IGNORED

Brandy starts over, all over again.

oscar

They need to get those kids in public schools, and Brandy needs to see a real doctor.

Stockpiling wheat in a small trailer? WTF?

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need to get those kids in public schools, and Brandy needs to see a real doctor.

Stockpiling wheat in a small trailer? WTF?

The food-caching thing doesn't trouble me per se. A roommate and I used to store bulk food in our tiny Manhattan apartment, saving quite a bit of money between us. It's the fact that Brandy and Jason dropped around $1k (Coconut oil @$60/gal x 2, $200 grain mill, 60lb honey @ $160, "a bunch" Teeccino @$8 ea., "pricier" Chinese tea, wheat buckets @ $39.75 x 6 + $12 shipping) on stuff she has never used or even seen before, when she has an acknowledged history of seizing on fads and dropping them just as quickly. Brandy's lack of self-insight is astonishing.

And she's back to headcoverings...

I want the last bit of clothes I bought {a few skirts for each of us and some new Christian shirts} to be the last I buy for us girls. If I can at all help it.

Yep. As soon as she can sew a blouse, those man t-shirts will be gone forever. PTL :D

Stock piling isn't automatically bad. I know quite a few families that stock pile and none of them are fundy and most aren't even Christian. Having a stock pile and a well stocked pantry makes sense.

I didn't know tee shirts were for men...guess I'll have to give my pink tee shirt with ruffly sleeves to my husband then.

Stock piling isn't automatically bad. I know quite a few families that stock pile and none of them are fundy and most aren't even Christian. Having a stock pile and a well stocked pantry makes sense.

I agree with this - we've saved a lot of money and made it through some difficult financial situations by stocking up on food. Our biggest savings come from buying seasonal produce in bulk and preserving it by freezing, drying or canning for use throughout the year. However, it doesn't make any sense to spend more than a thousand dollars from a limited household budget on large quantities of unfamiliar foodstuff. That's a recipe for waste, especially with someone like Brandy who develops intense interests that she subsequently drops just as abruptly.

With the exception of t-shirts (my ancient Singer doesn't handle jersey well), jeans and certain bridesmaid dresses, I make all of my own clothes now. It was a slow process. Every time I wanted to add a new handmade garment to my repertoire, there was a learning curve. When I made something that is not very flattering, I could sink it into my existing wardrobe and style it with other, better-looking garments until it wore out. Someone who does not sew and yet intends to make all of her own clothes going forward is going to drop a whole bunch of unattractive clothes into her wardrobe all at the same time, and the change is unlikely to be sustainable. It's that same binge-and-purge mentality Brandy brings to all of her interests.

Very few of Brandy's actions are particularly snarkworthy in isolation, I think. It's the way she abruptly cycles and veers through different activities, interests and lifestyles that is troubling. If the actions she takes in real life mirror her online discourse, this must be very disconcerting to her children.

Someone who does not sew and yet intends to make all of her own clothes going forward is going to drop a whole bunch of unattractive clothes into her wardrobe all at the same time, and the change is unlikely to be sustainable. It's that same binge-and-purge mentality Brandy brings to all of her interests.

My eye-rolling over her latest post was so extreme it was audible. I'm surprises they didn't also purchase sheep, a spinning wheel, and a loom for this latest venture.

My favorite quote from the stockpiling post:

"Found a couple Chinese teas that, while on the pricier side, were really surprisingly good!"

Man...those Chinese - they can make all this glorious crap for our dollar stores AND grow good tea? How DO they do it?!?

Oh, lord.

She's doing a "bit of work" on the blog this weekend. What can we expect next week?

I'm with Oscar and the others who said it's not that she's stockpiling but how and why. I recently invested in a great big sack of brown rice. But I'd already been buying brown rice in smaller quantities from the supermarket for some time, so I know that I can and will eat a lot of it, and would be buying it anyway. Once I got it home, I immediately divided it up into smaller airtight containers and put them all away in my kitchen cupboards. I estimate that by buying in bulk something that I knew I would have bought anyway, I'm going to save about $40 over the next four months. I also buy olive oil 4L at a time, and decant it into a smaller container for daily use.

