IGNORED

RIGHT NOW "To Train up a Child" is on the Duggars' site

Elle

7basicneeds.png

On the front page. Anytime you need a fucking disclaimer on something youre touting is when you should know to TAKE IT THE FUCK DOWN!

"Mighty Young Men?" What about the girls? Was there a girls' "fun section" when you scrolled down, Buzzard?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote that when I was still regularly posting on FJ, and was definitely pissed about J-Chelle's behavior regarding Josie and a whole bunch of other things...as is pretty evident from the blog post, ha.

Sorry I've been gone for a while (but my husband still lurks here--twas how I found out about the fact my blog post was being shared). I had to take a break because of A) depression B) schoolwork C) I was honestly starting to get triggered by some of the fundie stories, causing me to have more anxiety and PTSD issues. So, I took a prolonged break. Maybe once my meds are up to speed I'll join up again...but popped in to say thanks for sharing my blog post. It's so nice to see that it's still useful for people--makes me feel good :)

I wish you the best of luck. Make sure to take care of yourself. No one's going to hold it against you for no longer always putting yourself last. :) And thank you for sharing that. It helps bring to light not only that Michelle has long supported whacking babies with objects, but it shows that there is an attempt at hiding the fundy queen's actions. If they were so mild and good, why the need to hide?

When you're ready to come back, you'll be welcome. :)

On the front page. Anytime you need a fucking disclaimer on something youre touting is when you should know to TAKE IT THE FUCK DOWN!

Yup. I also seriously doubt they're against abuse if accepting it is in an article they promote and pass out. All this comes off as is a poor attempt at not promoting abuse. "Disclaimer: We advocate abuse, but to make everyone like us, we'll also say the opposite." Can't court both sides at the same time.

No, theres nothing below, just the "dynamic daughters". They are openly touting ATI and Journey to the heart though...

atiduggar.png

And that "Practical Family Resources" link goes to the ever-cheery world of the Maxwells. :cry:

And here's a link to Dougie's world!

If you ever want to play Six Degrees of Fundy Royalty, Dougie and VF would make them all two degrees apart or less.

It was on their very first, pre-duggarfamily.com domain website, then it was off again. Then they posted the Amazon Blitz and, even though the promotional period is over, they've left it up.

So many people think that the kids smiling means they're happy. There's a misunderstanding about how a cult works. In a cult, people learn to do what you tell them. Jonestown didn't happen by everyone having poison forced into their mouths. They had drills to train them to do as they were told without thinking. If cult training can be used to get people to kill themselves, it sure as hell can be used to teach kids to smile whenever there's a camera nearby.

Also Southerners are well-known for being able to lay on the sugar thickly over a layer of venom. "Bless his/her/your heart" is a well-known passive-aggressive phrase used to excuse insults. It runs deeper than that though. (Nothing against all Southerners - plenty are truly kind people who can't stand the saccharine. But I think you all know the kind I mean. The fake-nice as a veneer.) I'll bet Jchelle can be a really catty bitch when the cameras are off.

LOL! I know about the "sugar" and "Bless your heart!" I haaaaaate when people do that as a veneer... I know some older people who are actually just that sweet. But yeah... we have our quirks, I guess. :) (I'm from Mississippi, born and raised!)

Am I the only one who has a problem with their prison ministry? I feel like it's a big manipulative to take advantage of them. They're a captive audience and while I'm sure they can technically refuse, it would cause a lot of problems for them. I feel like it's even worse than the Maxwells preaching at a nursing home. I just think people in places like those have so little control over their lives that they are very vulnerable.

I do think this whole thing will get exposed in some way thought. TMZ cared when John David was being very irresponsible with guns. Yeah, they're not some major news show, but they have at least some audience. I only wish that Anderson Cooper could have seen this BEFORE he did that little fluff piece on the family, because he gave the Pearls a really hard time. I think once the TLC cameras are off, the Duggars will let more things like this slip, and it will eventually make it into the mainstream media.

@warpedfactor9: I don't think they're counting either miscarriage. They have a family of 20 total, including the parents. They've been using that shtick since Josie was born, long before the miscarriage fiasco.

I posted this on the other thread -- mods may want to merge.

In any case, this page:

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/amazon_blitz

which has the endorsement of NGJ, is from a sale that happened last summer. Scroll down and you'll see that it ran for three days in June, 2011.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to get to that page, or anything that recommends the Pearls, from the current Duggar home page. If you click on "store," it goes here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... &sp=113637

These folks carry some Pearl stuff, but don't seem to have TTUAC.

They do have the "Jumping Ship" book, though -- does anyone know if it is as heinous as TTUAC? There is a preview on the site, which is pretty offensive, but doesn't get into whipping and guilting killing spirits, in those few pages:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... ction=Next

I think it's more telling that TTUAC and a full endorsement of NGJ was there before the shit hit the fan for the Pearls, and now seems to be gone. I think the Duggars want to continue to hide what they really do and believe.

