IGNORED

How Does It All Start?

MandyLaLa

And I really don't care what other people think....especially self-proclaimed former fundies.

It isn't really what people think, it is a fact. You support gender segregation, a separate but equal bullshit based soley on genitalia.

So now you're pulling things out of thin air. I have no idea where you're getting the African American thing from...you're own imagination perhaps?

It is a test. If one changes the word woman for African American and it sounds racist....well then it is likely sexist, bigoted and discriminatory. It doesn't have to come from my imagination, it is a test.

Guest Anonymous

And I really don't care what other people think....especially self-proclaimed former fundies.

Why especially former fundies? Because they've let go of something that you cling to, and you resent them for it?

You know, you say that you don't care what other people think, but your actions disprove it. You're very invested in being here and posting here, and I think you want to fit in and be accepted. Unfortunately for you, your lack of self-awareness and your hypocrisy is standing firmly in your way.

You say you're not a fundie, but you proudly hold fundamentalist beliefs. You want to separate yourself from the people we snark on by snarking on them yourself, but your beliefs are much more in line with the average fundie than the average non-fundie FJer.

I wonder what motivates you to spend so much time somewhere that is so hostile to your beliefs? Your avatar is a stellar example of defensiveness, but it's reading as self-loathing, too.

I think you want to belong to the community but you've blown any chance of that happening so now you're bouncing between being as difficult as possible and posting snark in the hopes that people will forget how you acted and accept you, but Free Jinger never forgets. And what happened to the apology for acting so unchristlike? Apologizing and then immediately returning to the behavior you apologized for makes you look insincere and kind of loony. At this point I think you're like a little kid who wants attention more than anything, and will settle for negative attention if she can't get the positive sort.

I don't think it's very healthy.

Why especially former fundies? Because they've let go of something that you cling to, and you resent them for it?

You know, you say that you don't care what other people think, but your actions disprove it. You're very invested in being here and posting here, and I think you want to fit in and be accepted. Unfortunately for you, your lack of self-awareness and your hypocrisy is standing firmly in your way.

You say you're not a fundie, but you proudly hold fundamentalist beliefs. You want to separate yourself from the people we snark on by snarking on them yourself, but your beliefs are much more in line with the average fundie than the average non-fundie FJer.

I wonder what motivates you to spend so much time somewhere that is so hostile to your beliefs? Your avatar is a stellar example of defensiveness, but it's reading as self-loathing, too.

I think you want to belong to the community but you've blown any chance of that happening so now you're bouncing between being as difficult as possible and posting snark in the hopes that people will forget how you acted and accept you, but Free Jinger never forgets. And what happened to the apology for acting so unchristlike? Apologizing and then immediately returning to the behavior you apologized for makes you look insincere and kind of loony. At this point I think you're like a little kid who wants attention more than anything, and will settle for negative attention if she can't get the positive sort.

I don't think it's very healthy.

Well said. Geniebelle, you can disagree with whomever you chose and still be liked and respected, but the way you go about it reminds me of how my son was in middle school when he was becoming more independent and challenged EVERYTHING I said and did. It greatly annoyed me. Think about what lissar said; it really makes sense.

For me (not that I got that deep into fundieness) a lot of it was low self-esteem and wanting to be accepted and 'good enough'. Like, if I had 10 kids and homeschooled them all while wearing a headcovering God would love me more.

I think that is how my mom started. When you are unhappy/unloved, it's really easy to fall into that promise of a God that loves you if you do A,B,C,jump through this hoop, and stand on your head. Then she married the wrong person (the pastor was told by God that they should get married), and it progressed from there.

For me it was being invited to ride a sunday school bus with the promise of a free goldfish. And if my friend Mollie's bus had the most riders the driver would swallow a goldfish! (It did, and he did.)

The name of the church was literally Fundamental Bible Baptist Church. :lol: Too bad my non religious family was utterly unprepared for the great sucking vortex I was stepping off into.

I mean this seriously. Once I was "saved" and started seeing the world as us (cue music, "Who is on the lord's side?") vs. them (which included my family) I was a goner. It really is too bad my parent's weren't more informed, and more motivated to learn about what I was getting into.

That crap sucked away 20 years of my life.

But, to paraphrase Leo in Titanic, "Now here I am on the grandest board in the world with you fine people."

As a non-fundie, I imagine that companionship and fitting in could likely be a big part of it. Starting at a young age, with youth groups and all, kids who don't fit can find a new life (and social circle) in Jesus. One subcultural study I read talked about how being a member of the college Christian scene was really more of an identity strategy. Lots of the people in the group had 'failed' at normal socialization and things like dating and so forth, so being a part of a group that eschewed partying and sex was better for self esteem and self concept. So, a girl who was a virgin and couldn't get a date found comfort in deciding that she didn't WANT to be in the normal social scene. You can't lose a game if you refuse to play.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/recently-bornagain-christian-finally-has-social-li,457/

Archived