_500.gif

ugh love that movie. and I just so happen to be watching LL's E! THS

So I'm seeing a therapist tomorrow for the first time and I feel like painting my nails now. Is Bon Bon in magenta acceptable? I work in direct care at a day services program, so I usually dress on a slumpy/frumpy side because I don't want nicer clothes to get paint or other ickiness on them. I figure nail polish tonight and this subtle lip tint will make me look polished enough.

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/fa ... ith-a-kiss

Nervous because a professor suggested that all MSW students see a counselor before they start field work and I had some bad depression in high school and college. I want answers and support but I'm afraid of what I'll hear.

I hope things go well. Don't forget that many, many people suffer from depression at some point in their lives. I imagine the "sensitive" gene that leads people to social work might make them even more susceptible. I hope your therapist is understanding, and yes, I think magenta is appropriate!

A tangential question about this (I really don't mean to hijack this great nail polish thread, but it came to mind and isn't worth starting a new thread)... I have this "friend" who is just batshit crazy, I mean self-destructive, stalkerish, occasionally psychotic, and always extremely needy and insecure. He has been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons at least 8 or 9 times.

He recently emailed me to tell me he is applying to graduate programs for social work so that he can become a therapist. I haven't responded to his email because I don't know what to say to him; if I said "DON'T DO IT" he'd just ignore me and get petulant. Should I be trying to report him to some social worker boards or something? I can't imagine anyone who would be a worse therapist than him, except maybe Franki Granger (the girl with the insane blog about her miscarriages).

The only reason I'm not sure whether I should report him is that his crazy is SO obvious, it would be impossible for them to miss it. I'm sure they do a comprehensive mental health screening before giving someone a career in social work, right?

I hope things go well. Don't forget that many, many people suffer from depression at some point in their lives. I imagine the "sensitive" gene that leads people to social work might make them even more susceptible. I hope your therapist is understanding, and yes, I think magenta is appropriate!

A tangential question about this (I really don't mean to hijack this great nail polish thread, but it came to mind and isn't worth starting a new thread)... I have this "friend" who is just batshit crazy, I mean self-destructive, stalkerish, occasionally psychotic, and always extremely needy and insecure. He has been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons at least 8 or 9 times.

He recently emailed me to tell me he is applying to graduate programs for social work so that he can become a therapist. I haven't responded to his email because I don't know what to say to him; if I said "DON'T DO IT" he'd just ignore me and get petulant. Should I be trying to report him to some social worker boards or something? I can't imagine anyone who would be a worse therapist than him, except maybe Franki Granger (the girl with the insane blog about her miscarriages).

The only reason I'm not sure whether I should report him is that his crazy is SO obvious, it would be impossible for them to miss it. I'm sure they do a comprehensive mental health screening before giving someone a career in social work, right?

Is he 5150? I would think that when he goes to talk to an admissions counselor someone would say something about it not being a good line of work... Also if he ever did apply for work, wouldn't a background check alarm any potential employers?

IDK, I wanted to do social work really really badly, but was told it was better not to, because I'm a really sensitive empathetic person, and that the job would eventually consume my life.

which I thought about long and hard and eventually realized they were right

Is he 5150? I would think that when he goes to talk to an admissions counselor someone would say something about it not being a good line of work... Also if he ever did apply for work, wouldn't a background check alarm any potential employers?

IDK, I wanted to do social work really really badly, but was told it was better not to, because I'm a really sensitive empathetic person, and that the job would eventually consume my life.

I don't know if he's ever been 5150 but I wouldn't be surprised. I do know he collects disability because of his problems, so it's definitely on the books.

I really hope you're right and someone will talk him out of it before he even gets a degree...

I think it's wise of you to have reconsidered social work if you thought it would consume you. It strikes me as SUCH an emotionally taxing profession, even for people who are really stable to begin with. I greatly admire anyone who can do it; I am sure I never could.

I don't know if he's ever been 5150 but I wouldn't be surprised. I do know he collects disability because of his problems, so it's definitely on the books.

I really hope you're right and someone will talk him out of it before he even gets a degree...

I think it's wise of you to have reconsidered social work if you thought it would consume you. It strikes me as SUCH an emotionally taxing profession, even for people who are really stable to begin with. I greatly admire anyone who can do it; I am sure I never could.

I have an extremely addictive personality. That coupled with being overly empathetic towards peoples situations, I could already see what kind of future I would have. I'd probably be tired and emotionally spent by the time I hit 45. I wan't to save people from their pain, but I knew I can't save everyone. I know I can't deal with emotional trauma that isn't mine, I wouldn't know how to keep my work apart from my personal life. I hugely admire anyone who can do those types of service. Especially with the abused kids, my heart just breaks for kids.

Trying to respond to both, and I'm just in my first year of classes and my field placement has been delayed another year because I was in and out of the hospital and did not complete my two fall classes.