I just was reading "Jumping Ship." I am truly sickened. What awful, hateful, manipulative monsters would actually author such a bunch of crap. Unbelievable. I only read two pages. Thanks for the education.

LOL! I know about the "sugar" and "Bless your heart!" I haaaaaate when people do that as a veneer... I know some older people who are actually just that sweet. But yeah... we have our quirks, I guess. :) (I'm from Mississippi, born and raised!)

Dont forget about the new one "I am just saying". Anytime someone says that, I have to counter it with you are just saying you are a bitch.

Am I the only one who has a problem with their prison ministry? I feel like it's a big manipulative to take advantage of them. They're a captive audience and while I'm sure they can technically refuse, it would cause a lot of problems for them. I feel like it's even worse than the Maxwells preaching at a nursing home. I just think people in places like those have so little control over their lives that they are very vulnerable.

I've got an even bigger problem with going to third world countries where people are so poorly educated in anything at all and taking the promise of food and clothing and medicine while clearly having the motive to use those things to force people to listen. If you've got a few starving kids and a couple are sick and some white devils appear with what you need to help your babies live, you'd probably be afraid to offend them by not listening, and them taking the food and medicine away. So you'll sit. You'll listen. You'll let your kids be brainwashed to make sure they at least live.

They have a family of 20 total, including the parents. They've been using that shtick since Josie was born, long before the miscarriage fiasco.

21. 19 living kids, two adults. They should rename the show 21 and Counting. 21 kids? Or family size of 21?

That was their first book which came out before Josie was born. 18 kids, sperm donor and baby cooker makes 20. So no, J'Caleb wasn't being counted then, either.

The website is so commercial these days. Promoting everything 'Duggar' and beyond. (Where is the vomit smiley?)

Years ago it was just recipes and photos and such. Now there are links to everywhere and beyond.

I can only hope the show gets cancelled, some of the kids get out, are able to pull from the experiences they've have and are able to readjust to life outside Tonitown.

Hypothetical situation: let's say the show is cancelled and sometime later, J'chelle writes another book and they all head out again to our local B & N's. Will there be anyone there to protect them from the visitors asking hard-hitting questions while in the book signing line? ( I'm assuming they have TLC handlers now to guide the more negative people away.). How much help would the bookstore staff be? At the signings I've been to, they usually introduce the author then go off to their other duties. Would they really take up the blanket-training fight for JimBoob for $9.50 an hour?

I've read TTUAC beginning to end--it used to be free online--and it's easy to see how many readers could find it harmless and even benign. The really scary stuff isn't in TTUAC--it's in the Michael Pearl blog entries (many of which were captured on our old site) and on a video clip a blogger posted. That's where you find the ugly stuff about systematically whipping a three-year-old who put her shoes on the wrong feet and wouldn't fetch the eggs from the henhouse (IIRC), casually hitting the legs of a two-year-old with a belt for running outside without permission, and whaling a kid over and over again for not "being sweet" (video showing Mike and Debi before an adoring audience, whapping the butt of a cloth doll with a stick--stomach-turning visual aid--as the audience howled with laughter).

I just was reading "Jumping Ship." I am truly sickened. What awful, hateful, manipulative monsters would actually author such a bunch of crap. Unbelievable. I only read two pages. Thanks for the education.

You're welcome, and the answer to your question, of course, is "the same kind of awful, hateful, manipulative monsters who would write To Train Up a Child. But you knew that, I'm sure.

That need to control, control, control -- it is so pathological.

Good grief! Actually hitting the doll as a demo? And if it was aimed at their own crowd, I bet it wasn't the little love taps that AC got from Pearl right? Is the clip still up? We need that for the media, too.

I just clicked the link and that blanket is made at the company I used to work for! :o Of course, there was a lot of fundie-lite Christians that worked there when I was there three years ago so not a huge surprise.

Well, to be fair about the blanket, I think, in our minds, the "Train up a child" verse is forever tainted by the association with the Pearls. Knowing about "blanket training" makes the fact that it's on a blanket even more disgusting, given the association.

As it happens, the Pearls don't actually describe "blanket training" in that book, and I don't know if it is anywhere on their site, but it is certainly their style.

And I'm sure there are lovely people who interpret that verse in ways that only lead to treating their children well, and I assume (and sure as hell hope!) there are people buying that blanket just to keep their children warm.

I have to hold on to that image. :cry:

Edited for shinning riffle

In the disclaimer that says a woman who is being abused should seek outside help immediately, they probably mean a Christian counselor who can tell her why its her own fault. I don't think they actually want a woman to go to the police, or run away from her headship.

In the disclaimer that says a woman who is being abused should seek outside help immediately, they probably mean a Christian counselor who can tell her why its her own fault. I don't think they actually want a woman to go to the police, or run away from her headship.

Or, they mean she should go to her pastor who will tell her she is not keeping sweet enough and has been infected by the virus of feminism.

Archived