But I wouldn't bulk buy something I hadn't used before. The potential for wasted money and food is too great.

I'm with Oscar and the others who said it's not that she's stockpiling but how and why. I recently invested in a great big sack of brown rice. But I'd already been buying brown rice in smaller quantities from the supermarket for some time, so I know that I can and will eat a lot of it, and would be buying it anyway. Once I got it home, I immediately divided it up into smaller airtight containers and put them all away in my kitchen cupboards. I estimate that by buying in bulk something that I knew I would have bought anyway, I'm going to save about $40 over the next four months. I also buy olive oil 4L at a time, and decant it into a smaller container for daily use.

But I wouldn't bulk buy something I hadn't used before. The potential for wasted money and food is too great.

They are champion wasters. Every time they change their lives, they change everything in their lives. Throw away jeans and buy dresses. Two months later, throw away dresses and buy jeans. Throw away movies and music that isn't Christian then a month later buy it all again. Play video games, get rid of them. Buy a domain, close it down and use Blogger, then buy another domain. Buy a thousand dollars worth of food never before seen or used, throw it away and say frozen waffles and pizza are absolutely fine. Christmas is not Christian, throw away the tree and decorations, then buy new ones when the holidays roll around and you feel you're missing out.

Their waste is indicative of their overall instability.

To me, it makes no sense. She has bought all this stuff, great sacks and tubs of grains etc. Brandy is so flakey and she swings from one thing to another so quickly. The novelty of having all these grains, legumes etc will wear off and they will just be sat there.

If you are going to use the stuff, go for it. But going by Brandy's track record, she'll lose interest and it will all be a waste of money. I buy large sacks of rice, but we use a lot of rice. We eat it (family of 4) around 3 or 4 times a week. I started buying large sacks from an asian food store a few years ago as the price of basmati rice can be volatile so buying large sacks which I know we will use, when the price is cheap saves us money - plus I never run out of rice.

The way to make major changes is slowly. Start small and take little steps to incorporate the changes. This increases your chances of actually making the change, but it also allows you to learn something in the process. Just deciding to buy multiple giant tubs of stuff you've never used before will leave you overwhelmed and increases your chances of giving up.

Which explains pretty much exactly why they never stick to anything. They don't know how to progressively make changes. They don't know how to learn as they go along. They read a certain type of blog for a few weeks and decide that is the way to live and BAM! they go all out, all at once, trying to be just like their favorite of the week. They have no support, guidance or other people with real experiences and opinions to talk to about any changes they want to make. So, they just go for it and they fail every single time. They are spinning their wheels and it is very sad and I can't imagine how scary their lives are, never knowing what is what. Not just the kids, but them too. The way they change so fast, how can they ever plan for the future? They never know what their beliefs, values or way of life will be a month from the here and now. That in and of itself is crazy making.

It also means that they are probably not taken seriously by anyone other than their favorite blogger at the time; whoever they are trying to emulate. Now, Candy is their best friend and full of support. But, we all know how often and fast that changes.

All right, fj'ers, now's your chance! She even specifically calls us out!

themanydailyblessings.blogspot.com/

I have no idea why these people think we're all so mean. Snarking on crappy conditions for kids to live in yes, being mean no.

I also have to defend Free Jinger here. I've only been reading this site for a short while now and I have to say that no one on this site is mean about anyone who doesn't deserve it. There have been several instances where someone will start a snarky thread on a fairly nice, halfway normal fundy and other Free Jingerites will call them out on it. In Brandy's case I've seen some encouraging her weight loss and only snarking on her outfits because they are really unflattering on her new body. I've also seen many support her stockpiling. As far as Brandy goes, compared to a lot of people we discuss here, everyone is pretty easy on her.

I asked her a question too, and I was nice about it. I have a feeling that many fundie bloggers attribute any nasty comments to FJ.

I don't think we are quite as interested in her as she thinks we are....mostly we feel really sorry for her kids....

I just clicked on this topic because it had grown to five pages (and sometimes that means that something more is going on than a topic title would suggest - lol) and I have to agree. *yawn*

Archived