I'm a really sensitive and empathetic person as well and my direct job job, while draining, is really helping my learn how to separate work and home. It's also not exactly the target population I want to work with, but I think I'm learning some good skills on how to cope and destress. Baths, playing with makeup again- haven't properly done that since middle school, and now exercising at a gym. Reading for school can help distract me and before I was doing classes I tried to get fun stuff from the library. I figure talking to a therapist will also help. (I'm working with elders with a developmental disability and behavioral issues. My dream population is with LGBT elders, or just elders in general or LGBT populations. I loved my volunteer work with elders with dementia and my death and dying classes, so I would love experience in end-of-life care.)

I think your friend/acquaintance may have a lot of good insight to offer his clients, as long as he has his meds and whatever treatment to aid him. I just read "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Jamison, a psychiatrist diagnosed with manic-depressive disorder. She describes her work and how she copes with her illness and the insight it as provided when working with clients, especially her struggle to take lithium and finding the proper dosage. I'm sure as long as he has whatever supports he needs (and uses his vacation time at whatever job he has) he would be a good one. /optimistichopeforeveryone

If not.... if seems like there is a weeding out process and the professors may know what to look for and may either encourage that he seek help, or a different field, or just not write as glowing a recommendation letter if he ever looks for jobs. But that is a scary thought. My friend's ex is a nurse, and while he seems like a nice, quiet guy, he was a manipulative and cruel partner and stalked her after their break up. I hope to never have to go to the hospital where he works.

I think your friend/acquaintance may have a lot of good insight to offer his clients, as long as he has his meds and whatever treatment to aid him. I just read "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Jamison, a psychiatrist diagnosed with manic-depressive disorder. She describes her work and how she copes with her illness and the insight it as provided when working with clients, especially her struggle to take lithium and finding the proper dosage. I'm sure as long as he has whatever supports he needs (and uses his vacation time at whatever job he has) he would be a good one. /optimistichopeforeveryone

If not.... if seems like there is a weeding out process and the professors may know what to look for and may either encourage that he seek help, or a different field, or just not write as glowing a recommendation letter if he ever looks for jobs. But that is a scary thought. My friend's ex is a nurse, and while he seems like a nice, quiet guy, he was a manipulative and cruel partner and stalked her after their break up. I hope to never have to go to the hospital where he works.

Thanks for this answer. I've met Kay Jamison and heard her speak, and she is a great example of someone with mental illness who is using her experience to help others in the same boat. She is wise, clever, and understanding, and she has managed to master her illness in a hard-won battle. Unfortunately, my friend is not like that, and I doubt he will ever be (although of course I hope I'm wrong). He is *so* far from getting his illness under control. He continues to be hospitalized regularly and to commit semi-violent acts against himself and others. The fact that he is pursuing a career as a therapist seems to be just more evidence of his craziness.

I hope to God he gets weeded out; it will be tough on him, but it has to happen. I still wonder if I should try to respond to his e-mail and say something, but I don't know how.

Thanks for this answer. I've met Kay Jamison and heard her speak, and she is a great example of someone with mental illness who is using her experience to help others in the same boat. She is wise, clever, and understanding, and she has managed to master her illness in a hard-won battle. Unfortunately, my friend is not like that, and I doubt he will ever be (although of course I hope I'm wrong). He is *so* far from getting his illness under control. He continues to be hospitalized regularly and to commit semi-violent acts against himself and others. The fact that he is pursuing a career as a therapist seems to be just more evidence of his craziness.

I hope to God he gets weeded out; it will be tough on him, but it has to happen. I still wonder if I should try to respond to his e-mail and say something, but I don't know how.

I... uh, well then, hope he chooses a different career path. I don't want to discriminate but the poor guy needs to get his shit in gear before he can really think about being a social worker. (Hell, I'm worried about getting my own shit in gear and my field placements are well over a year away) Granted, Kay Jamison also discussed violent episodes, but she had a very good support network and was actively seeking help.

So high school! No mature people here?

Judging from your comments here, I doubt any mature people would care to engage in a mature conversation with you.

So high school! No mature people here?

The mature people are having a mature discussion without you, dear. Go finish watching Sesame Street and maybe we'll be done when it is over! :lol:

The mature people are having a mature discussion without you, dear. Go finish watching Sesame Street and maybe we'll be done when it is over! :lol:

Or, alternately; Shh, grown ups are talking.

I don't think it is Diane. She tends to launch into diatribes. A 1-word answer would be too painful for her.

About a more worthy topic, my daughter wants her nails light blue with dark blue cheetah spots. I am going to give it a try. If it does not work, there's always nail polish remover, right?

It may not be the Diane, but it's a Diane - check out her email address, it's visible on her posts.

To get back on the topic of nails, MandyLaLa, I love that color! My husband got me a gift certificate to the local spa for Christmas, and I kind of really want to go for a pedicure now, but it's still winter and what good is getting my toes all pretty if I still have to wear shoes and socks, so I'm trying to hold off until springtime hits. I could go for a manicure, I suppose, but I'm more of a pedicure kind of gal.

It may not be the Diane, but it's a Diane - check out her email address, it's visible on her posts

Am I looking in the wrong place for the email adys? I can't see them.

Look in the members list then click on her user name. Mouse hover over email and it comes up.

Archived